This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Rate your favorite bands and albums.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#68496 by Andragon
Tue May 26, 2009 6:19 pm
Oh Ted, you've disappointed me haha

Every album sounded different and for different reasons. They grew with each album and so did their sound.
I liked most of it. And the only song that I can honestly say was "selling out" and retarded shit like that is "Enter Sandman." And even then that was the heaviest track on the radio and none of them had an unusual [whispering] bridge like it either.

My favorites lay in the first 4 albums, but there is/are gem(s) in all their albums [even Reload and St Anger]. Post-Black Album records were experimental and weren't as bad as when most bands try to do the outrageous.

And even Lars used to be good. On Justice, he proved that he can stray from simple thrash/punk beats and breakdowns. If the bass had been louder on this record, it would've been regarded just as good as Master.

#68589 by Starfish Scott
Wed May 27, 2009 5:40 pm
say what you want..

Metallica is a long way from KILL EM ALL.

And what album you like from them clearly defines where you stand.

Earlier Metallica is what I thought was goood.

Many like AND JUSTICE FOR ALL or BLACK, but that seems to be when they became a little more commercial.

IMO "KILL EM ALL" is on the same level as "MASTER" or better.

#68732 by Andragon
Thu May 28, 2009 2:41 pm
I tried for so long to compare their records to each other and I just couldn't. Each had their own style. Yes, generally it was thrash metal, but it was different.

Kill: In your face, straight up thrash+speed metal.
Ride: Less in your face, more New Wave of metal.
Master: Same as ride+ more progressive style.
Justice: More in your face than Master, but with progressive drumming [surprisingly].
And so on.

I kinda detest the whole "they're sellouts" stance. Nothing Else Matters was the most "sellout" they got and even then it beats most "same-old-same-old" ballads of the 80s and early 90s. Maybe second to "Still Loving You," but still. Relatively unique.

#68735 by ratsass
Thu May 28, 2009 3:14 pm
People hate change and love to use the phrase "sellouts". Van Halen was a sellout for using keyboards on "1984" but I loved it as much as any of their older stuff. Bands have to progress.

#73602 by Aftertodayguitarist
Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:32 pm
ya know no matter what i love metallica and their not the greatest players in the world but they are great together. they might not be the fastest or most technical but their sound is tight and and death magnetic is them at what they do best

#73705 by Andragon
Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:23 am
dmcmctdzd wrote:..and and death magnetic is them at what they do best

Are you implying its their best work or that they're just having fun?
The latter is more credible.

#73755 by Starfish Scott
Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:46 pm
Next he'll be telling us how great STRYPER is/was...

(zZzzzZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz)

#79449 by bundydude
Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:51 pm
There was a time when Metallica were my favorite band. The first five albums are great. Although, I wasn't crazy about the Black album at first, later I realized what a awesome album it was/is...When evrything is put into context; Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, all true innovators within the metal genre, and, Metallica was as well. The material that came after the Black album, for me at least, was weak and seemed to lose it's edge. But, sales and popularity would say otherwise, and I can't deny that. St. Anger was suppose to be they're return to heaviness, so to speak...It was horrible, in my opinion. The mix was one of the worst I've ever heard, especially the drums...What was with the snare sound, absolute garbage. I've heard four track cassette recordings that had a better snare sound. The new one, Death Magnetic, is a pretty good release. A lot of the riffs are classic Metallica, sometimes, to the point of sounding dated. But, I'll take it all day over the last several releases. Again, the mix is much to loud and sounds distorted at times. To much gain and over compressed. Overall, love them or hate them, Metallica are one of the greatest metal bands of all time. That being said, they haven't been one of my favorites in quite a long time.

#82938 by babyhoss
Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:25 pm
without metallica you wouldnt have all these stupid so called hardcore bands calling themselve metal, they invented thrash metal as we know it and even after the st. anger era they came out on top.

#83941 by slash jr.
Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:54 am
death magnetic,the black album, and master of puppets are one of the
most genious metal CDs ever.I can play most the songs. metallica RULES! :twisted:

#91039 by RobBradley
Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:44 am
I used to enjoy them, they were very crucial to the history of Thrash. I joined a band though that just f**k around all day covering Metallica, I grew very tired of them, the only thing that I got more tired of was Metallica fanboys, christ. My favorite argument was when one stated that James was the most technically skilled vocalist in hard rock/metal, sure lol.

But honestly, I enjoyed Master of Puppets, Ride the Lightning, Metallica and parts of Death Magnetic, I respect their work but simply have a case of overexposure for me.

#103379 by Cretindilettante
Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:00 am
I do not care for metallica, mainly because their lyrics are terribly written and they're just overall boring to listen to. There's plenty of other rock and metal bands with more interesting music, and well written lyrics.