This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Post your ideas and questions to the BandMix Staff.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#2969 by Chemical Residue
Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:02 am
when I was selecting genres I noticed a lot of missing genres...One really big one that covers all of what I do (Electronica). This covers Techno, house, trance, and whatever else may come to mind. Anyone else agree? When someone goes searching for a certain type of performer they would generally start with their genre and maybe hit the sub-genre classifications after their search didnt merit any users. Please take this into consideration for us artists.

#2970 by Irminsul
Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:59 am
Damn good idea. I came on to BandMix as an electronic/trance artist and found the same thing you did (no real genres for these types of music). I think right now BandMix caters mostly to guitar bands, but as I said earlier, this will change with growth.

#3421 by BassBastard
Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:45 pm
There is not really any genre to describe my band... the losest I have come is Parlament Funkadelic being beaten to death by Pantera,slayer and primus...

So where do we go?

#3519 by Chemical Residue
Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:01 am
Sweet!!!! It looks like BMIX is goin to update the Genre log. I hope it happens soon!

#5076 by fogpeople
Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:35 am
+1. The genre classification could use some more major categories (electronic) and gobs and gobs of sub-categories.

I'd also add that "laptop/dj/loops" or whatever needs to be added as an instrument group in profiles and searches. These days lots of bands are using a sequence-trigger person, and sheesh bands have been playing with DJs for a LONG time now.

=============
fogpeople.org
=============
#10750 by TruckStopSushi
Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:05 pm
Chemical Residue wrote:when I was selecting genres I noticed a lot of missing genres...

I have to agree. We're not a mainstream genre in the U.S., but "J-Rock" and "J-Pop" are distinct genres in their own right. Grouping them into "Alternative Rock" or "Classic Rock" sends the wrong impression about what type of band we are.

The Advance Tag Editor in Microsoft's Windows Media player lists a number of genres. Some of them could be consolidated into one specific genre, and some of them would not apply here, but it's still a fairly comprehensive list. I've posted it as a text file on our website if anyone is interested:

http://www.truckstopsushi.com/genres.txt

#10753 by RhythmMan
Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:05 pm
I've been on sites where they don't recognize these styles:
- acoustic
- blues
- R & B
- Boogie
- Swing
And these are all styles that I play (along with rock, & several other styles as well . . . ).
Also, many of these site's don't even have a field called 'other!'
All sites seem to allow these styles, though:
>Rock
>punk
>country
>metal
Hmmm - is that some sort of statement on the public's taste for music?

#10757 by Irminsul
Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:01 pm
BluesRockFunkJazz wrote: Hmmm - is that some sort of statement on the public's taste for music?

Yes, and also a healthy dose of good old fashioned laziness. I love it when people laud the "diversity" on the music scene but cannot manage to give you one example of those diverse genres by name.

#13429 by guitarlesson
Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:20 am
On other sites I've seen simpler descriptors tha can be combined into a genre. For instance, Progressive or Retro could be combined with Rock or Metal to form Progressive Metal or Retro Rock, etc.

Side note: I'm REALLY hoping they add some Prog genres to the list... as that's what I am.

#13449 by Irminsul
Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:47 pm
fogpeople wrote:....I'd also add that "laptop/dj/loops" or whatever needs to be added as an instrument group in profiles and searches. These days lots of bands are using a sequence-trigger person, and sheesh bands have been playing with DJs for a LONG time now.
====

Sorry but laptops aren't instruments. Disciplines, maybe.

#13459 by guitarlesson
Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:22 pm
Irminsul wrote:Sorry but laptops aren't instruments. Disciplines, maybe.

I wholeheartedly disagree. I regard my computer as much an instrument as my guitar. (But now we're off topic.)

#13464 by RhythmMan
Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:18 pm
A computer can be a mixing tool, and a 'synchronizer' and recording medium and such . . .
Some software lets you insert notes into songs with the computer keyboard . . .
But, I don't think it's an instrument, either.
A guitar is an instrument. A piano is an instrument. A xylophone, a Hammer Dulcimer, a Gong; . . . all instruments.
I'd call a computer a tool.

#13467 by guitarlesson
Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:12 pm
RhythmMan_BluesRockFolk wrote:I'd call a computer a tool.

As is a guitar or any other "instrument" a tool. So what is an instrument? The dictionary defines it as:

"a device that requires skill for proper use"

Musical instruments are defined as such:

"any of various devices or contrivances that can be used to produce musical tones or sounds"

A computer fits well in this definition. I need not remind you the an electronic keyboard actually IS a computer, complete with processors, storage and memory.

Indeed, electric guitars were once frowned upon by the musical establishment. Before that, electronic organs were shunned. The pipe organ was deemed demonic by the catholic church. All of these "instruments" were once on the forefront of technology, and hense feared.

The fact is, I often play my computer as one would play a piano, assigning keys to trigger notes. I can play chords with it. I assign the track pad as a source of expression. It IS a musical instrument, and it produces sounds that cannot otherwise be achieved.

(But again... we're off topic)

#13468 by Irminsul
Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:18 am
No, incorrect. A musical instruments is a device that is designed for one purpose - to make music on it. Following your logic, a banjo is actually a doorstop merely because it can function as one.

#13470 by Starfish Scott
Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:33 am
(stifled giggle) lol