This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#6687 by Irminsul
Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:45 pm
I use CoolEdit to do things like radio spots (I make part of my living in media creation) but I think it's sub par for doing serious music work. For that I go back to Cubase.

#6696 by mistermikev
Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:17 pm
totally agree. never use it to track, but the filters... scientific filters... can't be beat. I also use it for cutting up samples... it's got a nice function for finding zero crossings throughout a piece. Def not the thing to use for multitracking tho.

#6716 by Jacquee Rae
Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:33 pm
Wow, sounds like you guys have a lot of software that you use for different things!! Is there anything that does everything?
I am gonna keep trucking. Eventually, I hope to have enough knowledge to share with other people too.

#6768 by Irminsul
Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:24 pm
Jacquee Rae wrote:Wow, sounds like you guys have a lot of software that you use for different things!! Is there anything that does everything?
I am gonna keep trucking. Eventually, I hope to have enough knowledge to share with other people too.

A one stop solution for everthing? Not that I've found. But that's a good thing, because it means certain software developers have concentrated on a given area, which means their products will be better. Silver Bullet solutions always make me wary.

#6772 by Jacquee Rae
Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:10 pm
Yeah, that makes sense Irminsul.

#6931 by Jacquee Rae
Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:43 pm
Thanks Irminsul and MMV for all your help!
I finally found the triangles that you were speaking of Irminsul, I am so excited and I was able to record with music coming in on a separate track. I am so proud of me! Can you tell?! LOL!
Just wanted to say thanks!!

#7242 by Jacquee Rae
Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:29 am
Hey Guys,

It is your favorite PITA on here. LOL :oops:

I can not seem to record using Cubase two separate tracks. What am I doing wrong? I set up the record in the mixer, but when I send the MP3 over it has music and vocals together, not separate. Can you speculate if it is happening when I doing the export Irminsul or am I just recording incorrectly somehow?

Thank you again for reading.

#7245 by Irminsul
Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:37 am
I'm not sure what your recording set up is like, but you have to make your "in" is set properly on the given track. On the left side of your tracks you'll see a setting for IN and OUT . Each channel has them.

If you are trying to do seperate mixdowns of your voice and the backing music, you can always mute the one you don't want to come through - its the M button that is yellow when it's active, I think.

#7275 by Jacquee Rae
Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:24 am
I've got the IN line 1 part set. Good on that.

I don't know.

I add a track from file and put MP3 in just music and then sing to it on a 2nd track, only recording on the 2nd track, but when I try to convert to wav using the audio mixdown instructions that you shared with me earlier in this thread and try to open with cool edit pro, it opens as one track. The vocals are not separate. I am trying to send vocals to someone else to add effects, etc.

Can you figure out what I am screwing up by that giant run on sentence?!

Thanks again for all your help. I don't think I can express my gratitude for all the help that I have gotten on this forum!!

#7281 by Irminsul
Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:17 am
Ohhhh I think I see what you are saying. Audio Mixdown always mixes it all down to one track, (mono or stereo), Jaque. If you want to mix only certain tracks down to one, you have to select those and of course mute the others. Perhaps you were thinking that the mixdown feature preserves the multitrack structure?

#7291 by Jacquee Rae
Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:20 pm
Yes, Irminsul that is what I was thinking. Obviously I was dead wrong. LOL!
After I posted the last comment, I reread what you had wrote and was successful at hitting the solo button (which automatically mutes the other track- I know you know this but just in case someone else is reading hahaha) and Voila! I was all set. :)

Like I said before. I am incredibly grateful for all your help!

#7307 by Irminsul
Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:54 pm
Hey I'd rather try to save people some steps after my own learning curve experience, than see them tear their hair out replicating it :)