This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Post your ideas and questions to the BandMix Staff.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#17954 by gronkbass
Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:53 pm
I've posted several mp3 files on my account, and they are consistently playing back slow. They sound awful in fact. It seems to be about 10% slower, and the notes are all down maybe a 5th.

Anyone have this problem?

#17977 by Irminsul
Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:31 pm
Hmmmm...I've never experienced that. Could it be your computer (connection, or some buffering phenomenon on your end)?

#18019 by gronkbass
Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:35 pm
Irminsul wrote:Hmmmm...I've never experienced that. Could it be your computer (connection, or some buffering phenomenon on your end)?

Possibly. I've put them up on a different server and had no trouble at all.

#18214 by gronkbass
Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:19 pm
In case anyone is interested, here is Bandmix's answer to my question about this:

The issue with the "chimpmonk" or "slow" effect is due to the way that the mp3 was originally encoded. Adobe Flash can handle most standard mp3 encodings with any bitrate. However, some mp3 encoders use "non-standard" encoding techniques that Adobe Flash can not handle... Namely the MP3-PRO encoding scheme.
When a file is encoded with the MP3-PRO setting the file seems to play too fast and makes the audio sound as if it were made by chipmonks. The solutions is to re-encode your mp3's with a standard MP3 codecs. BandMix will support CBR and VBR encoding -- at any bitrate.

I recommend using dbPowerAmp to encode MP3 files. It's a small, "right-mouse-click" type utility that makes encoding an MP3 a snap. Usig the standard settings in dbPowerAmp works great with BandMix.

Or you can download the free version of Switch Sound File Conversion Software Audio File Converter. http://www.nch.com.au/switch/index.html ... WAodhjNtaw

After you have installed the software onto your computer, open any music file in Switch. Then select 'File'. Then select 'Save File As' and lastly save the file as 'MPEG-Layer 3 (*mp3)'.

I'm going to give this a try...

Cheers!
-gronkbass

#18411 by gronkbass
Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:20 pm
Update (if anyone gives a crap):

I've tried everything suggested by Bandmix, and still my files sound like shiiiiit. Still very slow.

This is embarassing. I sound like a moron on qualudes.

Oh well. I guess no one will play with me now.

My goose is cooked.

#18980 by jimmydanger
Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:30 pm
I use MusicMatch to encode my MP3s, and I've never had any problems, the files play here and on MySpace fine.

#19841 by rcandrews
Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:54 pm
I have had this happen as well a year or so ago. I updated my MP3 player (iTunes) and it fixed it.

If the method mentioned by the Admin's isn't fixing it maybe you could shed some light on your operating system?

In the meantime I would recommend pulling the tracks down opposed to leaving them up until you figure it out, if you feel people will think you are a moron that is.

I will go listen and download if I can to maybe hear what's going on. If you want me to even bother?

One thing for sure the site is worth taking the time to figure out the problem.

I met my wife, drummer / bass player here. The wife is a vocalist and flute player and at the audition we just hit it off.

Anyway good luck!

Peace,
Rob

#19842 by rcandrews
Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:58 pm
Obviously I was unable to reference the tracks to anything. One thing is certain the recording quality is pretty damn clean.

Peace,
Rob

#20182 by cliff keller
Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:21 am
Band mix plays back MP3s too slow? I have the exact same problem on a bunch of my songs. As to the proposed solution of downloading new software to fix it, this doesn't seem right. My MP3s seem to play fine for everyone else, this seems to be a BandMix-specific problem. I am not happy about this at all. Why isn't this addressed in the FAQ section of the site?
cliff keller

#20250 by BMix
Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:02 pm
Hey guys,

We're in the process of adding a program to re-encode your mp3s at the time of upload to ensure that all mp3s play properly. Thanks for your patience with this and feel free to contact support at anytime. You can always send us your files and we will manually convert them and add them to your account.

Cheers

#20253 by cliff keller
Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:45 pm
Hi, i think i figured out the fix. my mp3 encoder was set at 48khz, i tried it again at 44.1khz and it seems to be ok.

suggestion: somewhere in the FAQ section have something about music uploads including the correct settings.

thanks
cliff