This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Post your ideas and questions to the BandMix Staff.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#17212 by fisherman bob
Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:00 am
You're exactly right on the pot issue. The hemp plant can be used for a large assortment of needs: clothing, medicine, heat, etc. Making it illegal had nothing to do with pot's "harmful" effects. As a matter of fact I believe all drugs should be made legal. The government could collect billions of dollars in revenue, they could set up a massive advertising campaign showing the negative effects of drugs to our children, and whatever monies are left over could be used to help us in many other ways. Legislating morality has been a miserable failure. Look at what happened during prohibition. Crime increased dramatically and MORE people were abusing alcohol during prohibition than before or after prohibition. I believe the proper way of having a war on drugs would be to do this: everybody who is convicted of a real crime (rape, murder, robbery, assault, etc.) should be tested for drugs. If they are on ANY drug including alcohol then whatever penalty they would have received for the crime should be DOUBLED with no chance for parole. This way all those people who are responsibly using pot or other drugs would not be sent to prison. All those people selling drugs would not go to prison. ONLY CRIMINALS who COMMIT CRIMES should be in prison. It's utterly ridiculous the number of prisoners who absolutely should not be there. We could go on and on about this and other political subjects and issues. Even though I'm conservative on some issues I'm also liberal on others. I believe solutions should be based on PRACTICALITY, not on ethics or religion. Maybe we could start a new political party, call it the Practical Party. Anyway we need to get back to musical issues. I can get carried away sometimes and get sidetracked easily (can you tell?). Later...

#17217 by Irminsul
Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:16 am
I'm more inclined to judge things from an ethical/moral perspective. While you sure have to allow for the pragmatic as well, I don't think history speaks well for the sheer pragmatic solution to all things. I know this is extreme, but to the Germans it was very "pragmatic" to ship off all of their "unwanted elements" in cattle cars to death camps.

I really don't want to go down that road.

#17222 by Guitaranatomy
Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:30 am
Irminsul wrote:I'm more inclined to judge things from an ethical/moral perspective. While you sure have to allow for the pragmatic as well, I don't think history speaks well for the sheer pragmatic solution to all things. I know this is extreme, but to the Germans it was very "pragmatic" to ship off all of their "unwanted elements" in cattle cars to death camps.

I really don't want to go down that road.

Yeah, the German's thought everything was pragmatic. Somehow they managed to justify such an intense hatred, as we do similar things today. In the South you hear about the KKK, in the entire country you hear about skinheads, and in the world we know there is severe hate period. People find ways to justify the most sadistic of things in this life, sadly not many people stand up to them to tell them it is wrong.

I think government should be based on ethics, morals, pragmatism, and research. When I say research I mean that we need to learn to look deeper into things than we do. People tend to skim subjects and not do any further analysis, this is what tends to cause disaster. "Oops, I did not read Chapter 82, where it talked about the fact that terrorists are not afraid to kill themselves! Sorry your boys are dead, oh well, hey where's my lobbying money?" Lmao, stupid pieces of crap. Welcome to Hell people!

Peace out, GuitarAnatomy.

#17240 by RhythmMan
Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:47 pm
GA, your mention of terrorists brings something to mind.
The other night I was feeling depressed,
So, I dialed Lifeline, and I got a guy in Afghanistan.
I told him I was suicidal. He got all excited, and asked me if I could drive a truck.

#17247 by Guitaranatomy
Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:19 pm
RhythmMan_BluesRockFolk wrote:GA, your mention of terrorists brings something to mind.
The other night I was feeling depressed,
So, I dialed Lifeline, and I got a guy in Afghanistan.
I told him I was suicidal. He got all excited, and asked me if I could drive a truck.

You are kidding me?

#17271 by Irminsul
Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:56 pm
These days, I'm wondering if enlisting in the US military is more to the liking of the suicidal.

#17275 by Guitaranatomy
Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:56 pm
Irminsul wrote:These days, I'm wondering if enlisting in the US military is more to the liking of the suicidal.

Who knows. I think you have to be suicidal to want to go serve in this army during this war and whatever wars are coming are around the corner.

#17277 by RhythmMan
Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:05 pm
Umm, well, yeah it was a joke.
They are looking for suicide bombers . . .
:)
That's why he got all excited . . .
Ahh, well . . . if ya have ta splain it, it's not very good ta begin wit . . .

#17279 by Guitaranatomy
Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:38 pm
RhythmMan_BluesRockFolk wrote:Umm, well, yeah it was a joke.
They are looking for suicide bombers . . .
:)
That's why he got all excited . . .
Ahh, well . . . if ya have ta splain it, it's not very good ta begin wit . . .

Lmao. Well, I am dense, me and jokes sometimes do not click.

#17281 by Irminsul
Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:15 pm
Guitaranatomy wrote:
Irminsul wrote:These days, I'm wondering if enlisting in the US military is more to the liking of the suicidal.

Who knows. I think you have to be suicidal to want to go serve in this army during this war and whatever wars are coming are around the corner.

I agree, and it sucks, doesn't it. There was a time our military was actually for DEFENSE, and it wasn't such a risk especially since we haven't been attacked by another country since 1941.

#17283 by Guitaranatomy
Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:50 pm
I agree, and it sucks, doesn't it. There was a time our military was actually for DEFENSE, and it wasn't such a risk especially since we haven't been attacked by another country since 1941.

You are right. Once it was all about defense, now it seems like it is just for assaults. This country thinks it can mandate what the rest of the world should do, it is not acting like a democracy. The whole "We do not talk to terrorist and I am not talking to the leaders of these countries" thing is killing us. I am hearing some of these candidates say that they will not talk to the leaders of these countries for at least a year into office. That is just stupid, suck up your pride, and bloody talk damnit. Otherwise there will be more problems. At least that is how I feel.

#17288 by Irminsul
Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:20 am
I like how you think. I sure hope those who do think like you will come out in droves and vote in 2008.

#17292 by Guitaranatomy
Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:51 am
So do I, lol. This world has become a scary place, and I thought the Crucades and dark ages were a scary time, just look at now: Nuclear bombs, biochemical warfare (This is very serious by the way, I have studied this fairly well), guns, and so on and so forth.

#17514 by Prevost82
Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:09 pm
saw a blurb on CTV (Canadian TV) that some of the Mexicans are moving from the US, because of the crack down, to Canada.

Part of the problem on both sides of the border (Can & US) is allot of our kids won't work in the jobs that the mexican's work in ... it's beneath them. So the mexicans do these jobs. We have a guest worker program for mexicans to work up here in the summer months .... the agriculture was about to die in Canada before this was brought in ... kids wouldn't work in the fields.

I had to pick fruit, mow lawns, catch chickens and work in hay fields when I was a kid ... there was no hand-outs from mom and dad, if you want money for whatever, you had to go out and earn it. Now the kids get handed cell phones, credit cards, new Beemers ...ect. and don't leave home until they're 30 something ... so I don't see how this will change.

We ripe what we sew

#17521 by Irminsul
Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:59 am
Prevost82 wrote:<snip>

Part of the problem on both sides of the border (Can & US) is allot of our kids won't work in the jobs that the mexican's work in ... it's beneath them. So the mexicans do these jobs. We have a guest worker program for mexicans to work up here in the summer months .... the agriculture was about to die in Canada before this was brought in ... kids wouldn't work in the fields.<snip>

Precisely. That's why I get angry when I hear born Americans complain about "Mexicans taking our jobs". I have to laugh. NONE of those I have heard make that complaint would even consider swabbing out a toilet at a hotel, making the beds, or cooking the guests meals.

If these guys are so out of joint for losing jobs to Mexico, they should go picket the homes of all the CEOs who move their company factories and warehouses to Mexico in order to cash in on near slave labor.