This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Rate your favorite bands and albums.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#4958 by liquid_embrace
Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:15 pm
I always thought that for his given genre, CC was an above average guitarist. Could he stand up against the elite? Nah; but his style of playing, he was good. There were a few, back then.

Vitto Bratta? Reb Beach? Warren DeMartini? George Lynch?

Surely some of you remember those guys.

#4961 by bryteh20
Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:51 pm
Eric Clapton....good...but most definitely overrated...i agree 100%.
tell me if im right....or wrong
vito bratta-white lion
Reb Beach-Winger
Warren Demartini-Ratt
George Lynch-dokken
Yessss.... all very good guitarist..that type of metal is my favorite and i believe that that era in music is when all the guitar gods emerged. They are all so under rated as musicians. its really quite sad.

What about Scotti hill and "Snake" sabo from skid row. they are really quite a talented duo if u ask me.

#4963 by liquid_embrace
Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:03 pm
Being born in 1974 and being in high school in the late 80s, early 90s, I was heavily influenced by that genre. I remember George Lynch, Warren DeMartini, Randy Rhodes and John Sykes being big influences on my desire to play.

(Anyone remember the Dokken video for "Dream Warriors"?)

You're right; those Jersey guitarists along with Richie Sambora had a big impact on music of that time frame.

Even though my musical tastes have evolved as I've grown (more into ambient, slowcore and shoegaze now), I still love throwing in those old CDs and giving them a listen.

#4964 by Vocals & Bass
Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:10 pm
The 80s long haired band era is one of my favorite, But I was glad to see the Seattle,Wa. era-90s to emerge. Before then there were few high-range vocals that I could match. Seattle changed all that. Now after a decade of Alternative/Modern Rock{as to say]. I have alot of classic music to choose from. Ratt,Cinderella,Dokkin,etc. all are favorites of the 80s.

#4965 by liquid_embrace
Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:11 pm
And Queensryche! Don't forget them.

#4967 by Vocals & Bass
Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:14 pm
liquid_embrace wrote:And Queensryche! Don't forget them.
Silent Lucidity,Jet City Woman.Yah...

#4968 by liquid_embrace
Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:21 pm
My first experience with them was "Operation: Mindcrime". I had the CD and the video. I remember my friends and I debating endlessly over who killed the nun and what happened to the protagonist.

Moreover we debated on how we could get that signature "aunch" sound that DeGarmo and Wilton had.

Dang, I really want to hear that CD now.

#4970 by Guitarzan6000
Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:17 pm
Y-all are just KIDS!!!! HA HA HA!!!! :D Sorry, but I grew up a bit earlier than y-all... I saw Van Halen as a warmup band opening for the original Black Sabbath (yes with OZZY) Talk about an awesome concert...I am somewhere on the back cover of KISS ALIVE!!!! There are so many great guitarists I saw .... Ted Nugent (over 25 times, and got to go hunting with him twice) Richie Blackmore (in Deep Purple and Rainbow) I partied backstage with the late great Randy California (Spirit) I saw Humble Pie (Steve Marriot, but no Peter Frampton, I'm afraid) The most underrated band in the world: Foghat and the 2nd most underrated Blue Oyster Cult (keep in mind, this was all back in their PRIMES :shock: )(Yeah I'm THAT old) Led Zeppelin, the Stones, ZZ Top, Boston (another warm-up band) Ronnie Montrose, Leslie West, George Thorogood, Guns N Roses, Aerosmith, Queen, Rory Gallagher...(and I saved ALL of the ticket stubs).... I played guitar in a music store with Jeff Baxter and didn't even know it was him until they left when I was 16....I saw George Clinton in another store.. I saw the Clash get BOO'D off the stage in Detroit.....Not to mention the countless hundreds of other concerts and guitarists I've seen. I only say this as to show that there are SO DAMN MANY GREAT GUITAR PLAYERS OUT THERE!!!!! How on EARTH can there be just ONE BEST????? Yet we all have our favorites and thats why we are so damn cool!!!! Live it up!!!!

#4971 by liquid_embrace
Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:11 pm
I wanna hang out with that guy...

#5006 by bryteh20
Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:02 pm
me too liquid.....me too.
#5010 by redstrat
Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:57 am
bryteh20 wrote:There is no correct answer to this question, but what id like to know is-- Who do you think is the greatest guitarist of all time???
eric clapton jimi hendrix jimmy page jeff beck duane allman rory gallagher pete townshend eddie van halen stevie ray vaughan eric johnson brian may leslie west ritchie blackmore peter frampton(humble pie) roy buchannon robin trower keith richards alvin lee tommy iommi steve vai joe satriani ygvwe malsteen peter green dave gilmoure gary moore johnny winter angus young alvin from the chipmunks john fogerty steve cropper ry cooder and anyone who can play check out some good ones at YOURGUITARSPACE.COM

#5021 by Guitarzan6000
Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:55 pm
bryteh20 wrote:me too liquid.....me too.

Awwww...your'e making me blush :oops: But thank you SOOO much!!!! I wish I could hang out with y-all too, I'm thinking it would be a lot of fun, to just sit and talk, and then do some "jamming"....What a BLAST it would be!!!! :D (I "may" be having a big bash this summer, it could happen...)

If you have anything recorded, I'd love to hear it...Our other guitarist is supposed to be getting a digital recorder here soon, so we can start recording some demo stuff, and as soon as that happens I'll post something.

Meanwhile you can check out my "blog" and I'd love to see your comments...(it's not getting many views though, I may have to move it...or maybe it just sucks, I don't know...ha ha ha)

Again, thanks for the kind words, and the cool post(s)......
#5059 by profile119415
Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:48 am
I am looking for those interested in getting a TSO project together.I plan on getting rights to play their Chrismas gig but I wanna see if I can get anyone interested together to do it.I wanna make it big ,play at local schools and where ever you live.

#5066 by Casey of Black Santa
Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:59 pm
Greg Ginn - Black Flag

D. Boon - Minutemen

J Mascis - Dinosaur Jr

Thusrton Moore and Lee Renaldo - Sonic Youth

Toni Iommi - Black Sabbath

Ler Lalonde - Primus

Jimi Hendrix

Ichirou Agata - Melt-Banana

Jonny Ramone - Ramones

if a guitarist is underrated it's because their music sucks! (i.e. White Lion, Queensryche, etc.) or because their music is too different and out of the norm and is'nt considered "cool" to like because the radio doesn't play it and it's not on MTV. these guys alone have influenced more great music than any mainstream, sellout, Top 40 radio hit "rockstar" could ever hope to.

Slash sucks. EVH is overrated. Clapton is overrated (Cream is great though), Zakk Wylde is really f**k overrated, AND LED ZEPLIN WAS NOT THE BEGINING OF HEAVY METAL!

#5140 by bryteh20
Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:30 am
Wow dude... i think its totaly super rude to bash people like you did...but while were bashing... at least slash, EVH, Clapton, Zakk, and Zepplin did more than compose songs with simple power chords such as the ramones and black flag. I mean, did the ramones even know what a guitar solo was?? and just so ya know... Vito Bratta from white lion could blow the pants off anyone on your list and so could chris degarmo from queensryche. Anyone agree with me?? Anyways i didnt start this topic to hear from jerks like you bashing everyones answers, so take your rude, (not to mention incorrect) remarks elsewhere thank you. Dont you guys just freaking hate know-it-alls??