This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Rate your favorite bands and albums.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#66218 by dustinprinz
Tue May 05, 2009 12:46 am
Hi, my name is Dustin Prinz. I'm a singer/songwriter from Oklahoma City. I just finished my first album on April 2nd 2009. I put a lot of myself into this project. I wrote, recorded, arranged and produced all material. Any input, good or bad, would be greatly appreciated. As long as it's constructive. My first release off the album is "Let Her Go." If your willing to give my tunes a listen, you can check out the link to my myspace page below. I also have a link to an instrumental that I've been working on. Also if your in the OKC area and are looking for an opener, please contact me!!

http://www.myspace.com/dustinprinz
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfSQ1skJrmQ
http://www.seejoerock.com/video/104/Follow-Me

Thanks for the time

Dustin Prinz

#66320 by ColorsFade
Tue May 05, 2009 9:54 pm
I give you props man.

I know how difficult it is to put together an album; how much of yourself you have to invest. My brother-in-law is a composer/songwriter. He just released his second album a couple days ago (progressive rock; very complex arrangements).

I made sure to give several songs multiple listens.

The music isn't really my thing, so take the comments with a grain of salt.

It sounds to me like it fits into the same genre as John Mayer's first album.

To me, your strength is the way you layer instruments and melodies and make them play together. Unfortunately, you don't take full advantage of that and instead you focus on the lyrics and singing, which is the least impressive part of the music.

Example: some of my favorite music is the first 22 seconds of "Away". It's a very nice chord progression to open the song. At the 12 second mark you layer a clean electric arpeggio over the top of the chord progression played by the acoustic guitar - the whole thing produces a brilliant and warm musical sound. The next 10 seconds is bliss!

But then you cut away from that too soon! The music has no time to breath before you jump into the very pedestrian sounding verse backing music so you can sing. Nothing interesting happens for another 90 seconds. Finally, at the 2:08 mark the bass comes in and gives us some musical depth. At 4:45 you've got a nice little clean descending scale run with the guitar, but it doesn't really go anywhere. It's like a tease.

Same goes for "Follow Me" (my other favorite track). In the first 15 seconds I'm hooked. A very simple but effective piano chord progression backed with symphonic keys (choir Ahs) and arpeggio notes. When the chorus hits you add a nice arpeggio melody with an acoustic guitar. The blending of these various instruments is the strength of the song, and we, as the listener, are begging to hear these instruments weave variations on the themes introduced in the beginning.

But this is essentially a 3-chord song for the three-and-a-half minute running time. Nothing happens. The song doesn't go anywhere. You've once again teased your listener with the promise of a very interesting melody, but you don't develop it at all; it just gets repeated. I'm left sitting there when it's over thinking, "Is that it? That sounded so promising! What happened?"

Your musicianship - your ability to compose melodies and layer instruments to create a thick and rich musical effect - are your strengths. But you don't play to them. You get caught up in the whole lyrics/singing bit. It's like the listener can feel the pressure of trying to become famous.

The music of the songs feel like they were originally really great ideas, but they got condensed in the pressure cooker of modern pop sensibilities that have been created by the likes of American Idol where everything is compressed and musical passages are sacrificed just to expose the vocals; the musicality gets lost in the process.

Anyway, I hope that made sense. Here's an example of what I mean by letting the music breath and actually "doing something" with a melodic idea:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1fZzf_x ... re=related

There's a lot more at work here than three chords. But noticed how the song noticeably shifts at the 3:00 mark, and the solo at 4:15 with all the power and emotion, and then how at 4:45 the solo changes as well. There's this building process throughout the song; instruments layered, themes expanded, emotion is built until the crescendo at 5:20 that carries the through the rest of the song.

You've written some songs that could do this sort of thing - be powerful and interesting.

At any rate - kudos on the album dude. You should be proud of your work man.

#66452 by philbymon
Wed May 06, 2009 1:53 pm
Listening to "Let Her Go" - very nice beginning! It could use a slightly longer intro, imo. Very good recording quality, excellent vox. I love the vocal layering, & you also manage to keep the lyrics accessable. Guitar might be a touch loud in places (2:20-2:30). Love the end section, too.

"Follow Me" - interesting intro, vocals seem pitchy here, though. You might try to hold to a single note at a time rather than the wandering stuff that's so popular with the American Idol crowd. By 1:30, I'm ready for something new. The guitar lead is nice, but not quite enough to carry the piece. The constant drone of the tune needs to be changed by 2:00 at the very least. Way too dirgy for me. This should have been kept to 2 minutes or less to be truly effective, except as CD filler.

"Away" - okay, the style I'm hearing needs some tweaking in order for you to keep from getting too boring. Your arrangements are quite good, but your tendency to play constantly emo-ish slow rhythms & pretty voices makes much that you do seem the same & rather unsurprizing. I can pretty much predict what note or chord you're going to go to next. This may be very popular with some ppl, but not me.

While I really appreciate your voice, your general arrangements & instrument choices, I'd like to hear you step away from the emo, to do something a little more exciting, less predictable, something that can show your versatility. Try your hand at a blues piece, or country, or something with some speed, that shows a celebration of life, or a frustration, or some deep emotion other than a wimpy form of love. What I'm hearing, while it is quite pleasant to listen to, doesn't have that certain "punch" that would make you stand out. You may have some of these on your CD, but the ones you've chosen to display on your profile are all in pretty much the same overly "pretty" style, & yeah, it gets old. Do something a little "dirty" or angry or really happy to balance out the dirgish quality of these pieces, & you'll be more appealing to most listeners.

Seriously, if you took your abilities as a producer, singer & musician, & applied them to a happy pop song, you could kill, man! Stretch a bit, cuz you have some excellent abilities, but you need to apply them to more than you have, here. You have shown yourself to be very good at what you do, but you are appearing as a "one trick pony," & you need to do more.

I'd like to hear more, if it's different.
#67376 by SADIE88
Thu May 14, 2009 10:40 pm
AS A LONG TIME WRITER /PRODUCER/PLAY EVERY INST.MUSICIAN,I
WORKED WITH MANY A TALENTED ARTIST.YOU HAVE TALENT AND
SOMETHING THEY CALL MOJO.I CALL IT SOMETHING ELSE BUT COULD
PUT A WORD TO IT.DON'T WORRY WHAT OTHER PEOPLE THINK BECAUSE
EVERY ONE WILL NOT LIKE YOU AND REMEMBER IT'S ALL ABOUT THE
JOURNEY! REALLY.AND IN THE WORDS OF RALPH KRAMDEN,"TALENT NEEDS
NO LUCK."

#67587 by philbymon
Sun May 17, 2009 12:23 pm
I came back to this & read what CF said, here, & I find it curious that we both mentioned American Idol in our posts, but in different ways. He noted that you use your arrangements in an AI way to focus solely on the vox, while I noticed that you try to emulate the vocalists with the wavering scales in your singing on that one song.

I agree with his assessments whole-heartedly, as I usually do. We both are fans of art rock/progressive music, while you are obviously more "modern" (i.e. "stripped down music with emphasis on vocals" & no big changes in any given piece) in your approach.

However, that doesn't mean that we aren't right about several points that we've made.

Your voice, while it is most pleasant to listen to, isn't necessarilly all that unique or powerful enough to carry every piece all on its own. (I don't know of any voices that ARE that great, so don't take this as an insult.) Your ability to use the perfect sounds within your arsenal to make a song section great is truly wonderful. By surprizing your listeners occasionally with a move in a new direction, you will shock their collective attention into focusing on you completely, & I believe that by doing this, you could be a real world-class talent.

Experiment in different styles like reggae, blues, punk, latin, etc, & apply what you learn from them into some of your own work. Or you could try to take someone else's music & do it your own way, if it's a challenging & interesting enough tune. Try playing something at more than 80 beats per minute, for a change, & see what you can do.

It's rare to find talent like yours, & I felt it necessary to come back & talk to you some more about this. Expand your influences, & you will be great, dustin.

#83610 by slash jr.
Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:54 pm
your flat out awsome!

#83618 by neanderpaul
Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:05 am
He just posted the one time jr. I thought he was awesome too.

#83623 by philbymon
Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:24 am
Really? :shock: Gee...I hope I wasn't too harsh...I liked his stuff a bit, just thought he could do more...

#86400 by candle eye
Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:14 pm
crackers and cheese you sound just like steve howe!!! was he an in-
fluence?

#86407 by fisherman bob
Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:08 pm
Listened to five tunes on your Myspace page. The first four tunes I take it are your own tunes, Gorillaz Feel Good a cover. In general I feel you have TOO MUCH layering of vocals on your originals. They water down the impact of the vocals and make it hard at times to discern the words. In my opinion less is more. On the vocal verses where you really want the listener to get the full impact of the meaning of the song you should have ONE VOICE and it should be UP FRONT in the mix. Take away some of the layers and elevate the main vocal line and you'd have something with more impact IMO. The Gorillaz cover is a good example. It's just one voice and one guitar (very well done in both cases) and it hits home much better. You obviously have wonderful talent in all areas, give us a little less on each tune and we'll get it MORE. Just my opinion that's all...