This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Rate your favorite bands and albums.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#51082 by Them Be Us
Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am
LED ZEPPEIN - The foundation to EVERYTHING!!! Even if you don't like them, what you do like was probably influenced by them in some manner.

#51094 by philbymon
Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:05 pm
Aw crap...don't get me stawted!!!!

#51104 by fisherman bob
Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:41 pm
On the first day God created Led Zeppelin and everything else was influenced by Them... Amen

#51143 by Shapeshifter
Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:00 pm
...Influenced by THEM? Wasn't that the horror movie with the giant ants?

Seriously, I'll play...I'm heavily influenced by John Mellencamp (among others), so let's play six steps to Zepplin...what's the tie-in?
#51144 by HowlinJ
Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:02 pm
Them Be Us wrote:LED ZEPPEIN - The foundation to EVERYTHING!!! Even if you don't like them, what you do like was probably influenced by them in some manner.

Foundation to everything? :shock: .....That would better describe Scrapper Blackwell!

As far as reconstituted British blues with groundbreaking guitar work,Yardbirds did it way before Zep! (Come to think of it, it could be said that Zep WAS reconstituted Yardbirds! :wink: )

#51154 by HowlinJ
Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:54 pm
Sentient Paradox wrote:Louis Armstrong. Whether you know it or not, every musician born after 1900 has been influenced by him, (snip)

Right you are again, S.P. :wink:
I still regard Scrapper Blackwell as the Godfather of lead guitar playin',and the Yardbirds as the genesis of heavy live guitar based jam rockin'. :P
HJ

#51166 by Black57
Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:24 am
Satchmo was the leader fo sho but LZ influenced so many of us. It is my dream to at least play Sairway To Heaven for Flute Choir...who knows, I may just write it myself.

#51212 by fisherman bob
Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:12 am
I was being facetious what I said about Led Zeppelin. IMO what we know and love about rock and roll comes from one man, and one man only, McKinley Morganfield AKA Muddy Waters. Some of the greatest British rockers went on a holy mission to Chicago to observe and learn from the master Muddy Waters. Muddy's stage persona, his music, his LIFESTYLE, made the biggest impression of ANYBODY on the first rock and rollers. Without Muddy I dare say there's no Rolling Stones, no Eric Clapton, no LED ZEPPELIN, no Elvis Presley. Music would be all together different than it is today. Muddy was simply a GIANT revolutionary figure in our musical history. I had the pleasure of attending five Muddy Waters shows and it was like a religious experience for me. It was like seeing the past, present, and future of popular music all wrapped up in one titanic talented transcendant individual. Later...

#51213 by HowlinJ
Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:30 am
fisherman bob wrote:I was being facetious what I said about Led Zeppelin. IMO what we know and love about rock and roll comes from one man, and one man only, McKinley Morganfield AKA Muddy Waters. Some of the greatest British rockers went on a holy mission to Chicago to observe and learn from the master Muddy Waters. Muddy's stage persona, his music, his LIFESTYLE, made the biggest impression of ANYBODY on the first rock and rollers. Without Muddy I dare say there's no Rolling Stones, no Eric Clapton, no LED ZEPPELIN, no Elvis Presley. Music would be all together different than it is today. Muddy was simply a GIANT revolutionary figure in our musical history. I had the pleasure of attending five Muddy Waters shows and it was like a religious experience for me. It was like seeing the past, present, and future of popular music all wrapped up in one titanic talented transcendant individual. Later...

Bob
I too am a great admirer of the legendary Mr Waters. (Bought his album "After The Rain" back in 69)
However, if Ol'Morgan was never born, there would still have been Howlin Wolf, Skip James, Jack Dupree, and of course, Scrapper Blackwell, just to name a few.
Seems to me that that would still be enough spark to fire up Ol' Slowhand, Page, Brien Jones, and company.

just a thought :)
later
Howlin'

#51214 by fisherman bob
Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:49 am
It wasn't so much Muddy's music that inspired others but the total package. Muddy had groupies twenty years before anybody even knew what groupies were. During Mick Jagger's first live shows he stood there like a statue UNTIL he visited Muddy and discovered HOW TO DO IT. The other musicians you mention were huge influences, but IMO Muddy was the most important, especially to the early British rockers. We all know what the British invasion did to popular music in the 60's. I dare so no Muddy, no British invasion. I agree also no Howlin Wolf, Skip James, Jack Dupree, Scrapper Blackwell, etc. also no British invasion. For that matter, no Freddie King, no Jimmy Vaughan and no Stevie Ray Vaughan.

#51222 by Andragon
Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:20 am
HowlinJ wrote:...and the Yardbirds as the genesis of heavy live guitar based jam rockin'. :P
HJ

I quite like Shapes of Things. I thought it was a bit ahead of its time.

#51263 by Starfish Scott
Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:16 pm
A few LZ tunes shaped all of it.

They stole it from others before hand, but individual style and sound is what made it what it is.