This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Chat about the latest toys and innovations.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#154443 by Paleopete
Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:05 pm
Capt - My 73 Super is not AB 763, it's AB 1069 and I guess that's a typo. It has a 5U4 rectifier tube. They also used a couple of other circuits for the Super, I had to go through mine and check individual components to figure out just which one it is. IN a couple of cases only one or two resistors were changed. I'm not positive but I think the blackface used a GZ37 rectifier tube. GZ something anyway. It can't be completely blackfaced, that would mean a transformer. I've entirely rebuilt it, and after the minor cap changes it sounds great.

I don't remember if I posted a link here in this thread already, but you can hear it at low volume on the Southern Cross video I posted a while back. I used it on all electric guitar parts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKnqSKQCIs4

That's at low volume, around 3 1/2 or so for recording, it really sounds great cranked to 10. Unfortunately I couldn't do that, but didn't need that sound for this song anyway. I needed clean, which it does very nicely at low to medium volume levels. Bass was set to around 5 or so, before modifying it bass on 2 was boomy and out of control. Ugly sounding...

Anyway I thought I would fill you in on just what amp it is, CBS dropped the AB 763 circuit as soon as they ran out of parts around 70 or so, in some cases earlier I think. Some of the 69 and 70 amps still used it since they were still using existing in stock parts and just changed the faceplate. I don't remember a lot of the details, it's been 10 years since I looked up the info on this amp while rebuilding it. I had to know what circuit it was so I could have the right layout in front of me...I wanted to blackface it, but couldn't, and I've been very happy with the way it sounds as is.

#154471 by Starfish Scott
Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:05 pm
Yeah it's till closer to an AB 763 than not.

My junk is really in need of an overhaul anyway and to not mod it would mean that it wouldn't be useable with the current tonal aspects.

Give me AB 763 or give my amp death. If it sounds like sh*t, it is.

#154476 by Paleopete
Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:43 pm
Yep, you're right about that, mine is pretty close to the AB 763, except for the different rectifier and transformer, and a few other parts here and there to let it accept the different tube. Still pretty close, and I'm happy with the sound.

Good luck with yours, I hope it sounds as good as mine when it's done.

#154496 by Starfish Scott
Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:32 pm
Thanks Pete, so do I.. (blush)

#159883 by Dave Watson
Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:40 pm
I bought one of these once, it was being used as a PA in a bar. Got it for $150 and eventually I lopped off the 4 bottom speakers and stuck 2 10" EVM's in the remaining holes. It was my version of a twin, but more compact. The previous owner demonstrated it with just a maxed out EQ and it was very SRV'ish sounding with the 6X10 config...just wouldnt fit in my car!!

#165718 by Tennessee Jedi
Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:44 pm
This is my Twin
Its a '78 - one of the Ultra-linear models ... master volume ...
Not a fan of the master volume thing but overall I love the sound.
Yummy spring 'verb. Its kinda loud.

:D

#165867 by Lizzy Janes Rescue
Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:14 pm
Here's my little Fender

'78 silverface Vibro Champ
I changed the filter caps a few days ago then gave it a test drive cranked , boosted and driving a Marshall 412 cab full of greenbacks. It sounds anything but a little 5w Champ in this clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbvZ0DvtnS4