This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Post your ideas and questions to the BandMix Staff.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#16740 by Irminsul
Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:21 pm
Nonsense.

If you want to deal with the real world, as you yell it, go do what I did and volunteer work with real people showing up in real time to learn English. This wasn't an enrollment of well to do White privileged Americans taking an adult ed course for fun. These were real folks working real jobs and wanting a real understanding of English so they could go and apply for real citizenship. Yep. Didn't see that one coming, did ya. That's the fact, Bob - the vast majority of my students were learning English so they could go through the process to become American citizens.

This crapola today that is gaining popularity with the eternally frightened segment of society (frightened of terrorists, frightened of Muslims, frightened of immigrants, frightened of everything) likes to scream that them Messicans is a-takin' away our jobs. And of course that's bullshit. No Mexican has ever taken your job or anyone elses. You know who has? The American CEO who moved the company's production to Mexico so he can pay his labor force PENNIES AN HOUR, that's who. So be sure you know where your ire is properly targeted before you let it fly.

Oh and Lou Dobbs can suck my White ass. He is an ignorant piece of bigotted filth who is guaranteed a spot on the national media because...well....he's an ignorant piece of bigotted filth. Like his pal Tom Tancredo.

If you want to save English, first learn to speak and write it well yourself. Then - GO TEACH IT.

Oh and uh, I just saw this article - maybe THIS has a lot to do with the problem in your neck of the woods there, Bob:

Immigration is long, confusing process for most
http://www.olathedailynews.com/Hispanic ... nic6.shtml

#16744 by Guitaranatomy
Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:29 pm
Oh and Lou Dobbs can suck my White ass. He is an ignorant piece of bigotted filth who is guaranteed a spot on the national media because...well....he's an ignorant piece of bigotted filth. Like his pal Tom Tancredo.

Lmao. Yeah, well, Lou Dobbs can get very annoying. Personally, I think our whole government is messed up. *Shrug*

Thus, all I have left to say is: "Welcome to the jungle." That jungle is called America, where the insanity seems stronger than any society in the world.

I love my country, but our government is so bloody corrupt it is destroying all of us.

#16747 by Irminsul
Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:36 pm
Guitaranatomy wrote:<snip>
I love my country, but our government is so bloody corrupt it is destroying all of us.

BINGO. The quicker we can sweep these corrupt vermin out of office, the better....as long as we don't replace them with the same.

#16748 by Guitaranatomy
Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:39 pm
BINGO. The quicker we can sweep these corrupt vermin out of office, the better....as long as we don't replace them with the same.

Yeah, well I do not know if that is going to happen. I do not trust one of these candidates that are on the board. God knows if we get another government like this we are f**ked. I really do not want to be drafted into a war that is useless. I have always said: I do not necessarily mind fighting for my country in a real war that puts us in harms way, but I am not fighting a war that serves no purpose.

Call me the "hybrid hippy" if you like, but that is my view. Lol.

#16755 by Irminsul
Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:21 pm
You actually echo the opinion of the majority on this one. No sane person wants to saddle up and die for a president's ego gratification, or the oil companies.
#16756 by fisherman bob
Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:25 pm
and thank YOU for helping them learn it. That is certainly encouraging. I also agree that the immigration problem is partly OUR fault by hiring them under the table AND creating jobs in foreign lands that pay practically nothing. I believe our government IS corrupt by not ENFORCING THE LAWS we already have on the books. My wife and son are Mexican. I have nothing against any Mexican or any other nationality IF THEY COME INTO OUR COUNTRY LEGALLY. I want to know who they are, if they are CRIMINALS, if they are terrorists, and if they really want to become law-abiding citizens of this country. I have run into MANY who are here ILLEGALLY and doing harm to this country. I have seen it up close and personal with my own eyes. This isn't in some insulated classroom where you're only going to meet the best and brightest among the immigrants. This is in the REAL WORLD. You need to open your eyes to the FACT THAT WE ARE CREATING ANARCHY. We need to tighten up our borders, just like other countries who have a much better handle on who comes into their country (ironically like Mexico does). As far as I'm concerned the immigration problem is a national disgrace. ALL parties are to be blamed equally for this disaster. Later...

#16771 by Irminsul
Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:19 am
Yeah yeah, but you keep lambasting me for living outisde the "real world" on this one, and that's clearly not correct. You don't teach people who are practically "fresh across the river" and say you aren't living in the real world. This is where the rubber meets the road, my friend.

Another little statistic I would recommend you explore is that both legal and illegal immigrants have a much LOWER rate of committed crimes than the native population does. So much for the argument that they are bringing crime into this crime free nation. If you want to see who is committing the lion's share of the crime, look to us native borns.

And lastly, keep in mind that this "issue" really isn't a pressing issue at all. No more than its been for over a century of fluid immigration to America. This corrupt, paranoid, fascist bent government of ours is MAKING it an issue, to scare people into complying with its foul agenda. As do all such governments, even on the extreme end with the German Nazi Party. When they need obedience, when things get rough, when jobs weren't as plentiful as they used to be....

BLAME THE IMMIGRANT.

It's the tried and true trick, isn't it. And it stinks.

#16774 by Guitaranatomy
Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:53 am
Face it, as much as we need a government, we sometimes do not need one. It is scary everyday thinking another war is about to begin and you could drop dead for no reason at all. I am not getting my brains blown the f**k out of my head for this rotten administration and stupid congress.

As far as the immigrant thing goes, that is old hat. In my opinion: I do not think people should illegally come here. If they are applying for legal citizenship that is one thing, but I do not like the whole sneaking around thing. The one part that fascinates me though is the job thing. When you think about it, the jobs they do we would never want to do. So even though they say those jobs are taken from us, they really are not. I am very neutral on this subject, I am not on either side of the court so to speak.

I do not know what it is going to take to solve the immigrant thing, but I sure hope someone finds a solution. I always said just make who is here citizens and then deport whoever else tries it without good reason. When I say good reason, I am talking about how some people flee these countries due to persecution -- those people I feel horrible for. I may not be fond of our government, but at least here they do not torture the women if there is no veil over their face, and at least here they do not force us at young ages to fight in the military.

I am proud to be an American, but I am not proud of how this country has turned out. It saddens me to think this country has become what it has. I swear it is like living in a dictatorship sometimes. You have people saying "No stem cells, no abortions, no immigrants, no, no, no!" Come on already, this country is not as free as it appears. Yes, I will repeat myself, it is better than most. However, they make us pay for it, that is for sure. Here is a good list of the bullsh*t:

1. Low taxes for the rich, high for the poor.
2. No abortions.
3. No stem cells (This is highly bloody important)
4. High crime rates.
5. Iniquity (In this country I notice people like OJ get away with cold blooded murder, even with tons of evidence, just because they are famous)
6. Corrupt government, including lobbying, stealing, fraud, pedophiles, blackmail, and so on and so forth.
7. Politicians who will not answer questions and do not waver on their stance.
8. Congress gives itself a raise and a day off.
9. Wars are begun on false grounds.
10. Ignoring potential threats due to false pride.

I could name more, but my post is already too long. You guys get my point.

Peace out, GuitarAnatomy.
#16777 by fisherman bob
Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:07 am
I blame the ILLEGAL immigrant AND our current worthless government which is not enforcing our existing laws. For well over a hundred years immigrants flocked into this country LEGALLY. They were processed in an orderly fashion. They learned our language and laws, became citizens and contributed to our society in a meaningful way. What's happening today is chaos. I agree that many are hard working and are not criminals. In fact the crime rates in neighborhoods where many ILLEGAL immigrants have settled has gone down. They are bringing generally good things to America. But what about the many hospitals that have gone out of business because the ILLEGAL immigrants can't pay anything for healthcare? What about the ecological disaster in the southwest deserts where tons of garbage are piling up unabated? What about the hundreds of bodies piling up of ILLEGAL immigrants who aren't prepared for the heat and cold extremes of the desert? What about the wonderful coyotes who are stealing the life savings of the ILLEGAL immigrants, not to mention the numerous rapes of ILLEGAL immigrant women? What about me and other peaceful LEGAL citizens attacked by ILLEGAL immigrants with baseball bats in the middle of Kansas? We can argue until we're blue in the face. I guess time will tell if there's a solution. I'm listening to the politicians talk occasionally about this problem and I don't hear any solutions. Maybe a good solution would be to add Mexico as our 51st state (I'm serious). Maybe that would solve the problem. Make open border anarchy official government policy. Later...

#16781 by Irminsul
Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:25 am
Bob, that is just incorrect. We have had illegal immigrants coming here as long as we have been a COUNTRY. Don't you think some of those who came by boat were stow aways? Who managed to get ashore without going through Ellis Island? How about the hundreds of thousands of Italian immigrants who werent even "processed" as you say, but merely given a placard by the government to hold as they disembarked with the letters W.O.P. ("Without Papers" - and yes thats the origin of the slur) emblazoned on it, and shooed ashore to melt into the nation?

Or how about that porous Canadian border, where illegals spilled over back and forth for two hundred years, but of course no one makes a big deal about it because they tend to be so LIGHT colored in their skin hue?

The only reason its such a pressing issue is because our fascist bent, militarist, paranoid, xenophobic government is making it one! PERIOD. You watch. In a few years or less you will hardly hear a peep about it, and it will still be going on as strong as ever, and the nation will not be coming apart at the seams.

Don't drink the koolaid, Bob. It's very likely poisoned.

#16792 by rcandrews
Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:40 pm
What are you guys the Grammar Police? :roll: Everyone under the sun bastardizes the "English" language. Besides what is deemed "proper" English, American's speak isn't even English. I do believe it is commonly known as American English which isn't what the Brit's speak, which is proper English :wink:

When you get a chance read H.L. Mencken's take on "The American Language". In a nut shell he writes "I am eager to attempt a more scientific examination of the grammar of the American vulgar speech..."

So y'all need to get over ya'self :lol:

Anyway I am not quite sure what any of this has to do with the original post but I think the guy was wondering what good it is to place ads here in the forum when those who might be interested can't contact him. He is correct most venues prefer at least a duo or a solo act that is so strong, diverse and colorful you have to have abilities the likes of Harvey Reid, Leo Kottke or Bob Dylan.

The best thing to do when you can't find someone is to try and learn the songs that silenced rooms. Example would be Neil Young's "Damage Done" when that song is "properly done it's a show stopper and one doesn't need anything other than a guitar and voice :mrgreen:

But back to this original post, it was an easy answer. Upgrade your membership. I am pretty sure as an upgraded member even non-upgraded members can contact you. :?

Also talking politics in a thread about a valid site question is how things run amuck. :?

Rob

#16809 by Guitaranatomy
Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:51 pm
rcandrews wrote:What are you guys the Grammar Police? :roll: Everyone under the sun bastardizes the "English" language. Besides what is deemed "proper" English, American's speak isn't even English. I do believe it is commonly known as American English which isn't what the Brit's speak, which is proper English :wink:

When you get a chance read H.L. Mencken's take on "The American Language". In a nut shell he writes "I am eager to attempt a more scientific examination of the grammar of the American vulgar speech..."

*Shrug* I think the reason me and Irminsul keep talking about it is because it is very annoying to read posts by people who are speaking with improper grammatical control. If I am reading a sentence and that sentence never seems to end, I begin to realize it is not a sentence, it is a paragraph without commas or periods. How in the world is someone supposed to interpret that on top of the slang expressions that are used today? Lol. I cannot do it sometimes, it drives me crazy. Those are my reasons. Irminsul may have stronger feelings than I portrayed on this subject, so I will leave that up to him to state.

Peace out, GuitarAnatomy.
Last edited by Guitaranatomy on Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#16810 by RhythmMan
Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:51 pm
Rob, I agree with you; musicians are here for a music forum.
By the way, "Needle and the Damage Done" is a pretty good song to play. Although I don't play originals in public (I don't sing), I learned this song a couple years ago, just for the heck of it . . .
Still a show-stopper, after all these years, eh?

#16812 by Guitaranatomy
Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:01 pm
RhythmMan_BluesRockFolk wrote:Rob, I agree with you; musicians are here for a music forum.
By the way, "Needle and the Damage Done" is a pretty good song to play. Although I don't play originals in public (I don't sing), I learned this song a couple years ago, just for the heck of it . . .
Still a show-stopper, after all these years, eh?

Yeah, I agree, however, I think once in a long while it is fun to talk about something else. *Shrug* Primarily though, I am here for the music end of it all.

By the way, RhythmMan, is that really your hand in your icon/avatar thing? And if so, ouch...

#16826 by Irminsul
Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:34 pm
rcandrews wrote:What are you guys the Grammar Police? :roll: Everyone under the sun bastardizes the "English" language. Besides what is deemed "proper" English, American's speak isn't even English. I do believe it is commonly known as American English which isn't what the Brit's speak, which is proper English :wink:

"Ya'selves".