This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Rate your favorite bands and albums.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#84774 by HowlinJ
Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:20 pm
bundydude wrote:
HowlinJ wrote:
So, I guess, if we really wanted to stretch the bounds, then there are tons of bands we could add.

From Ike Turner's "Rocket 88" to Tesseract,
it's all Rock and Roll to me! (and the beat goes on, thank God) :wink:

Howlin'

#85374 by Andragon
Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:44 am
"Grand Funk Railroad "
Howlin's got it.

#85771 by bundydude
Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:19 am
Cactus...Mountain....

#88015 by lekhana
Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:41 am
I still dust off my scratchy, but cherished ol Vincebus Eruptum vinyl platter from time to time, and it's still a rush to listen to!(at full volume, of course.

Egypt Holiday Deals
moto gp tickets

#88048 by philbymon
Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:26 pm
Vincebus Eruptum is for lil girly girls! I much prefer the massive power of "Music To Embalm By," by the Egyptian Mummification Society. That sh*t could pull your brains right out of your nose holes!

The Loofah Thong
Brazilian Beeswaxers, Inc.

#102923 by Cretindilettante
Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:11 pm
Burzum. Varg single handedly introduced the usage of Dark Ambient instrumentals, and other atmospheric elements to Black Metal.

#103343 by GhstDog97
Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:12 pm
ColorsFade wrote:
RGMixProject wrote:I always thought that King Crimson, with their power-cord based technical distorted music was the grandfathers of the fathers "Deep Purple and Black Sabbath" for Heavy metal. IMO

I've read so many people over the years referencing King Crimson as influences, especially in prog circles.

They've got a wide influence.

I just can't figure out why.

I don't get the wide influence of Crimson either. It seems to me that they are way under the radar, but people cite them as influences to almost everything. I haven't heard nearly the depth and bredth of the band, but it's almost impossible to imagine someone like Fripp being counted as having any influence on metal. The guy plays on a stool or chair and considers his erect posture an important part of his style.

Doesn't look very metal. I don't doubt that he can drop power chords. He can play anything. I'm just not sure any certified metal players would cite him as an influence.

#103350 by jimmydanger
Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:16 pm
The thing about Crimson is you can't pigeon hole them. They play heavy, ambient, prog, art rock with elements of classical and jazz thrown in for good measure. They're rock music for the thinking man. If you aren't familiar with most of their music you're missing a lot.

#103353 by Cretindilettante
Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:08 pm
jimmydanger wrote:The thing about Crimson is you can't pigeon hole them. They play heavy, ambient, prog, art rock with elements of classical and jazz thrown in for good measure. They're rock music for the thinking man. If you aren't familiar with most of their music you're missing a lot.

Agreed. If you doubt their influence in heavy metal, then look no further than Shining's newest release, "Black Jazz". It's Black metal mixed with Jazz, and some elements of Industrial. They've got a cover of 21st Century Schizoid man that's pretty nicely done.

#103354 by jimmydanger
Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:09 pm
Cool, have to check that out. I know Porcupine Tree are heavily influenced by the Crims too.

#109944 by MartyP68
Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:24 pm
To me Blue Cheer was about volume as in SHEER AMOUNTS but still very cool.

Sabbath was about the sound and the image as in lyrically because let's face it who else was singing about stuff like satan, war pigs,electric funerals and things like that back then???? So to me Sabbath was really the 1st to put those 2 things together and are on top of the list.

Purple was more of a hard rocking band, same with Zeppelin but they changed their sound just about every album and didn't care what critics thought.