This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Rate your favorite bands and albums.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#49329 by HowlinJ
Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:47 am
[quote="Sentient Paradox"]Hendrix, without doubt, changed music forever. Before Hendrix, everyone played the electric guitar through an amplifier. After Hendrix, everyone realized the amplifier could be considered part of the instrument!

Without the amp though, Hendrix couldn't do what he did, so to me, technically, he was a master of the guitar/amp combo, and nobody did it as well as he did, though some came close.

If you want to talk guitar only though, and take the amp out of the picture, then you have to drop a lot of players out of the running, including Jimmy.
(snip)

S.P.
Great post!
I would like to expound a bit more on Jimi and his influence .

I have been exposed to great guitar playing in the 60's.
In 1967, myself and most all my rockin' buddies were aware of Hendrix.
Personally,however,I didn't regard him as that much better then anybody else currently playing on that level.
I still recall March of 67,seeing Cream live at the R.K.O. in New York. I gotta tell ya, Clapton was crankin' some truly evil sounds out of Pete Towshands Vox Super Beatles! :twisted: (The Who were playing on the same bill, and Jimi had nothin' on them either!)
Also, listen to the tone that Robin Trower produced on the song "A Christmas Camel" from Procol Harum's 67 album. Its seems clear to me that these guys ,and a bunch more, were bouncin' tone, techniques and riffs off of each other, with no particular guitar player nesseccarily dominating. That being said, my opinion of Jimi only grew stronger over the decades. :wink:
#49355 by Segura
Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:16 am
Mark Farner, Alex Lifeson, Jorge Strunz, John Petrucci, Eddie Van Halen and Joe Satriani

#49460 by scottydrock
Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:13 am
If you go by every PBS special I've watched you'd have to say robert johnson since he was so influential with the delta blues sound, particuraly slide guitar.

#49466 by Andragon
Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:39 am
70s rock would've been different without him for sure.

#66288 by EASYLUCKYFREE
Tue May 05, 2009 3:36 pm
J.Mascis(Dinosaur JR) Maybe not the greatest of all time. Maybe the most underrated! Check out album "Where You Been"

#66291 by h65stephanie
Tue May 05, 2009 4:22 pm
i would say that joe pass has to be up there along with chet atkins....they are monster players.
there are just too many variables and opinions to say exactly. if it were speed -satriani or vai, someone like that
technique- knopfler, atkins , reed, zappa, jeff beck, josh homme, fripp
feel- gilmour, hendrix, srv, clapton, baxter, jeff beck, zappa, moore, prince as well, too many to list
badassness- young (gotta admit he wasnt scared to just mix it up), iommi, again too many to list
innovative - hendrix for sure, gilmours work with floyd, youngs influence and fesh look at the electric guitar aka enter grunge and flannel rock, zappa, chuck berry, robert fripp

to end this what is just basically a list of guitarist, i will say my personal "best of all time" is going to be.............zappa. innovative, great technique,killer speed,and a different approach to feel and badassness.

#66332 by gbheil
Tue May 05, 2009 10:59 pm
Whoever the guy was that invented the first one.

#66378 by ted_lord
Wed May 06, 2009 12:39 am
oh crap sans, that's some guy who is lost to history, that we will never know about....<toasts>

#66484 by gbheil
Wed May 06, 2009 5:39 pm
LOL, Doing honor to no one saves on Christmas cards. 8)

#66608 by wrath04
Thu May 07, 2009 9:39 am
The Great Dimebag obviously :)

#66672 by HowlinJ
Fri May 08, 2009 1:32 am
Check this ol boy out.

Maybe not the greatest gitfiddler ever, but he sure-nuf knows how to do a great arrangement job on a timeless tune! Lottsa great players out there who ain't famous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_craLnH-ds

Happiness is a warm slab of rosewood. :wink:

enjoy!
Howlin'

#66727 by NoBloodNoAlibi
Fri May 08, 2009 1:32 pm
Ok these are probably some of the the greatest (IMO) guitarists ranging from genres of metal to classic rock:
Alex Leifson (Rush)
Jimmy Page (Zep, obviously)
Dan Jacobs and Travis Miguel (Atreyu)
Tony Rombola (Godsmack)
Brad Delson (Linkin Park), just like his style, not any of his solos
Willie Adler and Mark Morton (Lamb of God), f**king great guitarists!!
Oli Herbert (All That Remains)
Synester Gates and Zacky Vengeance (Avenged Sevenfold)
Dimebag Darrell Abbott
Gregg Tribbett (Mudvayne and Hellyeah)
Jim Root (Stone Sour and Slipknot, prefer Slipknot work more)
Benjamin Burnley and Aaron Fink (Breaking Benjamin)

I'll reply again when I have more!

#66912 by AirViking
Sun May 10, 2009 12:21 am
pual gilbert Imo is.
I think once you see his videos you'll that that too.

#68016 by Sarina
Wed May 20, 2009 4:32 pm
Skotkills wrote:Dimebag. 8)

DAMN STRAIGHT!!!! :D :) Good choice!!! I salute you!!!