This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Rate your favorite bands and albums.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#82028 by drewbass80
Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:13 am
If I am going for the combo I'd have to say John Myung and Mike Portnoy of Dream Theater. Myung is definitely my favorite bass player. I may pick another drummer if I thought about it more, but Portnoy is amazing.

#83103 by Slayala
Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:50 pm
drewbass contact me @ [email protected]...I'll tell you my favorite bass player

#83404 by drewbass80
Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:30 pm
hammerfist wrote:drewbass contact me @ [email protected]...I'll tell you my favorite bass player

Send a message to my profile and let me know. I'm guessing it would be someone in the death metal genre.

#84704 by GravityTank
Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:56 pm
Best drummer: Gavin Harrison
Best bassist: Victor Wooten

#84792 by Prevost82
Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:08 pm
I played with Stu Hamm and Yosi Fine this summer, both are incredible bass players

Stu's played with Steve Vai, Frank Gambale, Joe Satriani.
Yosi's played with David Bowie, Stanley Jordan, Ruben Blades to name a few
Stanley Clark
Flea

But to me the one player that every great bass player has copied in someway and built their chops on is Jaco Pastorius.

Drummers .. way to many, Ginger Baker, Neil Peart, Phil Collins, Buddy Rich, Charlie Watts, Stewart Copland

#85377 by Andragon
Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:51 am
Prevost82 wrote:I played with Stu Hamm

What?!! Madness!

#87830 by ryckykay86
Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:10 pm
paul mccartney/john paul jones and john bonham/lars ulrich

#90767 by carmel
Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:02 pm
:) all greats but right now its gotta be tools drummer what about cures drummer diisintegration

#90768 by carmel
Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:07 pm
Andragon wrote:
Prevost82 wrote:I played with Stu Hamm

What?!! Madness!
:) :) :) :) great pick what about the drummer for tool hot right now
#90769 by carmel
Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:16 pm
Vocals & Bass wrote:There are so many good bass players that I could never name all my favorites. And they are so under rated, I dont know their names without collecting information on the artist.[Bands] But, if you hear a good guitarist,drummer. There is always a bassist that will blow your mind. {stone temple pilots,alice in chains,disturbed,etc.{alot of them are Distinct back-up vocalist} {Its not Alice in Chains without back-up vocals}. DRUMMER: Bonham,Tommy Lee, Neal Peart. Drummer for the Who is awsome. A drummer told me once"The drummer for Skynard followed the lead & rythym guitar players alot??" Im not a drummer, so I dont know. But, an interesting thought. A common rule is the bassist & drummer work close together, HEART of the band. And with that, highlight the fact, That there are no rules or standards you must follow when writing music. What are your views & opinions on Bassist & Drummers? In the positive aspect.
:) :) great drummers i like the dummer for tool i play drums and do follow the rythym guitar alot

#90792 by carmel
Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:32 am
Power is Serious wrote:Being that music is completely subjective its difficult to say who is better, I mean you got guys like Victor Wooten -a virtuoso that has an extremely wide range of style and abilities, guys like Flea or the bassist from Tower of Power who are excellent funk bassists...guys like Geddy Lee,Chris Squire or John Entwhistle with incredible tones and ability or blazing speed bassists such as Steve Harris from Iron Maiden...there are so many talented individuals out there its difficult to say who is better, I think all you can do is say who is your favorite.
With that said my own personal favorite would have to be Geezer Butler -when played against the guitar his bass lines are extremely heavy, trippy and imaginative, his aggresive playing style is quite odd -akin to a banjo player on speed. To me his early bass parts actually defined the term "Heavy".
Although he is a bit quiet in the mix when compared to a Geddy Lee or Chris Squire you can still hear (if you listen very closely) the shocking bass solo going back and forth with the guitar solo in Warpigs-at times its actually faster and at least as creative as the guitar. Even a very simple song like Iron man has a pretty interesting bass solo during the guitar solo (Guitar is prominent on one speaker while the bass is heard better in the other), the quick running bass line near the end is very well controlled and blends beautifully with the fast paced drum build up...the introduction to Faries wear boots is another example of perfect guitar/bass interaction-the bass plays against the guitar in a remarkably well thought out and extremely heavy manner.

As far as drummers Buddy Rich was great-especially his own Big Band from the late 60's....Bill Ward was excellent and was the first to have that modern sounding kick drum tone ....John Bonham's playing was what energized all Led Zepplin songs ....the very underated Karen Carpenter who could never go off-time (even while singing)...studio drummer Vinnie Caluchie...Neil Pearts very "musical" playing was ground breaking for its time....Mike Portnoy is incredible and at that stunning Victor Wooten level of virtuoso...The drummer from 'Beneath the buried and me' is amazing
.......I could go on all day about the multitude of other incredible players out there, I guess its really all about personal preference.
:o
wow forgot about an all time great used to be a regular on the tonite show

#95536 by Archangel Zero
Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:01 pm
Tom Bailey from The Thompson Twins...What?...What?...I'm serious.

#99463 by jp700
Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:51 pm
even though "favorite this" and "favorite that" discussions are by nature self-indulgent and pointless, I will have to say Paul Jackson and Mike Clark of the Headhunters are mine.(bassist and drummer)

#102182 by The Unlight
Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:36 am
Bass Steve DiGiorGio, Sammi Hinkaa,

Drums, Gene Hoglan, Yanic Bercier.

#102519 by bundydude
Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:18 am
The Unlight said; Steve DiGiorgio/Bass and Gene Hoglan/Drums.

Could not agree more!!!!

Two others I dig; Mark Zonder/Drums (Fates Warning) and Markus Grosskopf (Helloween)