This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Rate your favorite bands and albums.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#16940 by Cary Smith
Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:35 am
I'll have to admit that when I 1st heard Metallica in the mid 80's I just didn't get it. Just out of H-S and had spent the last 3 or 4 years trying to learn all the ZZ TOP, SRV and Lynyrd Skynyrd stuff. It wasn't until I went in the ARMY and had 3 other roommates that were fans that I started to understand.

The music was so out of my normal but I recognized the talent in it so I sat down for a full week and learned/memorized the whole ...And Justice For All album and half of Master of Puppets...I was hooked. It really opened up my eyes and new doors for my playing and writing styles. Most stuff before that was pretty straight forward.

I got to see them in Hamburg, Germany on the ...AJFA tour with Dio and Bohnam...great show! Pretty bored with it all now unless I get in the right mood.

#17025 by FastFret
Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:13 pm
CaT killer wrote:why would saint anger make you buy their stuff it was one of their worst albums.

Because it's a completely different genre of music compared to what most metallica fans like and came to expect.. People that would turn their nose to the old stuff liked the new..

Black was "ok" but everything after that just plain sucked.. that coming from a hardcore metallica fan since Garage Days...

Metallica turned into a big dissapointment for me.. and I at one time listened to them more than anything.

Maybe this new album will be better, but I doubt it.

Kudos to Mustaine and the boys over at Megadeth for keeping it real!

#17036 by jw123
Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:02 pm
Ive tryed to explain all this to my son whos into some of the newer heavy groups. Metallica is a prime example, Once an angry group gets famous and makes a lot of money they no longer can have the same anger any more. Once you become a star it comes thru in everything you do. The crazy thing with Metallica is they used to champion the whole idea of bootleg music and then they go to congress to stomp out Napster. They lost all their original credibility with their "true" fans at that point.

#17039 by FastFret
Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:07 pm
LOl not to mention theres alot of instances where Hetfield treated fans that met him in public like crap and wouldn't give people the time of day....

What a let-down that must have been for the fan that just wanted to meet his idol....

I heard a bunch of assnine crap like that over the years.

Don't snub your fans!

#17040 by Guitaranatomy
Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:14 pm
Nobody could just let this topic die, thus I have to get involved. I am a major Metallica fan, which is probably known by just looking at my avatar. Everyone always says that same thing "They sold out." Yeah, okay, whatever. Times were changing. First off, like all of you, I loved the first albums, Kill 'Em All, Ride The Lightning, Master of Puppets, And Justice For All. However, the Black Album was my favorite. Why? Because it showed their creativity. Everyone seems to think a band should never express anything but one thing. That band was still heavy metal, it may not have been "Megadeth," but it still rocked. I will take Unforgiven's solo any day over any one of the Megadeth solos from Marty Friedman (And all 50 other leads they have had) and Dave Mustaine.

I will repeat myself, yes, they did sell out. It was not their normal stuff, but it was severely creative and got them out into the scene. Where is Megadeth? Has anyone noticed that great metal band gets no air time almost? At least not on the Florida stations that is. Megadeth has some great stuff, I love them, but not as much as Metallica.

Dave Mustaine is an awesome lead and does not get enough credit. Marty Friedman gets too much credit -- I think he is great, but he is not as creative in my opinion as other guitarists. Glenn Drover, their new guitarist, he has no personality. It is like a walking drone, he has no stage presence. I think Dave Mustaine rocks, he is a bit of a cry baby still with the whole Metallica thing, but he still is cool. I do not know why he is upset, just let it go, he made an awesome band which is huge amongst metal fans (Just, for some reason, you barely hear them).

Back to Metallica though. Kirk Hammett is rated #11 on Rollingstone's 100 Greatest Guitarist list, none of the Megadeth guitarists (Including Mustaine) are. Now, do not get me wrong, I am not saying Hammett deserves such a high title (I think that list is wrong by every step below the top 10 choices), but he is apparently good enough that he was put on the list. He wrote Enter Sandman's main riff, that riff is so overplayed it is scary. Bar bands cover that song a ton and ruin it may I say. James Hetfield is a mean son of a b*tch on his guitar, and I love watching him play it.

So, I think I have made my point. Metallica to me is an awesome band, I loved Black, Load and Reload (After that, I agree, no good). Listen to the awesome blues riffs from Memory Remains, those rock. Let me quickly reply to one thing that might be said concerning who is the better guitarist: Dave Mustaine and Kirk Hammett are probably equally as good at playing, but the writing is totally different. Hammett writes with effects (He overuses that Wah though), I do not recall any solo where Mustaine uses effect pedals (If he does just let me know). Hammett also seems to have cooler sounding solos, so, apparently, Kirk is the better writer of solos. As far as riffs go, they may be equal there, but I will give Dave a couple more points ahead of Hammett on that one (Dave has some awesome riff stuff going on there). Kirk’s writing ability may be why Rollingstone pushed him so high on that list (He is the ultimate guitarist all around, just a bit sloppy live these days).

Okay, I have said enough, people completely see my stance on this subject. Metallica forever! :twisted: Lmao.

EDIT:

Yes, all bands can be a bit mean at times to the fans, I have heard this about Hetfield before, but he rocks anyway. Metallica may have sold out, but they blow any one of these bands like Trivium, Lamb of God, Atreyu (Some, but not all of their stuff, is heavier), etc., out of the water.

The whole Napster thing sucked though.

*I mean no offense to anyone, I am just saying my opinion here.

Peace out guys, GuitarAnatomy.

#18550 by rockstar3225
Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:43 am
Metallica was and still is great. how dare most of you bash on St. Anger it was a GREAT album. you can attach a solo on any one of those songs and then i bet alot of you would like it. best band ever!

#18556 by Guitaranatomy
Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:13 am
kms00 wrote:Metallica was and still is great. how dare most of you bash on St. Anger it was a GREAT album. you can attach a solo on any one of those songs and then i bet alot of you would like it. best band ever!

Lol, kms00, taste is taste. They have a right to their opinion. St. Anger had some good riffs in it, but it did not compare to the rest of their stuff. The albums I do not understand why people do not like are Load and Reload, there is some great stuff on those albums. By the way, Hammett made attempts to put solos to those songs on St. Anger, but when he failed to, they just went ahead with the shorter, modernized sound for the album. Plus it was suggested by Bob Rock I believe to go without solos, and Kirk argued with him over that. There is a video on Youtube of it.

By the way, Metallica is my favorite band.

Peace out, GuitarAnatomy.

#19431 by citizen320
Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:22 pm
Guitaranatomy wrote:
kms00 wrote:Metallica was and still is great. how dare most of you bash on St. Anger it was a GREAT album. you can attach a solo on any one of those songs and then i bet alot of you would like it. best band ever!

Lol, kms00, taste is taste. They have a right to their opinion. St. Anger had some good riffs in it, but it did not compare to the rest of their stuff. The albums I do not understand why people do not like are Load and Reload, there is some great stuff on those albums. By the way, Hammett made attempts to put solos to those songs on St. Anger, but when he failed to, they just went ahead with the shorter, modernized sound for the album. Plus it was suggested by Bob Rock I believe to go without solos, and Kirk argued with him over that. There is a video on Youtube of it.

By the way, Metallica is my favorite band.

HAHA yep. The only Metallica albums I own today are Load and Reload. I dont' think these two albums sound like anything else anyone has done. EVER. Maybe I'm wrong, but I've never heard anything else like it. Though there are a few misses that I alway skip over.

Metallica was one of my greatest inspirations for playing the guitar.

#19436 by neanderpaul
Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:40 pm
puppets, lighting, garage days, kill em all,............. St. Anger. That's it for me. The one maxell XLII tape that was played more than any other for me, I still have it and played it a few weeks ago, is ride the lightening and master of puppets. I got it in '86. I thought Trujillo pumped some new life into them. I thought the St. Anger track was fierce and fresh. I was over them a LONG time ago, but that song made me listen again. I thought load and reload were crap. Except for fuel for fire. I thought justice was weak and the production was awful. I could really feel the absence of the legendary Cliff. He was SICK!

#19443 by Guitaranatomy
Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:36 am
Citizen320, Metallica is awesome. I love that band, I listen to everything they have ever done. Except I tend to avoid the St. Anger album, lol. The song "I Disappear" that they did for Mission Impossible II was good. Load and Reload had some awesome riffs, I am addicted to a lot of songs on those albums.

NeanderPaul, Cliff Burton was the God of bass, lol. Everyone loved him, he was a very good bass player, that is for sure. Listen to the song "Orion" off of Master of Puppets. Woo, I love playing the guitar solos in that one. Robert Trujillo did bring some life back to them, but I am hoping his bass sound provides great support on their new album coming out this year.

Metallica rules.

#19457 by citizen320
Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:53 am
Guitaranatomy wrote:Citizen320, Metallica is awesome. I love that band, I listen to everything they have ever done. Except I tend to avoid the St. Anger album, lol. The song "I Disappear" that they did for Mission Impossible II was good. Load and Reload had some awesome riffs, I am addicted to a lot of songs on those albums.

NeanderPaul, Cliff Burton was the God of bass, lol. Everyone loved him, he was a very good bass player, that is for sure. Listen to the song "Orion" off of Master of Puppets. Woo, I love playing the guitar solos in that one. Robert Trujillo did bring some life back to them, but I am hoping his bass sound provides great support on their new album coming out this year.

Metallica rules.

Ya Lightning, Master, Justice, and a few choice cuts from Kill em All were literally how I learned how to play the guitar. I never took lessons, I just bought the song books for these albums and just played along with the CDs as best as I could.

#19472 by Guitaranatomy
Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:12 am
Metallica is how I have basically learned as well. I love their stuff. Not the most intricate, but very good sounding, which is more important than being technical.

#25530 by philbymon
Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:10 pm
I never really got them at all.

I suppose thier guitar playing is okay, but the lyrics suck 90% of the time.

They seem to me to be another of those "image" bands that got a following from adolescent boys who stuck with them over the years.

Just my opinion, & we all know what that's worth...nada...

If they had better material, & a better singer, maybe they could have wowed me at some point.

#25550 by Guitaranatomy
Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:04 pm
I guess it is an acquired taste then. I know I love their lyrics, mainly on the Black Album though. Those lyrics had feeling to them more than most of their albums.

Peace, GuitarAnatomy.

#25648 by Chris2203
Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:44 am
I was a huge fan back in the 80's but stopped listening not long after Cliff died.
Justice was the last album I thought passed as a Thrash Metal band.
The black album was "eh" and that load sh*t - they lost me.
Personally, I think they peaked on Ride The Lightning.
It is by far their best work IMO and still hold its own today.

I don't really like what they became, it's still metal (kind of) but not the band I loved as a headbanging teen.
They obviously don't "suck" or they wouldn't be millionaire icons in the music industry - they just aren't my Metallica anymore.