This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#63816 by Starfish Scott
Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:28 pm
We played a sorority last Halloween and at the break, this ass hat falls down and knocked the crap out of one of the drum heads.

So we pick him up and he gets all mouthy, as he's drooling a mile a minute.

I ended up chucking up out of an open window on the 1st floor. He laid there for about 5 minutes and the next time we checked, "POOF the drunk was gone." LOL

#63828 by jw123
Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:29 pm
This is a funny post. Every musician on here sounds like they are Billy Bad Ass, Ive been playing for years and Ive only once seen a musician stand up for himself and fight someone in a bar. And that dude wound up getting his ass kicked. Im sure a few of you can back up what they say, but most musicians arent brawlers and never will be.

You guys need to realize that unless you are a house band you are a visitor on some one elses turf. You start swinging fist or drums at patrons, you may have the whole place after you before its over.

Next time you play somewhere hit up on a couple of the local chicks and see what happens.

The other side of this is if you really start something or try to finish something in a physical manner, when you play again you are a sitting duck.

My advice is to chalk it up for experience and pick your fights carefully.

Years ago some of our following where bar room brawlers. I always kinda thought it was cool to stand back and watch until the club owners started banning us.

#63855 by ratsass
Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:46 pm
It ain't just drunks, but dumbasses in general. We played a gig with several other bands and later in the night they were going to have a wet t-shirt contest. I looked up and saw that they were about to start, ON THE STAGE!! I ran up there and flipped the monitors facedown and told them they probably ought to do it on the dance floor away from the electrical equipment. They said it didn't have enough light so I aimed a couple of the stage lights down at them and it was fine. It wasn't even my equipment. The band who owned the equipment had been outside and didn't even know what was going on until someone told them. They came in and thanked me profusely. I'd have done it for anyone though. Can't stand to see good equipment messed up over stupidity.

#63861 by Chippy
Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:30 pm
Having not played a gig for some time and having thought about this some I'd like to have some of these troubles if you know what I mean? (No offense).

That will come.

Trouble is anywhere you look in any case.

#63908 by ZXYZ
Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:38 am
we had some "security" people.. :wink:

#63940 by Paleopete
Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:52 pm
Fortunately I've never had to resort to violence in a gig setting, wouldn't want to either. I Have seen a few close calls and some equipment damage due to drunks.

Biker party, Jambalaya festival outside Baton Rouge, our agreement was any equipment damage they pay for. Drunk biker dumped a full pitcher of beer into one of the monitors...Sound guy and I were standing beside the monitor and flipped it over really quick, we had about an hour for it to dry (mid summer) and it seemed OK and worked fine so they didn't have to pay for it.

Few weeks later one of the same bikers' girlfriend was way drunk - always - trying to get us to let her sing. Knowing she was way drunk and definitely NOT a singer I kept telling her no, we don't do sit-ins. Bass player wanted some so he told her she could. I didn't know this. In the middle of Turn the Page she decided to hop onstage, grabbed my mic and knocked it down. I caught it, told her to get offstage and carried on.

Next summer, Jambalaya festival again, same biker group hired another band and hired sound man and I to run sound. Same drunk girlfriend was twirling around and knocked a 5' tall Peavey column speaker over on top of two Harleys...almost knocked one of them down...we both had the presence of mind to ignore her and just pick up the speaker. The bike owners made sure she stayed well away from the bikes...

Yet another bar gig the same drunk girl was dancing, twirling around with arms stretched out, knocked my mic stand over onstage, this time it hit the floor. It still has a dent in the wire screen from that one but works...

The same mic has been knocked over a few other times, pedals stepped on, beer dumped on everything I can think of, including me, amps knocked over...

I never even think about getting violent, much as I would like to sometimes, first I hate to fight, second I don't want the reputation that could initiate. I usually try to keep my cool and if necessary talk to the club owner and get the drunk removed.

At the biker parties we always had a strict agreement that any damaged equipment THEY would pay for. You may think Yeah right, but one thing about biker groups you can depend on, their word is definitely good, and they will keep their promises. They are very proud of that fact. So once they shake hands and say "You got it", we didn't worry about it.

#63945 by jw123
Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:28 pm
Heres my security man.

#63947 by philbymon
Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:38 pm
Most common prob I have is ppl coming up to the band when there isn't a stage, & tripping over the monitors as they make requests. I've caught more than a few as they were falling. Yeah, most of 'em are drunk, too, & slosh their drinks all over ya & your pedals & the monitors. Just part of the never-ending fun of playing, ain't it?

And ppl say that this isn't work!

#63950 by pusMonkey
Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:47 pm
Here's a question:
If a fight breaks, does the band keep playing? (so long as no one's equipment is involved)

The band I use to play in would if it got out of hand.

#63952 by ratsass
Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:54 pm
I think every band should learn "Eye of the Tiger" (theme from Rocky) and be able to go right into it whenever a fight breaks out. :)

#63955 by philbymon
Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:01 pm
...or Elton John's "Saturday Night's Alright (for Fighting)"...or Dylan's "Hurricane"...or jimmy Dean's "Big Bad John"...or Jim Croce's "You Don't Mess Around With Jim" (or whatever it's called)...

#63957 by ratsass
Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:04 pm
Just as long as it's not Beastie Boys' "Fight for the Right to Party". That would make the rednecks think it's OK.

#63967 by Starfish Scott
Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:02 pm
Hey if you wanna sit back and wait to get socked, that's your own choice.

The tune to play FYI is "Roadhouse Blues". That makes em fight harder..LOL (bar owner won't like it, but the rest of the place will love it)

And for the record, you don't wade out into the middle of the dance floor.
No, you stay with your back to the band members and finish the tune. (play first, fight later)

After you're done, that's the time to invite ole f**k face outside so you can kick him in the teeth or lack thereof.

And after paying court costs and a hefty bill to replace anything I broke, I can honestly say that fighting INSIDE the bar is not my cup of tea.

Besides when the other guy looks up with dirt/rocks/busted teeth in his mouth, it makes it all worthwhile.

Don't talk sh*t unless you think it's ok to get wiped up.. If people could reach you via the internet, ya'd wise up with what you say pretty quick, I'd wager.

I never had any clueless asshole dump anything on any equipment, but if I did I'd be packed up and out of there before you could say "podunk princess". I don't care if it was the Borgatta or the Core States Center.

Nothing f**k worse than a sloppy drunk, except maybe some pu**y who takes sh*t from people he never met that are too drunk to behave like a human being(s).

If the place has a bouncer, USE HIM!

#63974 by J-HALEY
Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:28 pm
In 1999 I was playing in a band with a drummer that was a selfish arsewhole I went up to talk about a problem we were having with him and out of nowhere he halls off and punches me right in the kisser. Well what would you do? I punched him back in his kisser and the fight was on the band members up on stage dukeing it out, his brother came over and broke it up. I haven't seen him since. Problem is he was my best friend or so I thought. It hurt my feelings worst than anything that he would just diguard a lifelong friendship like that. We were just spending to much time together (we worked together and played in the band together) we were like brothers. I think a little to much Tequila was involved, the funny thing is his brother later told me we both had matching scabs on our lips :lol: