This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Rate your favorite bands and albums.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#10703 by mistermikev
Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:50 pm
No offence taken on the "nirvana killed metal", I just don't think it's all that accurate. Hair metal especially was on it's way out... only die hards were still listening at that point. I think it is a natural progression for one style to die out (while ppul are still trying to "jump on the band wagon") while another is borne. I don't think I would ever go so far as to compare nirvana to van halen... there just so dif... both had crappy lyrics... but beyond that "here's a guy that is a virtuoso... here's another guy that wrote catchy hooks". Miles apart musically, and I think van halen could be credited with a much bigger impact on his whole scene... and longer lasting... but, again, I think kurt had his finger on the pulse for a minute there.
AFA black flag... cmon - rollins never sounded like cobain(imo). Lyrically rollins was/is a first class poet... black flag was never that appealing to the masses - on purpose. Black flags' music was very simple and always sounded more metal than punk to me... and I just don't see any connection there, while I could see some connections to others you mentioned... I just think u r way off on this one.
not to mention - there is no stealing... unless you have sm lyrics AND sm chords - PERIOD.

#10708 by N1GHTM4R3GR33N
Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:15 pm
well i dont like to sound rude or otherwise sexist but for mostly what i seen most of the majority of people at my school that liked kurt were mostly all female and very emotionally unstable.they never quoted lyrics and never quoted him but only his date of death and when someone quotes that it really means that the persons popularity came from their sad story and sympathy bands stink.

#10709 by mistermikev
Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:44 pm
A) the flaw in that theory is that he was extremely popular well before his death...
everyone becomes more popular when they die... it's just a fact of life for the "beautiful people"... the gen public loves to feel like a real victim - so sad for the loss of their "FAVORITE".
B) the guy was popular with guys too...
I can only conclude that your school was a bad example of "kling ons" and "posers" who only jumped on the badwagon once kurt was dead.
Again, don't get me wrong... kurt was one of many 'better than average' bands that came out of the "grunge" era. He had some good hooks a crappy but recognizable voice, and a somewhat interesting choice of chords here and there.

#10737 by N1GHTM4R3GR33N
Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:05 pm
no i understand what you mean by posers and clings on but i thought if i had gone as far as too say the majority of females that liked him were posers and clings on people might attack me, but yeah i remember when his album nevermind went no.1 but it just seemed that the bulk of his fans grabbed on after he died rather then before.id have to say that maybe some were born after his time and have every right to jump on the kurt wagon but people who didnt like him because he was a musician and liked him only for his death and murder conspiracy (this being your cling ons and posers and goth wannabe's).i use to listen to his stuff all the time before i realized their were better bands and kind of moved on.

#11459 by adamswears
Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:00 pm
Heart shaped box, lithium, and come as you are

#12092 by Scottmac
Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:14 am
I love Nirvana Kirk was definetly an entertainer and a great musician

#18621 by shyartist
Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:40 am
nirvana is the best thing since sliced bread

#18622 by shyartist
Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:42 am
no offence but its kurt not kirk...kurdt is acceptable also

#18624 by shyartist
Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:47 am
nirvanas contribution to music history was getting people to lighten up and have fun....let go and explode...nirvana didn't kill metal...it opened a door to creative freedom in the mainstream

#18637 by Guitaranatomy
Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:33 pm
Kurt Cobain had some good stuff, he was very talented in his own way. I am not a major Nirvana fan, but I liked some of his stuff.

However, Dave Grohl came out of that band, and if it was not for his existence we would not have the Foo Fighters (Who rock!), so that is good.

Peace out, GuitarAnatomy.

#18644 by neanderpaul
Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:32 pm
I say nirvana changed everything and that they DID kill metal. They pushed it from the top of the charts to extremely uncool. They came along and made everyone realize that "pour some sugar on me" Should NOT be in heavy rotation. bleach and incesticide are great albums. I like most of their material. I am very glad we got Dave Grohl out of that situation because everlong is sheer brilliance. Dave also has a lot of great material. I do NOT think nirvana sounds like any of their influences. Instead they sound like a great mix of them. A mix noone had thought of to that pooint. On the periodic changing of the guards it is my opinion that the people that start genres I.E. Elvis, the beatles, NWA, nirvana, metallica, are the artists, leaders, and cool, and that the copycats I.E. Conway Twitty (yes he tried to copy Elvis for a time), Puff Daddy, Bush, nickelback, puddle of mudd etc etc are craftsmen, followers, and geeks. Some of them have good tracks, but they will always be geeks and dismissable in my book. I know this is hardcore way of thinking, and up for argument so feel free to tear it apart. I love a good, educated, musical argument.

#18647 by Guitaranatomy
Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:02 pm
neanderpaul wrote:I say nirvana changed everything and that they DID kill metal. They pushed it from the top of the charts to extremely uncool. They came along and made everyone realize that "pour some sugar on me" Should NOT be in heavy rotation. bleach and incesticide are great albums. I like most of their material. I am very glad we got Dave Grohl out of that situation because everlong is sheer brilliance. Dave also has a lot of great material. I do NOT think nirvana sounds like any of their influences. Instead they sound like a great mix of them. A mix noone had thought of to that pooint. On the periodic changing of the guards it is my opinion that the people that start genres I.E. Elvis, the beatles, NWA, nirvana, metallica, are the artists, leaders, and cool, and that the copycats I.E. Conway Twitty (yes he tried to copy Elvis for a time), Puff Daddy, Bush, nickelback, puddle of mudd etc etc are craftsmen, followers, and geeks. Some of them have good tracks, but they will always be geeks and dismissable in my book. I know this is hardcore way of thinking, and up for argument so feel free to tear it apart. I love a good, educated, musical argument.

Lol. Nothing like a good musical debate to start the day, huh? Well, I agree, there are a ton of posers, people who try to be something they are not. I liked Bush and I like Nickelback, and Puddle of Mudd has some good stuff. The only band I will not agree with you on as a copycat is Bush, they have a very unique sound. How many bands have a sound like the song "Chemicals Between Us." That is like a cross between Nine Inch Nails and Soundgarden in there, lol.

But I agree with the fact there are many people who are not unique and just copy the sound of another band. Nickelback annoys me (Even though I like them), because all of their stuff sounds the same. I am not sure who their influences are though, it is like a hard form of ZZ Top (By the way they performed "Sharp Dressed Man," in some Hall of fame thing for them I think). Puddle of Mudd did good with "Control," that was their best song.

You can keep Puff Daddy and his 14 names. He annoys the crap out of me.

These people will never be remembered like Metallica, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, etc... They are just bands we will remember as tiny things of this generation, then they will fade, lol.

#18649 by neanderpaul
Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:23 pm
^ Puddle of mudd is like a redneck version of nirvana. Nickleback has a forced buzzy vocal that crawls me. Uber cheese lyrics to boot. Bush also has a forced vocal buzz too but the number one thing about bush that annoys me.... Their first release was a HARDCORE ripoff of teen spirit. The track is called little things. The chord progression is like when a company wants to buy the rights to a huge song, finds out it's too expensive, and then pays somebody to copy it as closely as possible with infringing on copyrights. The drum beat is a dead on copy. Little things was released just months after teen spirit. I can see some greedy suit seeing dollar signs and telling bush "how it's going to be". Having said that bush does have some good songs.

I can't believe I forgot to list in my last post the bane of my existence!! The number one ripoff of the 90's and up. The band that did to grunge what pour some sugar on me did to pop metal. Creed needs to have never existed. If I had heard Tremonti with any other vocalist I might have listened with less contempt. They are my number one detested band. But, having said that, bullets off of weathered is a fierce potent rock song.

#18651 by Guitaranatomy
Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:37 pm
neanderpaul wrote:^ Puddle of mudd is like a redneck version of nirvana. Nickleback has a forced buzzy vocal that crawls me. Uber cheese lyrics to boot. Bush also has a forced vocal buzz too but the number one thing about bush that annoys me.... Their first release was a HARDCORE ripoff of teen spirit. The track is called little things. The chord progression is like when a company wants to buy the rights to a huge song, finds out it's too expensive, and then pays somebody to copy it as closely as possible with infringing on copyrights. The drum beat is a dead on copy. Little things was released just months after teen spirit. I can see some greedy suit seeing dollar signs and telling bush "how it's going to be". Having said that bush does have some good songs.

I can't believe I forgot to list in my last post the bane of my existence!! The number one ripoff of the 90's and up. The band that did to grunge what pour some sugar on me did to pop metal. Creed needs to have never existed. If I had heard Tremonti with any other vocalist I might have listened with less contempt. They are my number one detested band. But, having said that, bullets off of weathered is a fierce potent rock song.

Lol. Okay, wow. Now that I think about it, "Little Things," does sound like "Smells Like Teen Spirit," in its own way. Never noticed that. Yeah, I can see what you mean, it sucks when people just directly copy another artist. Here is something that drives me nuts, there are too many versions of "Little Wing," Jimi Hendrix would have died from that alone if he had survived the drugs! Lol. It is sickening now, too many versions of that and "While My Guitar Gently Weeps." I respect the musicians who are doing it, but it is enough already.

But as far as Creed goes, they had some good stuff. But I hate that son of a b*tch lead singer of theirs (Excuse my language), Scott Stapp. Hate him. Mark Tremonti is an awesome guitarist and is doing well enough making music with Alter Bridge. Creed's best song was "What If," after that "My Own Prison," "Illusion," and "One" were good.

So many copies of bands these days and so many bad bands with good musicians. There are sellouts galore now. At least when Metallica sold out the music was still good, these people sellout and it is horrible. Worst sellouts in the world, THE WORST, Bon Jovi. I HATE THEM!!! Woo, got to calm down, excuse me... :lol: Plus, Jon Bon Jovi and Richie Sambora are too cocky damnit. They think they are God's. Sambora is good, but I can name 200 better than him. Their music sucks now, everything sounds like "It's My Life" times 10.

Okay, I have ranted enough.

#18661 by neanderpaul
Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:21 pm
^"Little wing" is untouchable. I've never heard anyone do it better than Jimi. "While my guitar gently weeps" is great, but I really liked Jeff Healy's version too. And that Jake Shimabukuro Ukulele version on youtube is otherworldly awesome. :shock:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=O9mEKMz2Pvo
I guess I haven't heard enough bad versions of that song to be annoyed yet.
Creed's "What if" is a good song his melodies are even good but that forced, jut jaw vocal tone is enough to enrage me! :evil: I only liked the first 5 metallica albums until they came out with st anger. Bon Jovi is on my detestable list too. I was annoyed by them when they were in their heyday, but "wanted dead or alive is really amazing. Sambora is only an average guitarist, but his vox are tight on that track.