This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Rate your favorite bands and albums.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#117069 by neanderpaul
Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:02 am
"Kiss me with your eyes wide open" The verse vocals are hardcore cheese. The chorus vocals are ok. They sounded autotuned at points. The mp3 compression is severe and adversely affects the overall sound quality. That 2 pinched harmonic point is comical cheese. Obvious strong rhythm musicianship.

Overall it sounds cliched. Nothing sets it apart from the other growler screamers.

#117138 by wherethemistresides
Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:20 pm
Awhhh dude, nooo you don't understand. Nothing there is edited. Only thing edited on my vocals, and lead guitar is a db+ tune up. That is all. And vocal tune up. Cause my vocal amp is rather small. This is a live recording. All the noise in the background is cut and noise suppression is removed. That is all. Our band really sounds like this, live.

#117148 by neanderpaul
Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:12 pm
:roll:

#117218 by philbymon
Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:33 pm
"Kiss Me With Your Eyes Wide Open" - the bridge is way weird. The singing just doesn't seem to mesh well with the screamo, cuz it seems like you're trying to blend too completely diverse styles of music together that really don't mix well. It seems more like a poorly pasted together montage of music rather than a single song. It's played & sung well enough, but I can't help but wonder 'why.'

"Breathless" - once again, I'm trying to force myself not to bash the screamo, cuz it's so overdone these days. At least it doesn't sound so much like it's being forced into a song that should be actually sung, like the last one did at points. I don't find it interesting in the least, though, & I know I'm not the best person to critique this style, but there isn't much there, really. Good drumming.

"Kissing Is For Teenagers" - At the start, I'm hoping for some actual strong melody, but nnnnnnnnoooooooooooo - just more cookie monster stuff. At least it's blessedly short.

Overall, I'd say that this is okay, at best, but way too generic. Very good drumming, & the quick strumming in tandem with the drums is pretty cool, but I want more substance in my music than simple rage...& the rage doesn't even sound all that sincere to me. It's like the screamer is just doing it for no reason. Where's the bass? The tones are pretty middy to my ears. This sounds more like you're TRYING to write modern screamo, but you don't have the background for it, or perhaps your heart really isn't in it. The screamer doesn't make it as a screamer for me, like some others that I've heard, & your strength would seem to be more in the hard, yet melodic area.

If I were you, I'd tone down the screamo, & use it as a background emphasis kinda thing, rather than the main event. Your vocals (the singing ones) are pretty good, but too close to the ones I've heard so many other places. The fast stuff is cool for flash, but I wouldn't make it the driving force behind every piece, like you seem to want to do. If you settled in to some real melody, & cut back on the flashy pseudo-rage, you'd do much better, imho. You shouldn't try too hard to fit in to one flash-in-the-pan, modern approach, either, cuz it'll bite you in the butt once it's passed over by the masses. You really need to work on an more original sound.

#117252 by wherethemistresides
Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:48 pm
:? Well dudeeeeeee. It isn't screamo. It is Breakcore, a sub genre of Deathcore.. Screamo is emo fags!!!!!!! Dx

#117266 by philbymon
Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:17 pm
Okay...Mr Subgenre...my critique still stands...thanks for the education, but the definition is lost on me...all I know is there's a screamer, & he doesn't seem to fit very well...but perhaps it's just a matter of taste, so I'll sit back & wait for a breakcore fan to contribute to the thread.

ARE there any 'breakcore' fans in here?

Please substitute the word "screaming" for all the "screamo's" above...like this:

""Kiss Me With Your Eyes Wide Open" - the bridge is way weird. The singing just doesn't seem to mesh well with the screaming, cuz it seems like you're trying to blend too completely diverse styles of music together that really don't mix well. It seems more like a poorly pasted together montage of music rather than a single song. It's played & sung well enough, but I can't help but wonder 'why.'

""Breathless" - once again, I'm trying to force myself not to bash the screaming, cuz it's so overdone these days. At least it doesn't sound so much like it's being forced into a song that should be actually sung, like the last one did at points. I don't find it interesting in the least, though, & I know I'm not the best person to critique this style, but there isn't much there, really. Good drumming.

""Kissing Is For Teenagers" - At the start, I'm hoping for some actual strong melody, but nnnnnnnnoooooooooooo - just more cookie monster stuff. At least it's blessedly short.

"Overall, I'd say that this is okay, at best, but way too generic. Very good drumming, & the quick strumming in tandem with the drums is pretty cool, but I want more substance in my music than simple rage...& the rage doesn't even sound all that sincere to me. It's like the screamer is just doing it for no reason. Where's the bass? The tones are pretty middy to my ears. This sounds more like you're TRYING to write for modern screaming, but you don't have the background for it, or perhaps your heart really isn't in it. The screamer doesn't make it as a screamer for me, like some others that I've heard, & your strength would seem to be more in the hard, yet melodic area.

"If I were you, I'd tone down the screaming, & use it as a background emphasis kinda thing, rather than the main event. Your vocals (the singing ones) are pretty good, but too close to the ones I've heard so many other places. The fast stuff is cool for flash, but I wouldn't make it the driving force behind every piece, like you seem to want to do. If you settled in to some real melody, & cut back on the flashy pseudo-rage, you'd do much better, imho. You shouldn't try too hard to fit in to one flash-in-the-pan, modern approach, either, cuz it'll bite you in the butt once it's passed over by the masses. You really need to work on an more original sound."

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Oh, & don't call me 'doodie.'

:lol:

* I just love it when a guy asks for opinions & then argues with you for having them cuz he thinks they're wrong! My wife does that sh*t to me all the time!

#117383 by wherethemistresides
Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:36 am
Well dude, i'm the lead vocalist/ screamer/growler... And I run this band. So no, and everyone loves my voice. It is unique. So sorry, this a place for constructive criticism, and to tell me if it's good or not. Ummm yah. Don't troll me?

#117392 by philbymon
Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:58 am
I thought you'd gotten constructive criticism, both from Paul & myself...but I guess in your head it isn't worthy unless we're kissing your ass & telling you how great you are (ain't gonna happen, junior, until you get your sh*t together, both in the studio AND in your social skills).

From the two responses you've gotten thus far, I'd say it's pretty clear that you're wrong - NOT everyone loves your voice. From the fact that no one has come to your little-girlie defense, & told you how wonderfully perfect your music is, I'd say that most ppl are staying away from the thread after hearing you, cuz they don't want to hurt your sensitive widdle feelers.

YOU asked for a critique, you misty-eyed child. (Yes, I think your name is stupid, too!) If all you wanted was kudos, you should have said so.

I thought this was a conversation, but now I see I'm just a troll...oh well...I'll make sure that I'm the bestest troll that I can be...JUST FOR YOU, sweetie-pie. I'll be following you everywhere, in every thread you post, child, so make them worthwhile!

Now quit acting like a spoiled little wench with her very first period. Man up & accept what LOTS of ppl are going to be thinking & saying about you.

Music is not for those with the thinnest of skin, Barbie. Get used to a few of life's harsh realities, the first of which being that there is NOTHING unique about your Dashboard Confessional/Cookie Monster voice. Second, you have the arrangement skills of a drunken gibbon. Third, saying things like "everyone loves my voice" only shows everyone how immature & self-involved you are. Fourth, it shows a lack of breeding to lash out like a spoiled brat when someone doesn't like your product. The enlightened individual takes heed of what is said by those with more experience, & applies self-restraint when he disagrees with his betters. (From what you've shown us thus far, EVERYONE is your better, especially socially!) Fifth, when someone takes the time to listen to your tripe, & critiques it, after you've asked for said critique, the very least you could do would be to show some appreciation, instead of getting all hormonal & combative. Sixth, a musical group is more than one person. It is a group effort, by definition. It is not 'my' band. It is 'ours.' Seventh, & perhaps most important for your personal well-being - anyone who comes across as being as estrogen-laced as you should NEVER call anyone a "fag." He may just get his little girly-ass kicked by someone who takes offense at such epithets.

It's nice that you have all that power & you can run that band. It's just too bad you can't pilot it in a better direction.

It's fairly obvious that in any contest of wit, you are woefully unarmed. If you weren't such a dickhead, I'd feel sorry for you.

#117466 by wherethemistresides
Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:33 am
You're soooo mad bro, you gotta write like 2 pages of sh*t, cause i'm far better than you are. ...... You're such a failure dude. [/b]

#117481 by philbymon
Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:42 am
Next time, don't ask for a critique, just start the thread with "Aren't I great? Positive replies only!"

If your music was a meal, it would be a paper plate full of salt & pepper with a mayonnaise garnish, served with a fine vintage of Boone's Country Kwencher, a spork, & a used Kleenex. Yeah, it's that unique. Yeah, it's that substantive. Yeah, it's that appealing.

This is the funniest part of your profile, next to your music, of course -

"Influences

We are our only influence."

This is pretty humorous, too - "If you would like to sign us. We'd be happy to do music videos, and be a very successful crew."

You might wanna think about upgrading your First Act microphones, & your amps, & your bass, & investing in some classes on music theory, before you talk about wanting to make it big real soon, cuz you're an undeveloped, laughable mess with a thimble-full of talent, who can't even perform in public, until you do. Who could possibly take you seriously?

It's pretty obvious that you haven't been at this very long. Nothing you've said or done has shown us that you are the genius you seem to think you are. Get your sh*t together. Get out of your mommy's basement & get some real stage time. Keep writing & working your ass off, & you might get better. Your band is at the place my 1st band was in when I was 16 years old, & we'd been together for 2 months (the same length of time I'd had my guitar). You're so far from 'ready for the big time' that I can't even describe it to you.

If you had presented yourself more honestly, & more humbly, as a teenager just starting out & looking for pointers, we'd have been a lot nicer to you, especially if you hadn't started arguing about how good this mess is. Little Suzie down the street prolly thinks you guys are the best thing in the neighborhood, but you've presented your stuff to working professional musicians as if you are their equal, & nothing could be farther from the truth. I daresay I have over 35 years of experience on ya, kid...that's professional years of experience, bub.

Now, eat your humble pie, get out to the woodshed & get busy. Expand your experience, your skills, & your musical knowledge, & try try again...

Check out Prevost's posts about playing with the professional recording artists. He'll be o/l with Mystic Bowie tonight, if you want to see a real pro musician at work. The thread on that is over in the General Forum, if you're interested in seeing it. Take note of how the band works behind the front man, & how the front man works the audience, as you watch. You need this info.

Also, look through the threads for JW123's descriptions of how he advertises his band. You may want to use some of his ideas, cuz you need this info.

Check out Shredd's posts of his successes, too. Study what ppl that are making music happen are doing, & how they are doing it.

Good luck. There's a wealth of useful information on this site, if you're willing to see it.

Of course, if you already know everything, as you seem to think you do, please disregard all of the above.

#117549 by wherethemistresides
Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:25 am
Omfg. Dude if we can make the kind of music we do with our equipment that means we're better than you will ever be. So stfu and quit, if you don't like it don't reply. I go on here hoping some days looking for things that would say OHH DUDE WE WOULD LOVE TO SIGN YOU!!!!! Ohhhh you are awesome, great job! Great songs... But it always ends up being your stupid ass, with long ass comments that I'm not even going to read. Because your a fat loser who sits on this forum and replys to 14 year olds music.. Get the f**k out and get a wife and life. Okay? I won't reply to your pointless sh*t anymore. So stfu and go post somewhere else.

#117563 by philbymon
Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:53 am
You're 14? You aren't even supposed to BE here, kiddling. No wonder you aren't mature...you aren't mature!

:lol:

Yeah...stay in your mommy's basement until you age a little more.

You ain't gonna get signed acting like this.

You ain't gonna get signed without some major stage time.

You ain't gonna get any stage time with equipment like that, no matter how cool you think it sounds.

But that's okay, cuz you need some major maturity before you're ready for the big time, anyway.

So mow some yards this summer, & save up for that PA, & those mics, & a bass, & mic stands, & guitar amps, &...well...maybe you'll be ready in a cpl more summers...LOL

I may be old, but I know a helluva lot more than you do...hell, I think I knew a helluva lot more when I was ten or twelve. Go tell your mother she wants you...

#117600 by wherethemistresides
Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:01 am
You think you're any more mature? You're bashing on kids on the internet.. Congrats.... :roll:

And, plus we have plenty of shows. Gigs all kinds of sh*t.

I think you're just angry at the fact that you suck. Mkay?

And dude, my mom is dead. I should kill your f**k sorry ass.