This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Rate your favorite bands and albums.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#51960 by cygnusinc
Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:55 pm
Yea, its an opinion and I agree the folks you mentioned are certifiable assholes. I think KM is a great player (no doubt) but if I had to record, tour and be on stage with someone... I would take JR over KM.

Peace

#52634 by pusMonkey
Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:47 pm
Has anyone heard Lemur Voice?
They're a European band that only had one release in the 90's (that I know of). They sound just like DT (Kevin-era). A must have for any die-hard fan.

#52766 by AirViking
Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:16 pm
i think the keys for dreamtheater added the missing element to thier old songs. They were complete before, but now they are so much more melodic, and more easaily fit the name. Just my thoughts.

#52891 by ElevateTheSky
Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:36 am
My fave by far is Images and Words. It is an absolute classic.
I love all of their albums but the least fave of mine is Train Of Thought...
too nu metal for my taste, but still a good album.
I prefer Kevin Over Jordan because Kevin wrote great lyrics and
has a much more melodic approach to songs as well as his sounds.
Jordan is amazing and I love him but I really feel he overplays sometimes.
He has totally gotten better on the last 2 albums and has some atmosphere to his playing.
I love the Piano in Forsaken.
The best album with Jordan is by far in my opinion Scenes From A Memory.
My favorite songs have to be Learning To Live, Another Day, Under A Glass Moon, Surrounded,
Metropolis pt.1, Lifting Shadows Off A Dream, Lie, Voices, The Silent Man, Space Dye Vest,
Hells Kitchen, Trial of Tears, Strange Deja Vu, Through Her Eyes, Overture 1928,
The Dance of Eternity,The Spirit Carries On, These Walls, The Root Of All Evil, I Walk Beside You,
ok ok all of them hehe. :lol:

#53205 by Mark R S
Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:33 pm
Metropolis Part 2: Scenes from a Memory has got to be their best work by far. An accessible concept album that works beautifully from start to finish.
I think Falling to Infinity was their low point, Derek Sherinian and a stubborn record label didn't help.
I also think that Jordan Rudess has incredible virtuostic technique and song writing ability within Dream Theater and even more so in Liquid Tension Experiment.

Prog Fan :D
#53372 by LeifDerrickson
Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:44 pm
Subdivisions1 wrote:Can someone verify this with me? When Dream Theater acquired Jordan Rudess, did they take on a more cinematic, and sometimes "broadway show-tunes" feel in their music? Kevin Moore seemed more to be in what Neil Peart called a "rigid mathmatical confinement".

Whats your pick for the worst DT album to date?

As a matter of fact yes, Jordan Rudess did write more of a " broadway" sound. I believe in one interview during the Six degree's era, the band was looking to write something broadwayish and would ask jordan to play something like what you would hear on a disney movie.

#73282 by bundydude
Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:46 am
I would also have to say; Falling To Infinity. That said, they could put out a album of on the spot improvisations and still, in would blow away well over half the stuff that comes out.

#73711 by Andragon
Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:59 am
I really liked the finale of the 12-step series off the new album.

#82029 by drewbass80
Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:20 am
Falling into infinity is certainly the most disappointing of their albums, making that easily my least favorite. It was a bit too mellow and I don't think it has any real stanout songs and I don't think I've ever heard them play a song of of it live when I have seen them.

Scenes From A Memory remains my favorite DT album. They've followed it up with some great albums since but Scenes has held my top spot.

#82036 by neanderpaul
Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:03 am
I've never heard a DT song I like.

#93425 by Enmity_Metal
Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:08 pm
no matter what DT's Music is by far one of the best no matter if it is a let down like some of you sead or not, without DT life will just be sh*t. yes or no im not f**k'n around. :twisted: :twisted: :shock: :evil:

#93438 by ColorsFade
Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:56 pm
pusMonkey wrote:Has anyone heard Lemur Voice?
They're a European band that only had one release in the 90's (that I know of). They sound just like DT (Kevin-era). A must have for any die-hard fan.

Yep, I've got Lemur Voice's album. It was great; too bad they didn't do more.

#93439 by ColorsFade
Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:58 pm
neanderpaul wrote:I've never heard a DT song I like.

I would make the assumption then that you haven't heard much from them then, NP.

Dream Theater is probably the most diverse band alive today. I would bet there's at least one song in their catalog that you would like.

#93447 by jimmydanger
Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:34 pm
Sorry Colors I have to agree with Paul. I went to see them a few years ago just to see what all the noise was about. I lasted half of the concert. It was just drivel, sorry. I did see Petrucci with G3 and he was pretty good but DT was not.

#93498 by neanderpaul
Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:16 am
ColorsFade wrote:
neanderpaul wrote:I've never heard a DT song I like.

I would make the assumption then that you haven't heard much from them then, NP.

Dream Theater is probably the most diverse band alive today. I would bet there's at least one song in their catalog that you would like.

I've heard at least 10 - 20 songs. I hate the production first. The chorus on the bass is nauseating. Voice is irritating. Songs are pretentious and forgettable.

Sorry, not trying to be yuck.