This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Rate your favorite bands and albums.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#8685 by mistermikev
Fri May 18, 2007 4:32 pm
If we're talking best bass player drummer combo...
-john bonham and john paul jones on "ramble on".
-paul mcartney and ringo star on "Revolution".
-geddy lee and neal pert on "2112"
-Tony Hall and Raymond Weber on "New Orleans (city beneath the sea)"
=harry connick jrs "Star Turtle" album

fav all time bass player - victor wooten
fav all time drummer - peter erskine - haven't even heard a lot of his stuff but this one 'drum technique' cd I got with erskine, bissonett, weckl, bozzio, and chambers led me to believe that this guy is absolutely king. His sound itself is so nice... really stands out from the other drummers on that cd.
#8688 by DRUMMER SEEKING BAND(S)
Fri May 18, 2007 5:57 pm
Vic Wooten is amazing!! Great showman to boot. Saw him 3 times and I just leave with my jaw dragging on the ground.

Peter Erskine - great drummer! great signature snare drum!!!

You mentioned that Weckl was in that video. What do you think of him?

jason
#8690 by DRUMMER SEEKING BAND(S)
Fri May 18, 2007 6:09 pm
I do not know if I can pick a bass player. I like to listen to Wooten, Prestia, Pattattucci, etc. But being a drummer I like a lot of different styles. Not sure if I could pick one bass player because there are soooo many good ones out there.

As far as drummers it get's no better than James Brown drummers!!!!There has been a lot of talk about Keith Moon, Ringo Starr, John Bohnam, etc. BUT - remember that all of the drum tracks laid down by a JB band had two drummers playing at the same time. NOT ONLY DID CLYDE STUBBLFIELD AND JABO STARKS HAVE FLAWLESS TIMING BUT THEY INVENTED FUNK DRUMMING.

Also, I cannot believe that no one has mentioned Bernard Purdie yet - Pretty Purdie has played on over 3,000 records. The most recorded man on the drums. Wanna talk versitile. WOW.

The tighest duo of bass and drums is Prestia/Garibaldi. Bass Player Mag. refered to them as "tighter than a clinched fist".

Just my little opinion.

jason
#8733 by mistermikev
Sun May 20, 2007 12:31 am
Tower Nut wrote:Vic Wooten is amazing!! Great showman to boot. Saw him 3 times and I just leave with my jaw dragging on the ground.

Peter Erskine - great drummer! great signature snare drum!!!

You mentioned that Weckl was in that video. What do you think of him?

jason

I am no drummer so I'm not sure how qualified I am to appraise weckl but I liked what I heard. Pretty much everone on the cd is awesome! Bissonet, bozzio, chambers...
I bought the cd/book to get better at clapping out rythms... needless to say I never finished mastering all that was there... but you take what you can and let it influence you and go back to it and take another small bite when you are ready! Works for me anyway.

#8855 by N1GHTM4R3GR33N
Wed May 23, 2007 8:12 pm
les claypool, his bass playing is off the walls like in tommy the cat or to defy the laws of tradition

#8878 by Joliet Dave
Thu May 24, 2007 6:56 am
Geezer Butler of Black Sabbath, Jack Bruce of Cream, John Paul Jones of Led Zeppelin and for good old blues west coast jump no one beats Bill Stuve of Rod Piazza & The Mighty Flyers.
Drummers would be Bill Ward of Sabbath, John Bonham, Neil Peart, Stewart Copeland Ian Paice of Deep Purple, Bob Rondinelli, Jimi Bott for blues to name a few.

#8933 by darockguitar1
Fri May 25, 2007 12:43 pm
yeah, its true people don't really know what a good bass player or drummer is now a days, but keep in mind the different styles. Personally, and this has nothing to do with me being a chili pepper, I think Flea is the man with the bass, no doubt in my mind.

#10312 by GaryWeimer
Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:50 pm
It's tough to just pick one. I've been influenced by just about anyone I've ever listened to.

That said, on my list of favorite bass players:
James Jamerson, Jack Bruce, Gary Thain, Dennis Dunaway, Chris Squire, John Wetton, Tony Levin, Tom Petersson...

Drummers:
Bonham, Denny Carmassi, Bobby Caldwell, Neil Peart, Terry Bozzio, Pat Mastellotto, Ginger Baker...

#10533 by Vocals & Bass
Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:18 am
My most influenced Band period, Would have to be 'BAD COMPANY'. I remember in the early 70s when , 'Good Lovin Gone Bad' was released. I was just a young teenager then. 'Rock Steady' brings back memories also. 'The Sky Is 'Burning'. All of their song are about who I am. & Paul Rodgers has always been a vocalist I am able to closely Mimic. As he is the only one able to closely Mimic 'Freddy Mercury'. The bass player with 'FREE" [Late 60s] Their name of the band before 'Bad Company' Is underated & stands with the Best of the Best. 'All Right Now'.

#14809 by OldMusiciansNeverDie
Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:51 pm
So many to choose from.......
Drummers: Neil Peart, Steve Gadd, Vinnie Coliudo, Danny Carey, John Bonham, Dave Weckl,..................tons more!
Bass Players: John Entwhistle, Jack Bruce, Paul McCartney, Geddy Lee, Victor Wooten, ................loads more here too.

#15162 by CyYoung
Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:58 am
Boy, did this thread flame out all of a sudden. Well, I'm new to the board, so I'm gonna throw down.

Alla you mugs seem to be stuck in the Heavy Metal, but there was a time in the late 60s early 70s when there were more great drummers than there has ever been since in this old man's opinion. I'll list 3 below, and they don't even include Mitch Mitchell ("Manic Depression"), John Bonham ("Misty Mountain Hop") or Ginger Baker ("Those Were the Days"):

3.) Phil Collins - Genesis (Peter Gabriel era) - most people cite Bruford of Yes, but Collins was steadier and just as inventive.

2.) BJ Wilson - Procol Harum-played with a whip-snap style. Just listen to "Bringing Home the Bacon" and the live "A Salty Dog."

1.) Keith Moon - The Who - I dare you to find more precise and yet more explosive drumming than what you hear on Tommy from beginning to end, and this from a guy who probably did not even have one moment when he was in his "right" mind. Incredible. Team him up with Entwhistle, and even Townshend sounds like a good guitarist.

#15163 by CyYoung
Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:00 am
Oops! Sorry...

I didn't turn the page.

#20555 by jmccabe
Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:12 am
My favourite bass players are Chris Wolstenhome (Muse) who is just brilliant, John Taylor - especially in early Duran Duran - his lines are very imaginative for the time, and of course Geddy Lee. Barry Adamson of Magazine is also very interesting.

For drummers, I'd go for John Doyle (Magazine & The Armoury Show) - great rhythm, effective beats but nothing too flashy and boring, and Roger Taylor of Duran Duran, especially when playing along with John Taylor.

#20852 by HowlinJ
Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:32 am
I will limit my opinions to "drummer bass player teams" of note.

Keith Moon & John Entwistle

Ginger Baker & Jack Bruce

Richard Starkey & Sir Paul

Stewart Copland & Sting

Spencer Dryden & Jack Cassady

Neal Smith & Dennis Dunaway

Carmen Apice & Tim Bogart

Al Jackson & "Duck" Dunn

Neil Peart & Getty Lee

Jack De Johnette & Dave Holland

ECT.

Bottom line, If your rhythm section (bass & drums) aint "on" , You aint got a band!