This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Chat about the latest toys and innovations.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#168814 by jw123
Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:39 pm
I put a post up about using my POD PRO for my next gig, after tweaking on this thing for the last couple of weeks, yesterday I just hooked back straight into my Triple Rec and a pair of 4x12s and i think Im going to bypass the Pod for the amp.

There is just something about a good tube amp singing that you dont quite get out of the digital emulaters, so guys slap me silly.

I did find about a dozen great workable tones in the POD, but I guess Im back to a clean, raw and vintage channel on my head, LOL!

But on the other side of the coin I did get some great things dialed into the POD that whenever I get back recording Im sure I will use, just to have different amp voicings than I can get out of the REC!

But I guess in the end, for me, bigger is better for live work!

#168848 by J-HALEY
Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:52 pm
I agree John. That POD is great for practice and as a back up. If I had one I would take it to gigs just in case something happened to my amp.

#168879 by jw123
Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:16 pm
Haley I have my little Mesa Subway that I always carry with me to gigs as a back up.

The POD has a uneffected line out for reamping purposes, at one time I would run thru it and just run a wire into the pa from the POD unit then on to my Mesa and mic the cab for that, but it was just making all sort of cancellation issues, but it was really cool to have one set on clean and one on dirty and blending them that way, sometimes it would really fatten up the sound, but i just got tired of hooking all that stuff up.

If I were doing small lounge work, where volume is a real issue, not that its not in places that I play, but I have learned to get a pretty good volume level with good tone thru the years, but if I was doing a smaller type gig, maybe semi acoustic, the pod would be great for that.

Im not knocking the POD at all, because when I havent used it in a while its really neat to dial in all the different amp voicings, but realistically the more I programed it I was wanting to program it for every song and i could see that being a nightmare at a gig, cause we dont follow any set list, we just take off and whatever hits our fancy or whatever people request is where we go. So the simpler the better.
#169195 by Lizzy Janes Rescue
Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:32 am
jw123 wrote:There is just something about a good tube amp singing that you dont quite get out of the digital emulaters, so guys slap me silly.

AMEN!

I bought a POD 2.0 when they first came out. I use it as a headphone amp when I go on vacation but other than that it sits in a gig bag.

Tubes for me, tubes.

#169232 by gbheil
Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:01 pm
SLAP !

[img][img]http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm74/sanshouheil/Pedalboard001.jpg[/img][/img]

#169252 by Lizzy Janes Rescue
Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:43 am
Do you keep your pedals in that Kobalt toolbox or it this an honest to goodness garage band shot?

#169258 by gbheil
Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:52 pm
The tool chest is how we organize & transport our small gear. Cables, tools extra mics strings ETC to and from gigs.

The RX1200 in the photo is our "small venue" PA and serves as a back up if our main system were to fail.
As far as pedals ... I don't use them. With the exception of a BOSS TU-3 tuner and a DUNLOP CRYBABY on rare occasion.

That little CARVIN amp is a monster IMO.
I don't need nor want anything else in my signal chain.
I run it with the internal load on and feed all the sound through the monitors & mains as needed.

#169320 by jw123
Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:24 pm
George I guess Im confused so straighten me out, I dont see a cab for your guitar, so you use the internal load and just line the amp into the pa?

Is that what you are doing these days?

Had a great gig, I got the talk from our singer cause I got a little loud on stage, tee hee, isnt that what rock n roll is all about.

I found the sweet spot on my amp, I retubed a few monthes ago and i found the sweet singing spot, unfortunately it was a little bit loud for our singer, but it sure felt good.

I would kick in the TS for leads (I put it back in) and man it was just getting that perfect creamy breakup for leads, and all the tweaking I did on my delay pedal, it was just great. Fun gig all the way around!

#169328 by Soundchaser59
Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:18 pm
jw123 wrote:Haley I have my little Mesa Subway that I always carry......

Know e x a c t l y what you mean. Not knocking the PODs but there is something special about a real tube amp that can do a Vulcan mind meld with the guitar.

I had a Mesa Subway Rocket, man I regret letting go of that thing. Saving for another Mesa now, as a backup and partner in cirme for the Rivera Knucklehead 55 I love.

#169331 by jw123
Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:05 pm
SC I actually sold my rocket to a guy one time, but the deal was if he ever wanted to get rid of it, I would give him the same thing he gave me for it back, and I got it back.

Im glad I did, cause its one of the best little recording amps Ive ever owned, and just to carry around for a casual jam, or even in my live band, its a monster little amp. Very very underated in my opinion, I think if more people knew about them they would own them.

#169377 by gbheil
Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:01 am
That is correct JW ... no cab.
Or to be more precise the stage front and stage rear monitor field are my cab. As well as the "cab" for Jordan's guitar, Floyd's bass and Steven's drums via 7 mics.
Our stage environment is kinda "surround sound". I love it because my guitar, the bass, the drums, ETC sound essentially the same no matter where I am on that stage.

#169387 by Lizzy Janes Rescue
Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:32 am
sanshouheil wrote:That is correct JW ... no cab.
Or to be more precise the stage front and stage rear monitor field are my cab. As well as the "cab" for Jordan's guitar, Floyd's bass and Steven's drums via 7 mics.
Our stage environment is kinda "surround sound". I love it because my guitar, the bass, the drums, ETC sound essentially the same no matter where I am on that stage.

I completely get this. I reamp my tube amps a lot by connecting a Hot Plate or Minimass as the load and run it's line out to a power amp so I can set my volume at any level I want without tone change. It's a great way to use toneful little amps at gig volume. One bennefit is you know how you set in the mix this way.

What is that little Carvin? Does that say"Vintage 16"?. I didn't know they made that in a head. What power tube does that take, EL84s?

#169388 by Cajundaddy
Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:54 am
jw123 wrote:SC I actually sold my rocket to a guy one time, but the deal was if he ever wanted to get rid of it, I would give him the same thing he gave me for it back, and I got it back.

Im glad I did, cause its one of the best little recording amps Ive ever owned, and just to carry around for a casual jam, or even in my live band, its a monster little amp. Very very underated in my opinion, I think if more people knew about them they would own them.

Yep, a great amp in a tiny package. For kicks and grins JW, disconnect the internal combo spkr from the rocket and plug the amp into your 412 cab. Whew!

#169424 by jw123
Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:38 pm
Johnny it sounds great thru my Mesa 4x12 cab, I have that amp with me at gigs in case the big boy goes out, this weekend I actually slaved out of the big amp into the Subway and had it aimed at our drummer so he had his own guitar monitor.

I could do any gig we do with the Subway, I just have a few more tone choices out of the big amp, plus Im a typical male guitar player, bigger is better right! LOL

#169458 by gbheil
Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:18 pm
HDriffraff wrote:
sanshouheil wrote:That is correct JW ... no cab.

I completely get this. I reamp my tube amps a lot by connecting a Hot Plate or Minimass as the load and run it's line out to a power amp so I can set my volume at any level I want without tone change. It's a great way to use toneful little amps at gig volume. One bennefit is you know how you set in the mix this way.

What is that little Carvin? Does that say"Vintage 16"?. I didn't know they made that in a head. What power tube does that take, EL84s?

Yes the VINTAGE 16 utilizes EL84s. They produce it in a head and a combo version. I have been using a Carvin Nomad for several years and this little head gives me exactly the same tone.

Here's the link http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/VT16