This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Rate your favorite bands and albums.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#253449 by GuitarMikeB
Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:47 pm
iTunes isn't MP3 - it's there own format (AIC or something, I think) which is why you can't just slide an MP3 from your computer over to an iPhone or iPod and expect to find it in the iTunes menu.
How'd you get on the MS-Australia store? Part of Tunecore?
#253458 by schmedidiah
Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:12 pm
Why start a new thread every week over this? I admire your work on your album, but you've started dozens of new threads to promote your music here Bob. It seems desperate. Sorry.
#253500 by GuitarMikeB
Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:57 pm
I just googled my album, it's on MS, too, guess that's part of the Tunecore/CD Baby set up, although mine is on the US version so $9.99, I'm guessing the link Bob gave was Australian dollars, hence the higher price.
My album is of course on the usual places: iTunes, CDbaby, amazon, but also google play, israbox.eu (European), music.yandex.ru (Russia), clubskyline.net (Latino?), downarchive.net, rippletunes.net, amazon UK, France, Italy and Japan, todoescompartido.com, torrentmafia.biz, a whole bunch of other Russian sites (I assume these are all rip off places - no money gets to me), a whole bunch of Latino/Spanish places (again no money to me) - one of these places had the following description (translated from Spanish to English):
The music , like any art form , is a cultural product . The purpose of this art is to provoke an aesthetic experience in the listener , and express feelings , emotions, circumstances , thoughts or ideas. The music is a stimulus that affects the perceptual field of the individual; Thus, the flow of sound can fulfill varied functions ( entertainment, communication , environment , fun, etc. ) . - See more at:
I'm #22 on this list: http://www.animexonline.com/rock/?action=kitsitemap&

What's it all mean? Not much. Maybe a few people will actually hear my songs ... but more people hear them when I play them out somewhere.
#253509 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:25 pm
schmedidiah wrote:Why start a new thread every week over this? I admire your work on your album, but you've started dozens of new threads to promote your music here Bob. It seems desperate. Sorry.

We should not discourage the enthusiasm of any musician (on a musicians site) for announcing and sharing their triumphs or failures along the way. We've been going through the recording process with Jimmy for months now, and it's instructive for any newbies to know what comes afterward....

So, a couple of thoughts....

When I produced the Cultural Xchange Series (3 EPs on 3 continents in a year), I tried all the various services available just to research who does what best...

"Airplay" is practically meaningless unless you are touring to the places where you have gotten a lot of market penetration. Even then it's not doing much for the bottom line. I signed on to "Radio Airplay" at Tunecore for about a year. Made hundreds of fans. Can't say that even one of them bought anything. Why should they? They have learned that music is free on the internet. They are spread out so much that emailing all of them to come to a gig would net no more than one person in any market, if that.

I still say that the best thing a band can do is get their own website at Bandzoogle. Yes, put your music up on any store that a person might stumble across, but you should always do that strategically to bring people your website. You can sell the same songs for the same price on your own site....but you'd make larger profit margins and have their data for future campaigns.

Email addresses and texting data are the new currency. When you can collect 3,000 contacts you'll be able to start making decent money from superfans.

You just gave that away to someone in Australia, Bob.

#253579 by GuitarMikeB
Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:00 pm
Bandzoogle sites are good in that they are WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) in how they are laid out, you don't need to know any fancy coding to set them up or change them. That's what we used in Instant Karma. But you do need someone to keep the site updated and fresh - letting ANY page stay the same for weeks on end will not help you.
And for the full-feature site, it's $20 a month (you save a few bucks if you pay one large annual fee) - so you better be out there doing gigs (the site won't do much for a studio musician) so you tell people (in person) to visit the site. These days most 'local' bands are using the free places - Facebook being the easy way to announce your gigs and news.
#253584 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:33 pm
RUI Musik wrote:I had my own domain (ruimusic.com) for years but it never got much traffic so I let it lapse. FB works for us.

Did you have a great CD back then? Not having your own website screams "local band" and that's enough for most musicians here. But if you are is vying for something more, I advise any/all of us to separate from the unknown pack by treating a music career seriously. If you want to be treated like a professional (not speaking to anyone specifically) you have to do what the professionals do.

I've since learned that there aren't many ambitious artists here on Bandmix....mostly musicians who just enjoy playing for the fun of it, and that's totally cool. But for those who do want to expand their audience, having your own domain and website is step 1.

Otherwise, you're giving money away that belongs to you. It may cost you $20 a month to set up a site...maybe more. But the potential to make that back (and then some more) is not available on someone else's website.

Last edited by t-Roy and The Smoking Section on Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#253659 by GuitarMikeB
Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:54 pm
Sure, if you're out there gigging beyond the local area, it makes sense.
#253741 by GuitarMikeB
Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:08 pm
my___willie wrote:they suck yes they do they seuck

Willlie's mommy finally let him have internet again. She's so proud of her little boy. Still breastfeeding, WIllie? :mrgreen: