This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Rate your favorite bands and albums.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#58621 by Shapeshifter
Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:29 pm
I should add The Law did produce one decent hit...just not for them. "Miss You in a Heartbeat" rode the charts for a while-for Def Leppard.

#59296 by The Recognition
Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:40 am
neanderpaul wrote:Thinking fellars union local 282, The pixies, and Fugazi come to mind.
The pixies and Fugazi are not obscure, but bands with large followings over decades. Frank Black of the pixies still tours extensively, and Fugazi is breaking for sake of kids. I think of obscure as fast one hit wonders, that made you wonder why they came and didn't wonder why they left so fast.......

#59535 by vanderkalin
Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:52 pm
no means no, vancouvers finest, or victoria depending on the era, these guys are an anomoly, a punk band with musical skill.
#59536 by Funkhornsinger
Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:58 pm
How about Gnidrolog, they had two albums in the early 70's, the first was In spite of harrys toenail and Lady Lake, or what about Zarathustra, Italian 70's prog masterpiece, i could go on and on :P

#59568 by Powergroove75
Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:30 pm
Metal band from the 90's - Fudge Tunnel

- Mr. Bungle
- Black Light Syndrome (although they weren't really a touring band)
- Mad Season (One of Layne Staley from 'Alice in Chains' projects)

Can't think of any more right now.... I'm at work.. lol

#59650 by Andragon
Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:35 pm
Mad Season + Temple of the Dog = the best of the 90s, imo.

#61114 by ted_lord
Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:38 pm
awww poopie I'm supposed to know an obscure artist....does they might be giants count as obscure, I've heard some of their stuff on the radio, instanbul I wanna say is the name of the song....

#61115 by repressthecadence
Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:00 pm
Sort of. I've definitely heard their stuff around here and there over the years. And I have lots of their albums, but I listen to a lot of stuff.

#61127 by ratsass
Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:22 pm
Cary Smith wrote:Bob Welch - "Ebony Eyes" & "Sentimental Lady" would have been a good one for that list.

Yeah, Bob Welch album "French Kiss" had those tumes, but my fav off of that was "Outskirts".

#61129 by ratsass
Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:28 pm
jw123 wrote:One of the biggest club bands in the Memphis area during the late 70s was called Creed, no relation to Scott Stapp and crew. The Creed I knew had a great album out, I think the single was called FireCracker.

Another local group was Target, Their singer was Jimmy Jamison who went on to sing with Survivor.

Man, I grew up outside of Memphis during that time. We used to go see both those bands. Actually they were called "Southern Creed" but when they did the album they shortened it to just "Creed".
Target was managed by Butch Stone who also managed Survivor and Black Oak Arkansas. When Survivor needed a new singer, he gave them Jimmy Jamison and let Target go to hell.
In '84, when I moved here to Ozark, AR. I started with a band, Average Citizen and we had just two weeks to get ready for a gig in Bald Knob, AR called the Rockansas Jam. The headliners were "Creed" from Memphis and they rocked the house down!

#61131 by ratsass
Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:32 pm
philbymon wrote:"Savoy Brown" - '70's west coast USA

Yeah, three of the members quit and started "Foghat". I loved Savoy Brown's "Street Corner Talkin'" especially the song "Tell Mama". Would like to do a remake of that one.

#61133 by ratsass
Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:39 pm
philbymon wrote:The Amazing World of Arthur Brown (he's on utube too singing "Fire"- "I am the god of hellfire!" - wadda riot!)

Anyone ever listen to Alan Parson's Project album "Tales of Mystery and Imagination by Edgar Alan Poe"? Arthur Brown sung on one of the songs on there, I think it was "The Telltale Heart".

#61161 by HowlinJ
Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:50 pm
ted_lord wrote:awww poopie I'm supposed to know an obscure artist....does they might be giants count as obscure, I've heard some of their stuff on the radio, instanbul I wanna say is the name of the song....

Ted,
I heard a Might be Giants song on one of our better radio stations this past weekend. It was "Particle Man! (havent heard that one in awhile, but it seems that what were callin' "obscure" is a mater of degrees.
later,
HJ

#61178 by philbymon
Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:58 am
Yo, ratsass - The Flamingo Road Band's been playing "Tell Mama" for 10 years, & we ain't done it right once! I kinda like our version, but would like it better if we combined our's more with the the original. As it stands, it's hardly the same tune, but man it rocks the house! Wish I had a recorded copy of it!

#61189 by repressthecadence
Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:25 am
Particle Man's a pretty funny song. I think it was also in an episode of Malcolm in the Middle a while ago. And there was definitely a DBZ spoof of it that I found quite hilarious.

If I haven't yet mentioned it, The Reign of Kindo is obviously pretty obscure, because no one posted in that thread I made earlier lol