This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Rate your favorite bands and albums.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#5396 by KiLLiNHiLLz44
Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:07 am
as much as i'd like to choose members from two different bands....

Fave Bassie: Eric Wilson of Sublime

Fave Drummer: Bud Gaugh of Sublime

soo irie

#5403 by Casey of Black Santa
Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:32 pm
i love reggae and stuff stuff that really grooves but i could never get into Sublime. i honoestly don't know why, but the are good musicians.

Aston "Family Man" Barrett of the Wailers was really good i think.
#5454 by Vocals & Bass
Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:06 pm
It seems like everyone is from a younger generation. In the 70s, while listening to bands like Rush, Yes. etc. I was also listening to bands like Earth, Wind, & Fire. Isley Brothers, Brothers Johnson, Funkadelic, Average White Band, Steely Dan, Rick James, etc. These are where all the really good Bass players are from. Doesnt anybody know who "Bootsy" is ???? This is just a few of the great Soul & R&B Bassist. Not holding in account the good Bassist from the 70s Disco era. These guys not only knew how to play a Bass, They knew how to apply effects. In my opinion, Soul & R&B are where you will find the great Bassist

#5472 by RhythmMan
Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:15 pm
m m m m . . . don't leave out jazz . . .

#5476 by Vocals & Bass
Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:59 am
Samic-BluesFunkJazz wrote:m m m m . . . don't leave out jazz . . .
Maybe soul & R&B evolved from jazz, blues, & gospel. Like other styles also. ? [ just a guess ].?

#5512 by Casey of Black Santa
Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:46 pm
Bootsy? YES! P-Funk, James Brown, Bootsy's Rubber Band! of course, he's great. Louis Johnson and all those Funk guys could could really thump it. i'm just more into bassist who don't play bass like a "normal" bassist would play a bass.

i.e. Brian Gibson, Squarepusher, Kevin Rutmanis.

i like bassists with cool tone too. i think Kim Gordon from Sonic Youth had a great tone on "My Friend Goo", and pretty much all of SY's early stuff, and later styff too i guess.

i just find it more interesting for a bass player to play stuff that fits well without slaping around all the time. but if slapping around fits well, then by God slap away!

or, as my friends and i would say, "Spank the Plank"!

Les Claypool anyone?

#5526 by Vocals & Bass
Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:30 am
Casey of Black Santa wrote:Bootsy? YES! P-Funk, James Brown, Bootsy's Rubber Band! of course, he's great. Louis Johnson and all those Funk guys could could really thump it. i'm just more into bassist who don't play bass like a "normal" bassist would play a bass.

i.e. Brian Gibson, Squarepusher, Kevin Rutmanis.

i like bassists with cool tone too. i think Kim Gordon from Sonic Youth had a great tone on "My Friend Goo", and pretty much all of SY's early stuff, and later styff too i guess.

i just find it more interesting for a bass player to play stuff that fits well without slaping around all the time. but if slapping around fits well, then by God slap away!

or, as my friends and i would say, "Spank the Plank"!

Les Claypool anyone?
I know that name, Les Claypool. But cant place it. Who does he play for Casey? A Bass player?

#5545 by Casey of Black Santa
Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:20 am
PRIMUS man! Primus is very cool, however, i saw them last October in Dallas and it was very disapointing i must say. it was bassically a "best of" set and it was in a big auditorium and the set was too short and...

yeah, disapointing, but Ler Lelonde (guitar) was kickin butt the whole way through. he is highly underated.

#6762 by SDavis22
Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:04 pm
I think Primus sucks, although Les is a virtuoso bass guitar player...

My favorite bassist would be Paul McCartney, and my favorite drummers are Tony Williams from the Miles Davis Quintet and Keith Moon from the Who.
#7398 by Vocals & Bass
Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:03 pm
Cheryl Crowe: She is not only a talented Bass Player, etc. She is very easy on the eyes. :shock:
#7550 by madirishdrummer
Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:33 pm
in my opinion and pls rember my age of 45 the best drummer is Ringo Starr, as he influenced more people to get into drumming I feel then anyone else. The best bass player in my opinon is Jack Bruce formerly of Cream. The man is just an animal.

#7716 by DRUMMER SEEKING BAND(S)
Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:44 pm
Rush may be good but they have never been this tight. On the first clip try and even find the "1" (if you can even follow the drum and bass lines). I was a huge Rush fan until I saw this band in 94'. Hands down the tighest band walking the earth. But I still like Rush.

Sorry guys, I like Earth Wind and Fire also but they couldn't pull these grooves and especially these horn parts off like these guys. Not even close.

BTW - Tower of Power, David Garibaldi, Rocco Prestia - ring a bell?

Oakland Stroke - hands down the tightest drums in bass on record.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/wma-pop- ... 03-7190511

What is Hip - try and play the bass line note for note. If you like the B-3 watch the entire clip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xE-TfJQ0WKA

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 2568842371 &hl=en

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMhrScWm634

#8583 by Backlit
Wed May 16, 2007 10:33 pm
Danny Carey is far and away my favorite drummer.

#8603 by JPSalamanca
Thu May 17, 2007 7:59 am
Yes, Danny Carey from Tool is definitely amazing - one of those down-to-earth drummers that has a great combo of technique and feeling put together, and definitely fills in that empty space a drummer's supposed to fill.

And Victor Wooten is my favorite bassist. Hands down.