This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Chat about the latest toys and innovations.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#175308 by GuitarMikeB
Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:12 pm
Went to change the strings on my new a/e and the bridge pins were stuck in solid. I have a pin puller end on both of my peg winders, but could not budge them. Put a jewlers screwdriver under one, got it loose, then out with the pin puller. Next one: *SNAP* head breaks right off the pin! Next 2, same thing, broken. Next one, pin came out, last one, snap-broken again!
Strings were already loose, of course. I reached into the guitar but with finger pressure those broken pins are not popping out. If this was an old guitar, I'd drill out the pins enough to break 'em apart, and hopefully not damage the bridge holes, but since its still under the 30 day warranty, I'm bringing it back to GC to get them to fix it!

#175641 by gbheil
Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:18 am
Man that bites.

I hate equipment issues like that.

Hope you warranty covers it without any BS from GC.

At a thought by otp's post I have to wonder if overnight in a dry environment (such as a water heater closet ) might not make those pins pop right out.

#175672 by GuitarMikeB
Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:38 pm
It's back at GC now, will pick it up tomorrow morning. Even if I hadn't put a 12 month warranty on it (it was used) for $20, the assistant manager (Nashua store - Chris S) would have done it for free - when I mentioned I would pay for new pins, he said it wasn't a problem, even not knowing I had the warranty on it.
The guitar tech took a quick try on the pins and said he would have to drill them out.
We suspect that the pins were inserted when the guitar was new (and dry?) and were too tight to start with and hadn't been budged since new.

#175728 by gbheil
Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:19 pm
I suspect the lacquer was not set and they glued those freakers in. :?

#175806 by GuitarMikeB
Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:09 am
Got it back today, they threw new strings on it, and replaced the pins with decent ones. The tech said the factory ones were cheap plastic and had been jammed in, probably by the first owner.

Guitar Center in Nashua is a good example of how a big chain store CAN be run somewhat correctly!

#175910 by gbheil
Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:25 pm
8)

#176370 by GuitarMikeB
Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:17 pm
Practice Wednesday night; TWANG!!! as G-string broke right at the bridge. Guess GC did NOT put new strings on it, they just restrung the old ones :roll:
I put a set of 011 Elixers on last night - after a quick polish of the bridge with a sanding sponge to ensure no burrs, sounding good now!

#176390 by gbheil
Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:00 pm
I rarely break strings.
So much so I cannot remember the last time I actually did.
Utilizing D'Addario 10's
When my 10 pack box is diminished ( at at this summer sweat & rust rate it wont be long ) I intent to move up to 11's to gain hopefully a little fuller tone off the neck pup of my Gibson ES339 semi-hollow.

I've also taken to using Big Bends Nut Sauce at the nut & saddles.
It really does seem to aid in gaining and maintaining tune.
I would also say that it makes less stretch / break in necessary.
Though it be hard if not impossible to prove either of these assertions.