This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Chat about the latest toys and innovations.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#172457 by Solua
Tue May 08, 2012 2:43 pm
So I'm building a small set of MIDI controls to fit to my guitar; the idea is to create something small that can fit a variety of applications. Four dials with a 'bank select' button to allow control of 8 effects in two seperate modes, and a couple of buttons for selecting, switching and tempo setting.

Not just for mounting on a guitar either; undo the velcro and attach it to your laptop or the wall behind your drumkit and modulate parameters in real-time without (or in combinations with) a dedicated controller setup (like a KaossPad, NanoPad, LPD8 etc).

My question to you is - what do you think? What features would you like in a device like this? How would you use it? Would you use it live?

I can make a demo track or two to show what can be done with something like this, or at least what I do with it.

#172467 by GuitarMikeB
Tue May 08, 2012 3:28 pm
How many people are really using computer FX for guitar live without using an external device? You need to convert the audio signal to digital then back again to audio to your amp/PA.
The Line 6 FBV MkII Shortboard and Express can be used to control MIDI software and devices. The Line 6 PODs do basically the same thing already, too.
A foot pedal controller is more practical for a guitarist, as you can't be playing and using your hands for adjustments at the same time.

#172502 by Starfish Scott
Tue May 08, 2012 5:12 pm
What button is it for the internet browser? lol

#172534 by Solua
Tue May 08, 2012 11:30 pm
Well the idea would be to control your sound quickly from wherever you are; much like using your volume pot to control your tone rather than turning down the overdrive (except fading in a delay, deepening a tremolo effect, sweeping a filter etc), except without running and dancing on your pedalboard. It does limit what you can play while you're adjusting the FX, but so long as you know what you're doing you can get the sound you want quickly (or cover everything in delay so no-one notices then take as long as you want ) :)

As far as people already having the gear goes most of these pedals deal with creating and controlling a whole sound - switching between patches to go from distortion to clean for example. This would focus on controlling the parameters within the sounds - think of it as four expression pedals for your hands.

Also hello!