This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

Why did you become a mucisian ?

8%
5%
N/A
68%
20%

#49360 by Black57
Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:19 am
fisherman bob wrote:If you play music and get paid for it then you're a pro. Doesn't matter if it's full time or part time, as long as you get paid for it. Unfortunately it seems lately that making money at music is getting to be more and more difficult. I don't know whether it's this stinking economy or people finding more ways to rip us (musicians) off. Something's got to be done to make conditions better for us hard working musicians, even us part-time pros. Later...

I definitely agree. No one really wants to pay musicians-- but they want musicians. We must all individually appreciate our own worth so that others will appreciate our worth.

#49361 by fisherman bob
Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:04 am
Yeah, APPRECIATE, NOT DEPRECIATE. As in your wallet gets fatter right after you finish performing. Later...

#49441 by J-HALEY
Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:31 am
Hey Bob, I have alway's beileved that in my heart, and trust me if they don't pay me well I don't play. I am completely against playing for no money and a lot of you guy's will do it and you know who you are. I am not hateing.
I know what it is like, you put together a band and you believe in your project, but trust me folks there is a million other bands out there doing the same thing, what seperates you from the pack?
PLEASE LISTEN PEOPLE, the only way the professional pay is going to get better, and this includes 110% of all of you pro or not ( because eventually you will want to be compensated)
First get your act together. What kind of music do you want to play?
I am assuming you want to do the same thing I have alway's wanted,you want to be the best musician you can be and you want to make the best music you can make.

#49467 by scottydrock
Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:44 am
I grew up with music. My great grandma was from kentucky and loved bluegrass and "ole timey" music. My uncles always were always jammn around the house. Got my first guitar when I was 3. My mom worked as a caterer on the monsters of rock, got to meet alot of amazing musicians when i was no more than 10. Hell my little brother started playing when he was 11. Then it took me another thirteen years to even consider picking up a guitar. I guess what eventually drove me to pick it up was when I went to guitar center with a bud to get some new cables and he decided to pick up a bloodstain red sg that was sitting out and just ripped out the solo to "one", I said damn, I wanna do that and I've been on the path since. I didn't know if it was worth forking over thousands of bucks and countless hours practicing, until my three year old daughter told me she wanted to play guitar. It made me smile to think I was passing this on to her. So my natural response was " so you can play like daddy?" Without missing a beat she threw up the devil horns and said "No, silly, like Iron Maiden!" LOL

#49471 by Andragon
Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:00 am
MetallicA solos tend to do that a lot lol

#49473 by scottydrock
Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:14 am
kirk hammett is amazing!

#49492 by thesystemhasfailed
Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:09 pm
Andragon wrote:MetallicA solos tend to do that a lot lol

this off the subject but, their new material up to st anger was kinda weak and after listeneing to death magnetic i think that album was a major rebound from being just a kosher band to being a premier holy sh*t band again.

#49528 by Andragon
Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:56 am
Most definitely.

#49536 by fisherman bob
Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:34 am
Being the best musician you can be may not necessarily result in making a profit in music. If you get too good at it you may end up only pleasing yourself and other technically advanced musicians. The avergae audience doesn't appreciate the "best" musicianship. There's truly a lot of "amateur" musicians who make a helluva lot more money than some of the best musicians. What "sells" may not take musicianship as much as coming up with a product that is directed at what is MARKETABLE. There's a LOT OF MARKETABLE acts out there that have zero redeeming quality in terms of musicianship.

#49537 by Andragon
Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:53 am
...which is why a good musician will not compromise and produce music that pleases themselves and their audience.
On the other hand, I know a buncha musicians who are just happy to see others enjoying their music, regardless of what kinda music.

#49570 by ted_lord
Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:07 pm
my reason to become a musician wasn't really a choice so much as it was an opportunity and my being told me to go for it so I did, but the desire to make work a few hours preparing and taking stuff down and being on stage isn't a bad one is it?

#49573 by Crip2Nite
Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:46 pm
T&A

#49600 by Shapeshifter
Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:14 am
Taxes and Alimony? Needed a side job, huh?

#49602 by Andragon
Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:16 am
Crip2Nite wrote:T&A

Nah, just A for me :D
#50853 by TJS 1
Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:37 pm
First My Dad was a drummer, played in the Army and Big Band. I saw the Beatles in 1964 and said that's what I want to do. My Dad said o.k. and started showing me some stuff. I never had a lesson, always played by ear. I was in a few bands, worked the East Coast, and managed bands. Took a long break to do the family thing, now I want to find musicians who want to write and record.
Tom