This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Rate your favorite bands and albums.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#93769 by Ryan_Strain
Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:20 pm
What? So you think the majority of "guitarists" on MTV are geniuses with unique styles and material?

#93774 by Starfish Scott
Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:24 pm
Ah sorry, RYAN, I BLIPPED there for a sec..

I was in this delirium and I was convinced you liked John Mayer.

And then I woke up..lol

That SMACK was for me.. again sorry.. lol I dunno what I was thinking..

#93783 by Chris2203
Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:40 pm
I normally don't like to do the "who sucks" kind of thing because what sucks is relative to the listener.
I will say who I was very disappointed in after all the hype and pushing from the guitar mags back when he came into exposure and that is Vernon Reid.

#93788 by HowlinJ
Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:31 pm
Back in "new wave days" I seen Chris Spedding and I didn't think that he played any better then the guitar players that I played with in the 60's! (I wouldn't say he was a "bad" guitarist, however just a bit overrated.)

Howlin'

#93793 by neanderpaul
Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:49 am
John Mayer's talent is matched only by his ego. He really can play. He has many good songs too. I've been saying this since the early 90's. Disliking a band because of their radio/mtv/commercial success is EXACTLY as cheesy and musically clueless as liking a band because of their radio/mtv/commercial success.

#93795 by gbheil
Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:48 am
Yo Chris2203
Long time no see man.

#93803 by Ryan_Strain
Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:43 am
neanderpaul wrote:John Mayer's talent is matched only by his ego. He really can play. He has many good songs too. I've been saying this since the early 90's. Disliking a band because of their radio/mtv/commercial success is EXACTLY as cheesy and musically clueless as liking a band because of their radio/mtv/commercial success.

I really don't think he's THAT talented...To me, he just sounds like the guy at the party who sits in the corner with his acoustic guitar singing crappy songs he wrote when he was depressed cause his girlfriend left him

#93811 by gtZip
Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:25 am
Ryan_Strain wrote:
neanderpaul wrote:John Mayer's talent is matched only by his ego. He really can play. He has many good songs too. I've been saying this since the early 90's. Disliking a band because of their radio/mtv/commercial success is EXACTLY as cheesy and musically clueless as liking a band because of their radio/mtv/commercial success.

I really don't think he's THAT talented...To me, he just sounds like the guy at the party who sits in the corner with his acoustic guitar singing crappy songs he wrote when he was depressed cause his girlfriend left him

Exactly the way I feel, Ryan.
I think Mayer is a primo example of a corporate 'product' thats been made 'safe' enough, rapped up properly in a pretty pacxkage, and rammed down everyones throats.
Theres no essence there for me.
He plays well enough, but theres just nothing there. He might as well be a muzak artist.

#93812 by RGMixProject
Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:50 am

Well, not really :D

#93820 by Chris2203
Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:10 pm
sanshouheil wrote:Yo Chris2203
Long time no see man.

LOL - I've been transdimensional plane shifting.

#93825 by Starfish Scott
Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:28 pm
I just never liked John Mayer's voice.

He sounds like some poppy dung eater. (imo)

He also reminds me of Dave Mathews, (ooh my poor stomach).

THAT music just doesn't sound good to me.

#93898 by fisherman bob
Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:59 am
I listen with an open mind to everybody and John Mayer and Dave Matthews leave me completely flat, I can't see what the hype is about either one...

#93977 by gbheil
Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:32 pm
"HYPE" is the operative word there Bob.
If the mass media outlets said cat poop smelled sexier than roses 7/10ths of the American population would have shyt behind their ears by next Chrsitmas.

#94989 by bundydude
Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:18 am
It's really nothing more then personal preference. While not a fan of Mayer, I think he's pretty good. The U2 guy (?) plays some cool chords, here and there, and I didn't mind his effects, too much. But, Dave Matthews, to me, is incredible. The man's chords are awesome, not to mention, alternate tunings.

I seen a guy quite a few years ago, who toured with Dio, his name is Traci G. The dude truely blew, couldn't play any of the former guitarists solo's and his interpretation of them was awful. Not sure if he played on any Dio releases, I don't think so. Not sure what Dio was thinking, must have had his back to the wall and needed someone in a hurry, because his other guitar players were really good.

#95112 by Robert_Hatfield
Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:49 pm
sanshouheil wrote:"HYPE" is the operative word there Bob.
If the mass media outlets said cat poop smelled sexier than roses 7/10ths of the American population would have shyt behind their ears by next Chrsitmas.

Precisely. It's the same reason the Eagles are so huge, and Jimmy Buffet's been able to build a merchandising empire.

Not to mention 99.9% of modern/contemporary "country" music.