This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#2407 by Hink
Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:35 pm
Dye wrote:I am not offended at all.

I was just really hoping someone would see the posts,

recognize things in them that we might have in common,

and then respond.

If that continues not to happen I will give up on this site.

The high school statement was meant to indicate that I was in

the minority then (back in the 80's) and I seem to be in the

minority here (early goth/punk surrounded by rockers metal heads etc.).

well I hope you noticed I did see we have something in common (besides locale), I'm currently building a 12/11 hammered dulcimer :D

#2409 by Irminsul
Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:09 pm
Seriously, I see where Dye is coming from. Musicians not involved in rock, metal, country or playing-for-Jesus are not made to feel real comfortable here.

But I'm an eternal optimist. Hopefully that will change when this forum gets more participants.

#2413 by Hink
Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:15 am
Irminsul wrote:Seriously, I see where Dye is coming from. Musicians not involved in rock, metal, country or playing-for-Jesus are not made to feel real comfortable here.

But I'm an eternal optimist. Hopefully that will change when this forum gets more participants.

did yah ever stop and think there are musicians that are involved in music and art, and do not feel the need to hang labels on absolutely everything? I'm an artist, music is my medium...not rock, not jazz, not country...the art of music...was that considered...I agree with what you say, but I wonder if you truly believe it. In fact she contradicts what you say 100%, I made a nice post and was met with "I only recognize one of your influences"...then basically a "see yah"...because I didn't have everything in common with her. A nice to meet you would of been nice.

Though it does seem there is a nice friendship between the two of you, which I would see as a good thing. But I hate hypocrisy and this screams it...if anyone is in a minority here it might be me, but because she only sees one name she recognizes suddenly it seems I didn't pay attention to her ad...like I say I did, I found a common ground where one didn't seem to excist...surely recognizing that is better then quasi bitter posts because no one wants to reply to her.

FWIW, back in the early 80s I got out of th service and went to work for the biggest moron I ever met, he never even made it past 7th grade. But he and his brother bought a truck and started a moving company. By the time I started working for them they had 30. Yet this guy still had to have us read things to him...then he said the smartest thing I ever herd in my life...you can learn something from everyone...kinda ironic when you think about it because he proved his own point nicely.

Here I saw someone who seems very frustrated with not getting responses, I extend a hand of friendship and get "that's not what I want go away"...followed up by I have no taste and apparently I'm not smart enough to understand her page...I guess not, I thought it was about reaching out, not discriminating based on her or others opinions, now you say you want more of that here...why don't you take the time to get to know me before you judge me by my influences, have you listened to my music...did you see the song written from a poem that my dad wrote in 1941? Of course not, you just jump to conclusions based on assumptions...and then say you want more of that?
#2418 by Dye
Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:55 am
OK grandpa, I am looking under rocks here.

I'm sorry I don't have time for what I'm not searching for.

I am not quasi bitter, but actually bitter.

I will not bore you with the details.

Love, Dye

#2420 by Hink
Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:29 am
well I'd rather be old than bitter and from where I see it you're doomed to be both, so good luck with that. You have me at a disadvantage though, my music is out there to hear. You choose to not post up any music. But that's your thing, tonite, tomorrow and everyday I will make music, I hope the same for you...good luck in your musical ventures, I do truly hope when you too age you will have gotten as much from music as I have been fortunate to have gotten from my music.... :)

The only true measure of ones talent is not a measure against the talents of others but a measurement of growth as an artist...visit my music page here

#2421 by Dye
Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:51 am
that's funny, I was just putting some files on.

I'm not likely to live to a ripe old age, that's why time is limited.

#2422 by Dye
Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:03 am
P.S.

No photos?

#2423 by Hink
Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:05 am
Dye wrote:that's funny, I was just putting some files on.

I'm not likely to live to a ripe old age, that's why time is limited.

may I ask what your goals are that time is limited? Please don't get me wrong, I'm really not a bad guy...I try to be respectful, friendly and helpful...but I see musicians in two camps...neither is right or wrong, it really depends on the person. The first one is that of an artist, one who puts art first. I'm of that type, in 35 years of playing I never put much pressure on commercial success, I enjoy xpanding my studio and stretching my limits...I like to think outside the box and apply that to my art form.

The other camp is fine, but not my cup of tea...I've dubbed that type of musician 'busicians'...those who seek fame and fortune.

That's why I ask time for what, if you do not feel like answering I understand, but just remember music pays off in many ways, including soothing the soul :)

#2424 by Dye
Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:21 am
Hink said:

I've dubbed that type of musician 'busicians'...those who seek fame

(SO MUCH FOR NOT BEING BIASED)

Hink also said:

I guess not, I thought it was about reaching out, not discriminating based on her or others opinions, now you say you want more of that here...why don't you take the time to get to know me before you judge me by my influences, have you listened to my music...did you see the song written from a poem that my dad wrote in 1941? Of course not, you just jump to conclusions based on assumptions...and then say you want more of that?

There are more than 2 camps of people, if I wanted "fame and fortune"

would I be into interesting and obscure stuff? Indian music for ganesh

sake? Go ahead have the last word you windbag O' wisdom you. Dye

#2426 by Hink
Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:40 am
well I guess you truly do not get it...I said there is nothing wrong with being what I call a busician, in fact I went of my way to make that clear...I will even say that they are needed...so much for being biaed, I am not attacking, I've tried nothing but to reach out...my hand is now unextended, good luck and farewell

#2427 by Hink
Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:43 am
Dye wrote:P.S.

No photos?

my photo comes up all squishy for some reason...I keep trying to remember to fix that...they are on my music page at soundclick

#2430 by Hink
Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:12 am
fixed, picture changed on my site...good or bad? you choose I do believe though I've put on a pound or two I'm not doing too bad for 47

#2550 by Guest
Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:02 pm
Ya know..........I looked in this topic because it said "Shout out to all Acousticlly!" To my supprise it had nothing to do with acoustic music, acoustic playing or acoustic anything. It seems like all you guys do on this forum is find something to bicker about (there are exceptions however) and it's not just the few people on this topic. I hope all of you find what you are looking for, but....you probably won't find it here argueing and snickering over pointless crap. That being said I know I'll probably catch sh*t, but wahtever!

I play the acoustic guitar, acoustic bass, acoustic banjo and the didgeridoo. I have always been curious about the mountain and hammered dulcimer but have never gotten the chance to play one.(i know there different) I love all types of music not just jamband stuff and i don't have to drop acid to get into it either. But since this is an acoustic shout out. my favorites would have to be Elliot Smith, Nick Drake, Montey Montgomery, Dave Mathews, Xavier Rudd, Bob Marley, Bela Flecks bluegrass stuff, Kellar Williams, Colin Hay and Iron & Wine. I'm sure there are others i'm forgeting but thats the jist of it.

#2551 by Guest
Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:58 pm
Bryan,

Mountain dulcimer is rediculously easy to play(at a basic level) and just as easy to build one from a kit for not much over a hundred bucks. If you really like the sound, its a fun, easy project. I've done it myself. Just be sure to get a kit with all the parts and the fret slots already cut for you. Just get a basic teardrop shape rather than the hourglass and its even eaiser to get the sides bent right. Most likely they'll be pre bent anyway. You can glue it all together w/elmers wood glue, hammer the frets in, and rub some tong oil finish on all in a days time, and be playing the sucker in 24 hrs.

Hammered Dulcimer, now thats a differnt ball of wax. Never built or played one, but I've been around them a little. I would imagine would be a little more complicated to build, and would take quite a bit longer to learn to play, unless you happen to be a drummer or vibist and already know a whole bunch of fiddle tunes and melodies.

#2552 by Guest
Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:34 pm
Whit,

Thanks for the info, i'll have to look into one of those kits. I knew i'd forget one: Old and In The Way & Gray - definatly a favorite.

BTW - That Seinfeld pic is hilarious!