This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#2337 by Hink
Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:30 am
I hope I'm cool... :wink: I do my best 8) check my tunes http://www.soundclick.com/eminantdomain

been playin the gi-tar since '71, got the long hair anyhow...I live on the mass/nh border :)
#2346 by Dye
Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:54 pm
I only recognized one of your influences.

The guitarist from that band where the singer was a closeted "queen"

wore lots of leather and died of aids. It's really sad that things transpired

like that, I'm glad my generation and the one following can be more out

and about.

I think my idea of cool (from that era) is more Arthur Lee, Iggy Pop,

Patti Smith, even Lata Mangeshkar.

I was hoping someone would see my ad and get it.

#2855 by pot
Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:45 am
Dye,
Thats a crappy post back to someone trying to be helpful. Poser

#2862 by Auburn Diva
Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:18 pm
Some would argue (& I'm one of them) that the "closeted queen" that you refer to was one of the greatest frontmen to ever grace a stage. Yes, it's good that subsequent generations can be more "out," but the fact that a tremendous talent like that was taken at such a young age by such a terrible disease is still a tragedy.

#2865 by Hink
Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:13 am
Auburn Diva wrote:Some would argue (& I'm one of them) that the "closeted queen" that you refer to was one of the greatest frontmen to ever grace a stage. Yes, it's good that subsequent generations can be more "out," but the fact that a tremendous talent like that was taken at such a young age by such a terrible disease is still a tragedy.

you got that right...I saw them many times and Freddie just held the audience in the palm of his hand and everyone had fun, like a party...not some big ego rock show :D

#2866 by Irminsul
Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:02 am
I think ego is given short shrift....after all, if we had no egos we wouldn't even be playing music (cold hard fact).

I saw Queen twice as a teen - and Freddie was the master. Ego? You goddamned RIGHT...and he was working it like Michelangelo was working a paint brush. And I couldn't get enough of it.

#2867 by Hink
Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:25 am
Irminsul wrote:I think ego is given short shrift....after all, if we had no egos we wouldn't even be playing music (cold hard fact).

I saw Queen twice as a teen - and Freddie was the master. Ego? You goddamned RIGHT...and he was working it like Michelangelo was working a paint brush. And I couldn't get enough of it.

I'm thinking you're mistaking flamboyant for ego...I saw Queen 6 or 7 tours and I didn't feel the ego...I really felt like he was reaching out to me. Other bands like rainbow were different...I felt like I should just be thankful I'm seeing Ritche play....that's ego...Queen was so more warm and inviting. If you think it's still ego I'll go along with it, but I didn't get that vibe :)

#2868 by Dye
Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:35 pm
I stated that his death from aids was a tragedy.

My gay friends that died of aids in the 80 ties were also tragic.

My point was that Freddie didn't need to die denying he was gay or that he had aids, and that I'm glad it's different today.

Also that a lot rock guys that thought they dug queen and judas priest felt differently upon learning of their respective singers sexual orientation.

I'm just glad this is changing.

@ "pot" The word poser in that context is over 25 years old, how long have you been using it?

#2870 by Irminsul
Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:37 pm
Dye wrote:.....
Also that a lot rock guys that thought they dug queen and judas priest felt differently upon learning of their respective singers sexual orientation.

Oh that makes me laugh, because that was EXACTLY the reaction of a couple of friends of mine who are metal-heads. They were batshit crazy about Judas Priest until one of them get the real skinny on Rob Halford and his penchant for bearded, leather clad men. This guy blurt out one day, with a snort of derision, "Can you believe Rob Halford is a FAG?"

I didn't have much to do with them after that, as I don't by habit hang around with bigots. Sheesh....ya think you know someone....

#2885 by Auburn Diva
Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:18 pm
There's a thread on one of the music forums at MySpace in which some idiot states that Freddie Mercury sucks because he's gay. What does sexuality have to do with talent? Both Rob Halford & Freddie Mercury not only had/have excellent voices, but the ability to absolutely mesmerize their audiences. I've never seen either live, but watching a Queen or Judas Priest concert video is like watching a group hypnotism. Ego? Nobody can hold an audience in their palm like that without ego to spare. I learn something every time I watch footage of Freddie Mercury or Rob Halford.

#2889 by Hink
Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:11 pm
I'll concede it to be ego...but I've always seen it as confidence, I associate ego with snobbery which is probably more of my problem....perhaps I should develop some "ego"...I have the confidence in my playing (not my singing though)....maybe if I stop being humble Hink and maybe being more "in your face" Hink I would do something serious...feel free to decide for yourself on my gi-tar playing

http://www.soundclick.com/pro/view/01/d ... tent=music

#2908 by Irminsul
Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:44 pm
I just think that "ego" isn't a very well understood term.

Basically it's your self awareness, and the need to reach and fulfill in accordance with your will. That is not a bad thing. It's what causes people to invent, achieve and progress. Without an ego, we'd still be banging sticks together for fire.

If anyone here is familiar with Tarot, remember the first card in the Major Arcana, The Fool? Well far from being an idiot, he is actually a wise and powerful magician. He is the one who dares, who dances along in his life without looking down to check the terrain because he has a trust in the Universe - a knowledge that even if he were to walk over the edge of a cliff, he'd learn to fly before hitting the bottom. THAT is confidence. Now, if you look down at his heels there is a small white dog nipping at him as he goes along. That little dog is the symbol for the ego. It is all that he wants and aspires to. His sense of self. It is nipping at his heels, always reminding him that it (the ego) is there, but notice this little dog does not dominate or lead him. The Fool leads himself, in accordance to his will, with the knowledge and not the domination by his own ego. If the little dog ran things, he would be so consumed with self importance and "I want I want I want!" that he would self destruct. The Fool in the Tarot shows us an example in this card of a master over ones ego - using it when needed, but not enslaved by it. I get this feeling that the type of person Hink speaks of is one who is ensalved by their ego...something you want to stay a million miles away from.

I can't imagine what music would be like without the ego involved - but at the same time, I bet we've all known or worked with someone who was ego's unwilling victim.