This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Rate your favorite bands and albums.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#46302 by racefanrob
Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:28 pm
. . . anyone ever listen to Instrumentals ? Back in the `60s . . . there were bands known for their Instrumentals . . . The Ventures . . . The Shadows, and lots of other bands had Instrumentals. The Amboy Dukes were big on Instrumentals, . . . like "Scottish Tea" from 1968. I believe every Nugent Album had an Instrumental on it ? Black Sabbath usually had one . . . or more Instrumentals on their LPs too, . . . if only an Introduction. I always felt that an Instrumental was about Musicianship ? This is how good we are. "Black Mountain Side" (on Led Zepplin's 1st album) is one of my all-time favorite Instrumentals. But, an Instumental has to be enjoyable . . . like Classical Music. Most feel that a song must tell a story . . . music is an institute in itself . . . without words. There are some venues where this theory does not work . . . take Rap for example . . . it's all about the words . . . and not so much the music, because the music is usually electronically generated . . . without musicians. In my opinion . . . Instumentals are the offsping of Jam Sessions. Many a Great Jam have been laid down on record, for our enjoyment. About fifteen years ago . . . a friend stopped by my house and left me a CD . . . he said he messed up and bought the wrong CD . . . and he didn't like it. I listened to it a couple of times . . . and couldn't leave it alone. It was "Firehouse", an Instumental/Acoustic version of their first CD. I think it is a great recording. Even though the regular CD is Hard Rock . . . this acoustic version is great. That is why I miss MTV's "Unplugged" . . . heck . . . I miss MTV ? There is no Music Television anymore . . . unless you watch VH1 Classics.

Do you listen to Instrumentals ? What is your favorite Instrumental ? Who does your favorite Instrumentals ? Santana ? Bachman Turner Overdrive ? Ted Nugent ? Eric Clapton ? There are so many great musicians . . . who have done some great work on Instrumentals.

#46308 by philbymon
Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:09 pm
I like 'em, myself, if they're good.

Frankenstein, Hocus Pocus, some of the Fresh Aire stuff, Dead Can Dance, Jean-Michael Jarre, Jean-Luc Ponty, Chick Corea & Return To Forever, I even return to Steppenwolf's Earschplittenloutenboomer, sometimes.

I was in this hippie jam band, & one night we got into the 'shrooms & prepared to play in the studio at this party. I told the guy at the board "Don't record this. I know I'm gonna suck." Well, we started off with the 3 of us playing in 3 different keys, while the drummer just noodled. Then it kinda schmoozed into a coherent thingie. The guy hit record & it went on for about 18 minutes from there...changing yet holding some of the same patterns. It was incredible that we were able to do anything at all, really. We ended up putting some of it on our CD, (Ichopped it up into 4 sections, & faded them in & out on the CD) & the local college station used it to open one of their talk shows. I also heard it on NPR for something. We ended up calling it "The Mushroom Chronicles." (I haven't had 'shrooms since them, about 6-7 years ago.)

#46309 by jimmydanger
Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:28 pm
My favorite artists who feature instrumentals:

King Crimson
Mahavishnu Orchestra
Al DiMeola
Jeff Beck
Joe Satriani
Frank Zappa
Santana
Jimi Hendrix (Pali Gap, Tax Free, etc)
Yes

I did an album of instrumental covers of classic rock songs called "NoVox" a few years ago, it's one of my better achievements. Songs included:

California Dreamin'
Up Around The Bend
Happy Together
No Matter What
Norwegian Wood
Killing Floor
Burning of the Midnight Lamp
Little Wing

#46323 by HowlinJ
Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:41 pm
My favorite neo surf instrumental band has always been Laika And The Cosmonauts.

Check 'em out! :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqPl_iSMAJI

Howlin'

#46337 by fisherman bob
Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:43 am
Freddy King is the all-time master of instrumentals. Some of his instrumentals are pure blues, some have a surf rock feel, some country. There just hasn't been anybody so inventive with instrumentals in my opinion. If you're an aspiring lead guitarist you can't go wrong learning a bunch of Freddy King instrumentals. I've played just about every Freddy King instrumental in the various blues bands I've been in, and I never get tired of them. Some of his best are Sidetracked, Washout, Hideaway, Remington Ride, Out Front, In The Open, The Stumble. The guy is incredible, he died way too young. There's no doubt in my mind he would have been just as popular as B.B. King if he had lived longer. I know Eric Clapton holds Freddy in the highest regard. He was amazing. Later...

#46342 by Andragon
Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:25 am
Most of what you mentioned.

Jason Becker and Randy Rhoads instrumentals are really enjoyable.

#46405 by HowlinJ
Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:52 pm
fisherman bob wrote:Freddy King is the all-time master of instrumentals. Some of his instrumentals are pure blues, some have a surf rock feel, some country. There just hasn't been anybody so inventive with instrumentals in my opinion. If you're an aspiring lead guitarist you can't go wrong learning a bunch of Freddy King instrumentals. I've played just about every Freddy King instrumental in the various blues bands I've been in, and I never get tired of them. Some of his best are Sidetracked, Washout, Hideaway, Remington Ride, Out Front, In The Open, The Stumble. The guy is incredible, he died way too young. There's no doubt in my mind he would have been just as popular as B.B. King if he had lived longer. I know Eric Clapton holds Freddy in the highest regard. He was amazing. Later...

Peter Green's cover of "the Stumble" featured on John Mayall's 1966 classic Blusebreakers album "A Hard Road" was my first taste of Freddie's work. A year later, Mayall released his "Crusade" album with a very young Mick Tayler masterfully covering a lot of Albert King licks. (I seen that version of The Bluesbreakers at the Fillmore East)
later...
Howlin'

#46436 by pusMonkey
Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:04 pm
Camel - "Music Inspired by the Snow Goose" is an awesome instrumental album. Very Pink Floyd-ish. I highly recommend it.

Other great instrumentals are:
Dream Theater's "Erotomania"
-"Overture 1928"
-"The dance of eternity"

Liquid Tension Experiment

"An evening with John Petrucci & Jordan Rudess" - My favorite is "State of Grace" (which can also be found on the first LTE album)

Yngwie Malmsteen's "Rising Force"

Gregg Bissonette's CD "Submarine" features Steve Vai, Steve Stevens, Robben Ford, Joe Satriani,... and others.

the Savatage/Trans-Siberian Orchestra instrumentals are worth a listen; Underture, Mozart and Madness

#46472 by philbymon
Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:40 pm
pM! Good call on "Snow Goose!" I love Camel!

Anybody ever hear of Danny Gatton? He did a truly super version of the Beach Boys' "In My Room" that's well worth the listen.

#46473 by gbheil
Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:02 pm
REO Speedwagon.
Flying Turkey Trot I always liked that one. as many that have been lised already. Chick Corea was one of the artist I used to work out to due to sycopation.

#46533 by HowlinJ
Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:18 pm
No compilation of a list of rock instrumentalist would be complete without the inclusion of the name "LONNIE MACK" :wink:

One of my favorite instrumentals in the "general" category would have to be Ralph Vaughn-Williams' "London Sympathy" as conducted by Sir Adrian Bolt.

Howlin'

#46535 by fisherman bob
Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:42 pm
Yeah, instrumentals are way cool. I had the surprising pleasure of seeing the Ventures live in the early 80's. I didn't really want to go not being a big fan of surf, but I was talked into it. It was only one of the most amazing shows I ever saw. I still think their bass player was the very best bass player I ever saw live. Speaking of surf, the Bill Blue band used to play a few instrumentals that were mind boggling good. One was a slowed down version of Pipeline with a brass section thrown in. Another was a version of Peter Gunn that had elements of about five different famous classic rock tunes thrown in the middle of it. The way I think of instrumentals if the music is so good why screw it up with lyrics? Later...

#46537 by Black57
Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:56 pm
I prefer instrumentals. The music center, where I teach, wanted the teachers to do a recital. We could play for at least 20 minutes and had to showcase various forms of music, namely rock. I was very excited about this and was working on Manic Depression with my rocker friends. This concert was cancelled :?

#46590 by Starfish Scott
Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:16 am
instrumentals?

Snow man - Rainbow

Orion - Metallica

Ego the living planet - Monster Magnet

#46609 by Andragon
Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:24 am
Orion is a beauty. How did I forget it?!