This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Post your ideas and questions to the BandMix Staff.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#13532 by guitarlesson
Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:24 am
Irminsul wrote:No, incorrect. A musical instruments is a device that is designed for one purpose - to make music on it. Following your logic, a banjo is actually a doorstop merely because it can function as one.

It's not my logic you're arguing with... it's the dictionary, which has a bit more authority. I'm not just saying "No! You're wrong!" I'm quoting sources based on research.

And following your logic, one could argue that a jug, washboard and wash tub are not musical instruments, but Jug Bands have a history going back over 70 years, while you with your opinions on the matter go back a mere 47.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jug_band

And why can't a banjo be a doorstop? It's probably a better use for one. :shock: :o :D

#13535 by Irminsul
Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:09 am
guitarlesson wrote:
Irminsul wrote:No, incorrect. A musical instruments is a device that is designed for one purpose - to make music on it. Following your logic, a banjo is actually a doorstop merely because it can function as one.

It's not my logic you're arguing with... it's the dictionary, which has a bit more authority. I'm not just saying "No! You're wrong!" I'm quoting sources based on research.

And following your logic, one could argue that a jug, washboard and wash tub are not musical instruments, but Jug Bands have a history going back over 70 years, while you with your opinions on the matter go back a mere 47.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jug_band

Yeah I thought I'd walk into it with that banjo comment. Poor banjo players, they get so much sh*t....

Anyway, I cannot see how you can compare a musical instrument to a computer not only because a musical instrument is, as I said, a piece of equipment specifically designed and crafted for one purpose...to make music...but for a more esoteric reason. You made mention of your comp being like a piano - you key in certain commands to make different tones and it plays them. Seriously, nothing could be further from the truth. I am a lifelong pianist, and I can tell you that its much MUCH more than striking a key with your finger. It is an immensely evocative, sensitive instrument capable of such a wide range of expression, that such one dimensional terms like note-on-note-off are totally off its charts. Even though I have used computers for 25 years, and still do every day, I would never propose that they are the same as these fine instruments, that are such an immediate outlet for a musicians soul. They cannot be replaced. Even now, when I submit compositions and scores to the various programs I participate in yearly, they call the computer recording of your piece, no matter how nicely crafted, a "MIDI realization" and nothing more. That's because it can NEVER be anything more.

Dueling with dictionaries is really a shallow form of discussion. There are issues here much too transcendant for that.

#13539 by guitarlesson
Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:49 am
Dang it dang it dang it! I really want to continue this... because I'm stubborn... and I'm enjoying this conversation... and I have more to say... (and, well, I'm right!) but... This is soooo off topic. We should really move it to another forum post, don't you think?

#13551 by RhythmMan
Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:03 pm
Hey, guitarlesson.
I think that I agree that a jug, washboard and wash tub are not musical instruments.
Instead, they are: a jug, a washboard and a wash tub.
They are things people used when they didn't have a real musical instrument available . . .
. . . hmmmm . . . .

#13582 by Irminsul
Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:36 pm
guitarlesson wrote:Dang it dang it dang it! I really want to continue this... because I'm stubborn... and I'm enjoying this conversation... and I have more to say... (and, well, I'm right!) but... This is soooo off topic. We should really move it to another forum post, don't you think?

Yeah I'd be for that. It's a great topic.
#20055 by aiki_mcr
Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:01 am
I don't play "classic" rock or "southern" rock or "insert lame category here" rock of any sort.

I play rock.

Rock and roll.

All kinds.

Rock and roll that people want to listen to.

Everything from Buddy Holly to Led Zeppelin to The Beatles to The Eagles to Black Sabbath to Chuck Berry to The Pretenders. You know, Rock and Roll.

I also play Pop.

All kinds.

I've been know to play Funk and Disco as well.

I've even dabbled in Country.

If I think it will be fun to play and I believe audiences will want to hear it, I'll play it. Simple as that.