This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#2763 by FlyMolo
Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:28 pm
Probably not. I'm very intelligent and have very little ability! :lol:

#2765 by RhythmMan
Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:08 pm
Hey, FlyMolo - good answer. :)

#2768 by chachaangelina
Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:18 pm
Yes, there are many articles on the net about the link between general intelligence and musical ability.

Here's one:
http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/Dummies ... -MATH.html

I guess one of the reasons I like this site so far is because it's a place where intelligent, creative people can have intelligent conversations about every topic under the sun.

ChaChaAngelina

#2769 by Irminsul
Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:58 pm
Yes and no. There are different sorts of "intelligences" and I think musical ability is probably only tied to some of them - for instance, perhaps to emotional intelligence.

On the other hand, I read a paper recently that said, strangely enough, that musical ability is an indicator of (are you ready for this) apptitude in MATHEMATICS. I laughed out loud over that because I sucked at math all the way through school. Was remedial all the way.

#2773 by chachaangelina
Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:13 pm
Yes, I was just reading an article about math and musical abillity.
I have tutored many high school teens in math/algebra/geometry since I was a math major in high school in advanced college prep classes.

I found out that most of the kids I've tutored have caught on to math concepts quite easily once they put aside their fears. I would work on affirmations with them and then explain to them that the beauty of math is that it is quite predictable--the answer is always the same and never deviates.
So, I would guess from the little I know about you that you ARE good at math--just developed a "block" to it. Also, the scales, etc., are very mathematical.

There's even supposed to be a mathematical equation to prove the existence of God. What do you think of that?

I believe I am more logical than emotional and so when I taught myself to play the steel drum, it was difficult at first because the notes are not linear like on the keyboard. C is not next to D; D is not located next to E. Instead, on the steel drum, to play C, E, G, is more like a triangle shape. Boy, my brain did not want to go there at first! Then I realized that the chords are patterns, shapes (which, again, is mathematical), and after memorizing the patterns, playing the steel drum became easier.

So nice to hear from you!!!!!!!!!!!!
(I just took one of those internet I.Q. tests and came out "127." I guess that's better than average but not high enough for Mensa, but some of those people are plain old weird, anyway. Ever been to a Mensa meeting?)

But speaking of "intelligence," I don't know if I told you this, I'm also an online college professor right now teaching general psychology. Last semester I was teaching English composition for another online university. I QUIT that gig because the writing was SOOOOOO atrocious, I was rewriting every sentence of every paper for people who didn't even realize how ignorant they are and then getting pissed off when they received low grades. "Enough of this!" I said, and it's not like me to be a quitter at anything.

I mean, you would absolutely SHOCKED at the papers I was supposed to grade--people with less than a second grade writing level who were supposed to be writing a "persuasive" essay. It was ridiculous!

#2776 by Guest
Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:39 pm
:roll:

:x .............:shock:.....................:?............ :lol:

#2778 by chachaangelina
Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:49 pm
You're right! I Googled that quote! It really IS from Mark Twain!

When you want genuine music - music that will come right home to you like a bad quarter, suffuse your system like strychnine whiskey, go right through you like Brandreth's pills, ramify your whole constitution like the measles, and break out on your hide like the pinfeather pimples on a picked goose - when you want all this, just smash your piano, and invoke the glory-beaming banjo!
- Mark Twain, "Enthusiastic Eloquence," in the San Francisco Dramatic Chronicle, June 23, 1865.

And here I thought that smashing instruments is a modern day phenomenom!

Recently at the jail visiting the boyfriend from hell, I met a good looking guy in the lobby and I went up to him and said, "You're a musician, aren't you?" "Yes," surprised, he replied. "How did you know?" "Takes one to know one. What are you doing here at the Alachua County Jail?" Well, it turns out he's in a touring band based out of Orlando. He routinely throws a guitar into the audience and the Alachua County Sheriffs Department charged him with Assault with a Deadly Weapon when it hit and hurt some kid in the audience. "I thought you're SUPPOSED to throw guitars," he said. He was quite shook up and someone had just paid big bucks to bail him out, awaiting his trial.

#2781 by Guest
Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:36 pm
Yep, i went to a concert acouple of years ago(forgot who was playing) but the bass player was goin nuts on stage swinging and jumpin around. It was a fairly small place and he ended up smashing some guys face with his bass, blood everwhere! Nothing happend to the bass player though, unlike that other guy you spoke of.

#2784 by chachaangelina
Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:14 pm
I wonder if Mark Twain actually ever did smash a piano? I doubt it, but I think I'll Google the question. You've got me curious!

I actually think that it's "sinful" to destroy a perfectly good musical instrument. Maybe throw a worthless guitar with a warped neck.

I recently was in Ohio sorting out about $30,000.00 worth of props and costumes, etc., from a show I produced a couple a years ago. There, under the steps of the door to the warehouse, was a big, black garbage bag. It didn't look like it contained trash, so I peeked inside. Lo, and behold! (and I'm not making this up!)--inside the bag were parts to four our five accordions! Yes! I kept the bag! Who would throw away a bag full of accordions? (I play accordion.)

#2786 by Irminsul
Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:08 am
Reminds me of the old joke...

Welcome to Heaven, here's your harp....

Welcome to Hell, hee's your banjo.....

(Please don't flame me! I didn't write it!)

#2789 by chachaangelina
Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:28 am
Well, as an accordion player, there's always plenty of jokes.

Definition of an optimist: An accordion player with a pager.

BTW--I just bought an electric accordion! I am SO EXCITED about this!!!

P.S.--What's your favorite polka? Can you dance the polka?????

#2794 by Irminsul
Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:05 am
chachaangelina wrote:
P.S.--What's your favorite polka? Can you dance the polka?????

This is one of my favorite topics because my wife is Polish (born and raised in Warsaw) and she educated me on the whole "polka" thing. She says what Americans normally call a "Polka" is actually Austrian Oom-Pa music LOL. She played me some real Polkas and man, they weren't like what people do when they "Roll out the barrellllll...." Polish folk music is so amazing, I'm really into it. Especially the music of the Polish Highlanders, the "Guralski". Beautiful, stirring and fun. It runs the gamut.

Sometime if you can, get one of the CD's by Warsaw Village Band. These are some very yong Polish folk musicians who are doing the ANCIENT stuff, with a new twist and it is just phenomenal.

#2796 by chachaangelina
Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:59 pm
Interesting! You two sound like a riot!!!!
A few years ago, I visited Poland (Warsaw and Krakow). Being the gregarious person I am, I met many people hanging out in the downtown area of Warsaw, mostly guys, early twenties. And when I asked them, "Where can I go to hear a polka band," they replied, "WHAT IS POLKA?" They had never heard of such a thing! This happened time and time again. The twenty-somethings mostly listen to American music, work at the local KFC, and wear American-made clothing. Finally, an old lady who meets people at the train station in Krakow and rents rooms in her house said, "Oh, yes, polka--you have to go to Chicago if you want to hear this type of music!"

On the ride to Poland (tell your wife this), my girlfriend and I randomly opened our Polish/American dictionary and decided that the first word we come across, we'll memorize. Well, the word was "Koniokrad!" Ask your wife what it means! We even had a chance to use this word on the driver when we went for a horse and buggy ride in the tourist area of Warsaw!
The Polish people are so nice! I had such a nice time!

Have you visited Poland?
How did you meet a Polish girl?

#2801 by Irminsul
Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:18 pm
LOL, oh I already knew that word ("koniokrad") - Horse thief!

You have to be careful about where you use that, she tells me, especially if you are in Guralski territory. Some of them folks still deal with horse thieves with a ROPE.

Anyway I did laugh out loud when you mentioned the old Warszawjanka telling you that you have to go to Chicago to hear a Polka. So true! There is Polish culture and then there is Polish-American culture. Two different animals.

Anyway, we are due for my first trip to Poland next Spring, when I have to meet the mother-in-law for the first time. I've spoken with her over the phone a few times, she's a lovely lady but she speaks almost zero English so I've really had to do the crash course in Po-polsku to make her more comfortable. She is a lady of quite some standing - a high ranking professor of economics at a university in Warsaw. To say I'm nervous is a real understatement.

Patricja and I met on a ski hill here in Utah (I know, cliche) back in Dec. of 2004. I don't know what it is about Polish women...oooo la la. So I married one :) Seriously though, she is my Queen. I can't imagine tying the knot with anyone else and in fact intended not to, before I met her.
We have a great life.