This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Rate your favorite bands and albums.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#56565 by pusMonkey
Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:48 am
Dave Hope and Phil Ehart (Kansas)

#56595 by philbymon
Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:41 pm
Eh...aside from Vic Wooten & Futureman, gimme Entwistle & Moon - those guys ROCKED, man!

But then, Tony Levin & Manu Katche aren't bad at all, if ya like Peter Gabriel's stuff, or just about ANYONE that plays with Paul Simon.
#56658 by sherry razor
Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:41 am
Noel Redding, but I have him tied w/Jack Cassidy, (Jefferson Airplane) not only because of his work w/ JA, but his stellar work on Voodoo Child.

.....keeping a close second in my heart is is Jack Bruce, like, who else could keep up that kind of cool/dexterity/speed when playing w/Ginger Baker????

#57812 by Power is Serious
Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:37 pm
Being that music is completely subjective its difficult to say who is better, I mean you got guys like Victor Wooten -a virtuoso that has an extremely wide range of style and abilities, guys like Flea or the bassist from Tower of Power who are excellent funk bassists...guys like Geddy Lee,Chris Squire or John Entwhistle with incredible tones and ability or blazing speed bassists such as Steve Harris from Iron Maiden...there are so many talented individuals out there its difficult to say who is better, I think all you can do is say who is your favorite.
With that said my own personal favorite would have to be Geezer Butler -when played against the guitar his bass lines are extremely heavy, trippy and imaginative, his aggresive playing style is quite odd -akin to a banjo player on speed. To me his early bass parts actually defined the term "Heavy".
Although he is a bit quiet in the mix when compared to a Geddy Lee or Chris Squire you can still hear (if you listen very closely) the shocking bass solo going back and forth with the guitar solo in Warpigs-at times its actually faster and at least as creative as the guitar. Even a very simple song like Iron man has a pretty interesting bass solo during the guitar solo (Guitar is prominent on one speaker while the bass is heard better in the other), the quick running bass line near the end is very well controlled and blends beautifully with the fast paced drum build up...the introduction to Faries wear boots is another example of perfect guitar/bass interaction-the bass plays against the guitar in a remarkably well thought out and extremely heavy manner.

As far as drummers Buddy Rich was great-especially his own Big Band from the late 60's....Bill Ward was excellent and was the first to have that modern sounding kick drum tone ....John Bonham's playing was what energized all Led Zepplin songs ....the very underated Karen Carpenter who could never go off-time (even while singing)...studio drummer Vinnie Caluchie...Neil Pearts very "musical" playing was ground breaking for its time....Mike Portnoy is incredible and at that stunning Victor Wooten level of virtuoso...The drummer from 'Beneath the buried and me' is amazing
.......I could go on all day about the multitude of other incredible players out there, I guess its really all about personal preference.

#67691 by wrath04
Mon May 18, 2009 9:21 am
Rex Brown & Vinny Paul (formally of Pantera) got my vote easily. Saw them live so many times I lost count, all great shows.

Cant go wrong with former Slayer drummer Paul Bostaph either. Saw him live in 98' , he tore it up!

#74240 by kilcoyne66
Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:11 pm
Cliff Burton of Metallica and Jack Kilcoyne of Mushroomhead are my 2 favorites. They've been the most influential to me. But I also like Flea, Geezer Butler, and Les Claypool. As far as drummers, I have to go with Joey Jordison of Slipknot and Danny Carey of Tool

#75392 by bundydude
Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:34 pm
kilcoyne66....What about Joe...huh?

#75745 by PocketGroovesGSO
Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:05 pm
Justin and Danny from Tool work really well together. I also like P-NUT and Chad from 311; they are really tight and lay down a great groove. Ryan and Matt from Mudvayne, definitely!

#75799 by Andragon
Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:54 pm
You know what, Grooves? I think Adam and Danny work together more than Justin and Danny. I feel like Justin is playing "lead bass." But yea in some parts, they musically stick together like glue.

#76083 by PocketGroovesGSO
Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:43 pm
Andragon wrote:You know what, Grooves? I think Adam and Danny work together more than Justin and Danny. I feel like Justin is playing "lead bass." But yea in some parts, they musically stick together like glue.

You're right, Justin does play lead bass. With the stuff Adam is doing on guitar, there are places in the music where Justin and Adam trade rolls. Adam is doing a more "bassist" feel playing in the pocket, and Justin is playing more melodic lead stuff. Schism is a perfect example. Listening to the song, the band is only playing the traditional guitar/bass/drums in the heavy break in the middle of the song. The rest of the time, Justin is up front and Adam is in the pocket.

I prefer not to play like this, but it is very interesting to listen to it. ;)

#76096 by AirViking
Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:43 pm
philbymon wrote:Eh...aside from Vic Wooten & Futureman, gimme Entwistle & Moon - those guys ROCKED, man!

But then, Tony Levin & Manu Katche aren't bad at all, if ya like Peter Gabriel's stuff, or just about ANYONE that plays with Paul Simon.

woot i hear that bro! the wooten bros are the best

#77421 by HowlinJ
Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:39 am
The other day I decided to give "Crown Of Creation" by The Jefferson Airplane a spin.

I got to tell Y'all

"OL Casady and Dryden made a decent bass- drum rhythm machine! :shock: :twisted: :D

Howlin'

#77433 by RGMixProject
Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:09 am
I went through everyone of the posts and I can't.....I am so mad. How could all you musicians miss the greatest bass/drum solo of all time. The forefarthers that set the standard and featuring the 17:05 minute side-long track that shook the entire music industry with its phenomenal reception. Man O man, kids now a days :evil: Ron Bushy, Drums and Lee Dorman, Bass

#81046 by Thuh Chris
Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:22 pm
Bass: Les Claypool. He tried out to be the bassist for Metalica and Kirk didn't want him because he was TOO good. listen to My name is Mud by primus. bass is sick

Drummer: Buddy rich. No one really knows about this guy, mainly because he died. rest his soul. but also he was a jazz drummer. Jazz drummers are thee sickest drummers out there! no question.
Neil Peart was shown up by a nobody jazz drummer. He tried out for a southern drum competition and did an amazing solo. then the jazz guy comes up and does the same one.... one handed.

Look up buddy and tell me that he didn't just blow you away.