This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Rate your favorite bands and albums.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#5946 by Melodic Insomnia
Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:22 pm
Jimmy Page was the most versatile guitar player of all. He may not have been the best in any one catagory, but he had amazing hooks, and studio savy. He covered about the whole spectrum of sound, and style. I mean when you consider a song like The Battle Of Evermore on the same album as "When The Levee Breaks". Or The Immigrant Song, and Tangerine, on the 3rd album. or The Rainsong, contrasting with Dancin' Days on Houses of the Holy, and it goes on, and on. The guy was genius. Zeppelins biggest knock was not being able to produce their studio sound live, but when the band was in a groove, and improvising on stage, they were untouchable.

#8208 by Runcers
Mon May 07, 2007 2:47 pm
I would say that statement is a million miles from the truth. Most rock guitarists of the 70s and 80s were versatile. I mean the Jazz Blues of Lazy to the Classic Grand Pomp of Stargazer from Ritchie Blackmore and then onto play 16th century acoustic folk music, I would say that was a bit on the versatile side.

Hendrix was extremely versatile from Jass to Rock to funk. Jeff beck, Clapton, and session musicians such as Jamie Glazer Bryan adams to Jean Luc Ponty

Versatility is a common thing with most pro guitarists even those who play in covers and function bands. As for writing stuff, what about the Stones, The Beatles David Bowie, I would say Page is far down the pecking order both in terms of skill and versatility IMHO