This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Rate your favorite bands and albums.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#37093 by gbheil
Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:33 am
Sorry please educate. Who is Herman Li?

#37122 by Andragon
Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:47 pm
The guitarist from a newer band called Dragonfarts.. I mean Dragonforce (put the dragons to shame :( ). All he does is shred, shred, and shred some more. Music with no soul at all AND EXTREMELY OVERRATED (especially cause he plays Guitar Hero's "hardest" song because of the shredding). It's a sad world, man, sad world.
Oh, and he shreds his parts to "perfection" in the studio. Live, they can't pull off sh*t. Personal experience, don't look at me like that. Luckily, they weren't the only act. And there was some chicks and nice.. puff.

#37133 by AirViking
Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:39 pm
Well if you dont like herman, then ill go with Michael batio.
But dont be mad because he can sweep and you cant.
Regardless to what the studio does (becuase all bands use one)
they are still great guitar players. besides, what is better then shreding on the guitar, its not a bass, they cant slap pop anything.

#37188 by Andragon
Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:09 am
AirViking wrote:Well if you dont like herman, then ill go with Michael batio.
Regardless to what the studio does (because all bands use one)
they are still great guitar players. besides, what is better then shredding on the guitar, its not a bass, they cant slap pop anything.

haha funny. I can only strum a coupla chords and I'm proud of that for the moment. No shredding for me. And you can always pick notes and play "unusual" chords (along with unusual time sigs). 8)
Batio.. oh yes, the man of 4 axes :shock:
He's extreme.

And I still don't believe there's a "Greatest guitar player ever." Failed attempts of convincing me are discouraged.

#37251 by AirViking
Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:46 pm
Andragon wrote:
Regardless to what the studio does (because all bands use one)
they are still great guitar players. besides, what is better then shredding on the guitar, its not a bass, they cant slap pop anything.

haha funny. I can only strum a coupla chords and I'm proud of that for the moment. No shredding for me. And you can always pick notes and play "unusual" chords (along with unusual time sigs). 8)
Batio.. oh yes, the man of 4 axes :shock:
He's extreme.

And I still don't believe there's a "Greatest guitar player ever." Failed attempts of convincing me are discouraged.

As for a "best" it really depends on what style.
Metal and jazz have different progressions. Simple as that.
But i will agree with you on Herman now, i watched a live video, wasnt near album quality. But i was only going off what i heard.
Perhaps this post should be renamed " best guitarist by genre." Because all musicains, big and small bring something to the table.

#37306 by Baby Jimi
Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:41 pm
Jimi.....need I say more? Yes, actually.....Voodoo Child(Slight Return) the man that was hmm like 40 years ahead of his time in the studio and live with songs like Star Spangled Banner,Villanova Junction, Purple Haze, All Along The Watchtower(Dylan), Like A Rolling Stone(Dylan). Lets see, he was in the mainstream like for approx. 4-5yrs max. A man that made history! A man that tripped more acid then all of our friends combined and still was TOP DAWG of the 6-banger no matter what he was on. A man the revolutionized the guitar, the Wah, Fuzz, Leslies, Octavia's....etc....Need I say more??? Yes.....LMB!

#39525 by gtZip
Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:08 pm
Regardless to what the studio does (becuase all bands use one)
they are still great guitar players. besides, what is better then shreding on the guitar, its not a bass, they cant slap pop anything.

Dude... that guy (Batio) is all hype and schtick. Parlor tricks.
He can play guitar excersizes pretty fast, but couldnt lay down a memorable solo to save his life.
And he's not even the fastest 'shredder', Impellitteri is.
Cheesy.

#39727 by metalcoreisgay09
Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:46 am
He's not the "best" technically speaking, but my favorite guitarist is Chuck Schuldiner of Death and Control Denied.

#39784 by gtZip
Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:12 pm
Andragon wrote:The guitarist from a newer band called Dragonfarts.. I mean Dragonforce (put the dragons to shame :( ). All he does is shred, shred, and shred some more. Music with no soul at all AND EXTREMELY OVERRATED (especially cause he plays Guitar Hero's "hardest" song because of the shredding). It's a sad world, man, sad world.
Oh, and he shreds his parts to "perfection" in the studio. Live, they can't pull off sh*t. Personal experience, don't look at me like that. Luckily, they weren't the only act. And there was some chicks and nice.. puff.

Dragonforce??
Hey, I can sit at home (the studio), lay some tracks, and speed that sh*t up on the computer too.
For some reason I have a hard time with it in a live setting though... hmmmm.

I might just try that for fun to see if anyone can even tell. :)

#39788 by Starfish Scott
Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:20 pm
BAWHAHAHAAAAAA

If you can't play it live, don't EVEN consider recording that crap as it's all SPLICE!!!!!!

#48921 by messy j
Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:57 am
the best ive seen live wasTony Macalpine,but Greg Howe really kicks ass.Most of the shredders have bullshit music they play too though.If your groove sucks and you can rip to it it just defeats the purpose.Oh yeah my favorite is Vernon Reid.

#49239 by HowlinJ
Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:40 pm
Mister Rick wrote:The greatest guitarist is some guy or girl who sits at home and jams, alone or maybe with a friend or two, who will never be known and never be credited. And that's the way is should be.

Yeah, Mr.Rick!

and here's the girl! (check her out)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wnjR6MM38k

#49306 by Andragon
Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:50 pm
That was tight. I think I've seen it before.
I like heavy and relatively fast riffs, but relaxed and soulful solos. Check out Kim Thayil to hear what I'm talking bout.