This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Rate your favorite bands and albums.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#107851 by poshdude89
Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:02 am
Alright guys, so I have this album called "Nothing Sweeter (2010)" and have selected the most affable (and easy for my sing live) songs, but at this time I was wondering how people feel about one man shows. I mean, if I call my representative and him put me on in a club (usually I have a band hammering behind me); how do people take one man shows (as I haven't seen one since 1985 (on youtube)?
That being the instrumental blares from the sound system and I sing along to my own backing vocals?
I appreciate the feedback.
-HAIQEEM

#107852 by philbymon
Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:08 am
Are you singing over recordings? That's called karaoke around here, & musicians don't usually like it. Audiences are mixed on it, too.

If you're playing your instrument & singing at the same time, solo gigs go over great, if you're good, out here. I do that occasionally, & have for many many years.

The use of vocal harmonizers can be okay, if it isn't overdone.

#108043 by poshdude89
Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:54 am
okay, thanks for the feedback, I'll play guitar with my recording.

#108078 by philbymon
Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:14 pm
There's a guy out here that does that, pd. Ppl tell me that even with the live guitar, it comes off kinda sterile.

Personally, I think it's his overuse of his tracks.

I'd do something like what you're describing, but I'd use it on one song in three, maybe, & keep the majority of the show more simple & live. The biggest reason I say that is because of how your audience will respond to that "karaoke factor."

Plus, you truly do have more energy when you're performing live than when you're following a prerecorded track,no matter how good that track may be. Your audience will always be able to pick up on that subtle yet oh so defining difference.

There's a rather popular duo that I used to go see, who used drum machines, prerecorded tracks, & vocal harmonizers to thier advantage without the detrimental affects that can be associated with these things. Thier secret was to keep everything as live as possible, while somehow keeping that fuller sound that you're seeking. Yeah, they had a cpl songs that were predone all the way through, but for the most part, thier act was based on keys, sequencer/looper, drum machine & guitar, with the harmonizer used sparingly.

Another approach that works well, but can be tough to pull off without the right material, is totally looping. Look up Neanderpaul's stuff to see what I'm talking about. He's all over youtube, & a member here as well. I've seen him live, & he's a logistics wizard! The only problem I've noticed with his very pro show is that the "live" instruments come off too loud, but once they're looped, everything falls into place perfectly. His vox are always dead on, too. Sounds like a whole band.

Check this out -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5IAQVPGKTs

I dunno if any of this info has helped, pd. Best of luck with whatever you do. It's tough going it alone when you have so much sound inside yourself! I've been dealing with that for about 40 years.

Btw, Paul is a really great guy. Contact him through BM if you wanna know what he's using & such. He''l be able to help on any of that, & he's just so personable & cool that he wouldn't close you out in the name of competition, either.

#108196 by poshdude89
Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:41 am
He is indeed talented; I'll hire a band again this time and have them learn the songs and work on refining my talents as a musician to be able to utilize instrumental like that.