This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Rate your favorite bands and albums.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#43288 by thesystemhasfailed
Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:03 pm
best bass player- matt freeman (Rancid)

best drummer- dave lombardo (slayer)
#43451 by Bass Beamer
Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:13 am
madirishdrummer wrote:in my opinion and pls rember my age of 45 the best drummer is Ringo Starr, as he influenced more people to get into drumming I feel then anyone else. The best bass player in my opinon is Jack Bruce formerly of Cream. The man is just an animal.

Jack Bruce... Right on brother!

#45533 by JNocella
Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:15 pm
<----- The picture says it all.

#45859 by Black57
Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:44 pm
Here's my bass player. He is going to be in the states for only 2 gigs, I think. He will be in the Bay area next May. It would be worth the trip!

This is THEEE man, Avishai Cohen:

http://www.myspace.com/avishaicohenmusic

#45861 by philbymon
Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:10 pm
Mary - that is just so wrong! How the heck can anyone do that stuff on an upright?

Thanks for that.

Listening to stuff like this (& Bela Fleck's Vic Wooten or Mark King or even Stanley Clark) reminds me how much of a hack I really am, compared to someone who can actually PLAY the damned instrument!

#45866 by Black57
Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:26 pm
philbymon wrote:Mary - that is just so wrong! How the heck can anyone do that stuff on an upright?

Thanks for that.

Listening to stuff like this (& Bela Fleck's Vic Wooten or Mark King or even Stanley Clark) reminds me how much of a hack I really am, compared to someone who can actually PLAY the damned instrument!

He's HOT. I am going to try and see him when he comes to San Fran next year. If I do go...I will not be the same. :| I first heard him on a Chic Corea CD. after that, I ordered his Layla CD. On that CD there his version of the Beetles "Come Together" where the only instrument playing is his bass.

#45867 by Black57
Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:52 pm
philbymon wrote:Listening to stuff like this (& Bela Fleck's Vic Wooten or Mark King or even Stanley Clark) reminds me how much of a hack I really am, compared to someone who can actually PLAY the damned instrument!

Actually, you should be thinkin' "Man, I need to be practicin'."

#46265 by shawnz
Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:38 am
Geezer Butler and Bill Ward.

#46674 by racefanrob
Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:46 pm
. . . man . . . there are so many great ones ?
John Entwistle

& Ginger Baker

#54485 by bowlerhat_bassist
Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:51 pm
DAN THE MAN wrote:MOST PEOPLE TODAY LISTEN TO CRAPPY MUSIC THEY DONT KNOW WHAT A GOOD BASS PLAYER OR DRUMMER SOUNDS LIKE

dude, I hear you. I'm scrolling through this stuff, and some things posted just make me shake my head.

#54594 by repressthecadence
Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:51 pm
Because there are way too many great bassists and drummers to list, I'll just name the biggest influences to my writing.

When I first started playing bass, Chris Wolstenholme from Muse was a huge influence to me. Clever bass riffs that often worked as melodies for the three-piece band, plus ridiculous endurance that I couldn't replicate. Brendan Brown of The Receiving End of Sirens also wrote some pretty amazing basslines, holding down much of the vocals at the same time.

Drummers that inspired my writing. . . Probably Andrew Cook, again of TREOS, and Steve Clifford from Circa Survive.

@DAN THE MAN and bowlerhat_bassist: A major problem with many musicians and music listeners today is that they aren't open to the fact that their way isn't always the best way. Our viewpoints differ, because we do, and that's what makes music great. If we all adored Mike Portnoy and John Myung (Don't get me wrong, I think they're stellar musicians) and no one else, things would get boring pretty quickly, wouldn't they? Just because a player isn't "good" or "the best" in your opinion doesn't entitle them to be hated and scorned, does it? Not to mention the fact that the thread title is "Favorite" bassist/drummer, not "best."

Just a thought, of course

#54863 by pusMonkey
Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:27 pm
@DAN THE MAN and bowlerhat_bassist: A major problem with many musicians and music listeners today is that they aren't open to the fact that their way isn't always the best way. Our viewpoints differ, because we do, and that's what makes music great. If we all adored Mike Portnoy and John Myung (Don't get me wrong, I think they're stellar musicians) and no one else, things would get boring pretty quickly, wouldn't they? Just because a player isn't "good" or "the best" in your opinion doesn't entitle them to be hated and scorned, does it? Not to mention the fact that the thread title is "Favorite" bassist/drummer, not "best."

I didn't even see Mike Portnoy or John Myung listed. Did I miss something? Of course anything stated here is opinions only. I don't think anybody's stating anyone as "the best". It's all relevant to what we listen to. I personally listen to a lot of progressive rock and think Mike Portnoy is one of the best drummers around. But I also like Mark Zonder (Fates Warning/Slavior), Nicko McBrain (Iron Maiden), Scott Rockenfield, Phil Collins (Peter Gabriel-era) and the drummers from Lemur Voice and Poverty's No Crime.

As far as bassist I've always liked Pete Trewavas' (Marillion/Transatlantic) style. I'm also probably the only person on this site that likes Chip Z'nuff (Enuff Z'Nuff).

So as combos go I would say Pete Trewavas and Mike Portnoy (Transatlantic), Mike Rutherford and Phil Collins (Genesis) and Ace Frehley and Peter Criss (KISS).

#54864 by repressthecadence
Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:36 pm
Nah, you didn't miss anything. I just go to school surrounded by a lot of metalheads, and all I hear about is Dream Theater this and that. I was just using them as an example.

#55339 by messy j
Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:19 pm
dennis chambers and bunny bruneel.

#56285 by NoBloodNoAlibi
Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:45 am
Ok best bassists I may truly like:
Ryan Martinie- Mudvayne (why hasn't anyone named him yet?)
Justin Chancellor- Tool!
Geddy Lee- Rush (obviously)
John Mcvie- Fleetwood Mac (old favorite of mine)
Phoenix- Linkin Park (Great Player and funny guy!)

Drummers:
Shannon Larkin- GODSMACK!!
The Rev- Avenged Sevenfold
Neil Peart- Rush (Influence)
Chris Adler- Lamb of God (Influence)
Rob Bourdon- Linkin Park!
Matt McDonough- Mudvayne (Only reason they are "math metal")