This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Rate your favorite bands and albums.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#26651 by Guitaranatomy
Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:59 pm
Nirvana had a lot of talent. Dave Grohl is the most talented one though, lol.

Foo Fighters are awesome, and their guitar parts can once in a while present a challenge.

Peace out, GuitarAnatomy.

#26658 by philbymon
Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:40 pm
This one cracks me up. I'm sitting in my son's old bedroom which I have converted into an office. Nirvana posters cover the walls with SPIN, Newsweek, & Guitar World mag covers depicting the image of the dreaded Kurt.

I didn't like them. Imho, they would have been nothing without the Meat Puppets' influence & material.

I agree that Dave Grohl is the best of the bunch, & I like the Foo stuff.

Yeah, they did some cool songs, but any one of them could have been done much better by the Meat Puppets or Foo Fighters or, well, the list is too long to explore.

Yeah, Kurt had a distinctive sound. I just thought it was lacking overall. I looked at it like it was punk meets metal meets folk meets bad attitude towards everything but thier own style & fashion (or lack thereof).

But to say they revolutionized anything is just plain wrong. They built upon thier influences just like we all do, and they were successful monetarily. That's the best I can say about them.

Thier inability to tune, thier distorted sound, thier weak lyrics in many instances, even thier irreverent style had been done long before they tried any of it.

#26886 by Pro Metheus
Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:30 pm
Cobain.... Jeez... give me a break, everytime I'd hear the silly repetitive vocals... "I don't have a gun" and so on and on ... I'd shut the radio off and play a cd, Nirvana was the reason I quit listening to radio so long ago and the rest of the copycat Cobain grungie bands that followed after his brains hit the ceiling... I do believe if he'd a missed and lived, Nirvana would have faded into obscurity real fast, that was the direction they were headed.. but I guess every generation/genre has their Idol and they are well entitled to one , although Cobain was a really bad one that screwed up a lot of kids permanently...
no offense to anyone but my take on him was always as a shoddy guitar player and a super junkie that couldn't handle the label arranged rise to fame turning to heavy drug use, and the final hit was the immediate loss of stardom .. The record labels took that to their advantage and spoon fed the bullsh*t that he was a martyr, a guitar God...in order to make millions more.. the kids swallowed evry bit of crap and we have the clingy's and the stupid EMO thing, suicides, suicidal OD's and such... "go out like Cobain" is supposed to be an in thing, what a load ! !

I've never ever heard of anyone who wanted to "go out like Randy or SRV"

This will probably p*ss of a lot of "dudes" but hey I am entitled to my opinion am I not...

#30868 by Kurt's Revenge
Wed May 07, 2008 1:35 am
It was and still is my favorite band.. i can't get too much into newer music.I like a few...

#31198 by Shapeshifter
Sun May 11, 2008 4:20 am
Quite an interesting debate...the fact that, after such a considerable amount of time, Nirvana still evokes such passionate responses is a true testament to their influence.
To be honest-and blunt-I HATED Nirvana! I wasn't a big hair-metal guy, but I was and still am very big on a polished pop sound. They just sounded too much like garage rock to me. It seemed like a step backwards (just my opinion). The following army of clones didn't help, either.
I can't deny what Nirvana accomplished, their legacy or their influence...but it doesn't mean I have to like them!

#31231 by Andragon
Sun May 11, 2008 6:59 pm
I think this thread covers all sorts of opinions about Nirvana. Well here's my 3 cents (yea Canadian dollar, baby)

Sound: Nirvana took 80s Punk, the Meat Puppets and folk sound, and mixed them together, with an attitude.
Lyrics: Smells Like Teen Spirit sucks balls, and it sucks balls on purpose. I think it was meant to sound like crap just to piss people off. Most of their lyrics were quite sincere.. Heart Shaped Box is a lil thought provoking, for example.
Leaders/Gods of Grunge: pfft.. HELL no! They were last Seattle band to join in. However, they marketed their material well enough, that the whole world listened to them. Mudhoney, Screaming Trees, Melvins (the fallen bridge between Punk and Grunge), Soundgarden, Temple of the Dog, Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, and Mad Season were the real grunge, and will forever be.
Nirvana brought it (differently) to the mainstream.

Side note: Rollins is balls-to-the-wall badass!