This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

Why did you become a mucisian ?

8%
5%
N/A
68%
20%

#52982 by ZXYZ
Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:30 am
Naw, Dude, actually that made me feeel better about my life!! I havent been giggin for 15-20 years (marriage- y'know) Farfisa Compact!!!! AHH- we must be about the same age !!-lol- and 'nam . yeh I barely missed that one by about 6 months - I enlisted instead of getting drafted. I knew the air-force woulnt put me as a pilot cause of my 20/400 vision.. :shock: so I worked on missle silos in ND. It gets cold up there!!

#53020 by Mark Phillips
Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:47 am
Morning Howlin J from across the pond,
I am listening to 'I bin lovin you' as I write... a nice flowin bass rumbling back and forth beneath the stuccato guitar... a great sense of movement and flow, which I find so hard to get in my songs.
A strong clear vocal that doesn't sound too much in love with itself and just says what it's got to say.
Thanks,
Mark...................

#53055 by gtZip
Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:15 pm
Oh, wait a minute... I'm not a musician. Disregard.

#53163 by greatbig47
Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:06 am
I had a choice?

great...NOW I FIND THIS OUT!

#94189 by RhythmMan
Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:42 pm
Has anyone changed their goals in the last year?

#94192 by Chippy
Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:05 pm
Yes I have RM.
I've become a realist which has made things a lot easier for me.

RhythmMan wrote:Has anyone changed their goals in the last year?
#94193 by Mark Phillips
Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:20 pm
And I have tried to become a realist, but it never quite works for me!
Mark..................

#94194 by RhythmMan
Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:24 pm
Ok . . . so - what does that mean, specifically?
My goals have changed a bit; now I'm leaning more towards building up a song library.
#94196 by Mark Phillips
Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:31 pm
Hello Rhythm Man,
I didn't mean to be offhand... my goal is to write a beautiful song, like one of the ballads by Mark Knopfler or ABBA with melody and a real story.
I write a new song every month or so, but they never have a great tune, or a story that really takes you anywhere or tells you anything.
I don't understand what a song library is for?

My other goal is to sell more of my wide-necked guitars made from 7 string guitars, that I sell to people like you with great big stumpy fingers!
Sales were going well but the recession in the UK has killed it for me just lately.

My other goal is to marry my fiancee who is stuck the other side of Europe in Romania in a slavish job she feels tied to by a contract... then have five or six kids to keep my young (5 years) daughter company.

That is pretty much all the goals I have this year!
Mark......................

#94197 by fisherman bob
Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:36 pm
Goals? More gigs and more money in 2010. LOTS of gigs and LOTS of money, even a better goal...Not just music gigs but all kinds of gigs. Way too many days off in 2009. Music goals? Keep practicing, learn some really cool songs, write one new original each month, record a legitimate CD, sell it on the internet and at gigs (remember making MORE money?), improve my bass playing and singing if that's possible at my age, start getting a bigger reputation in the K.C. area, get more radio airplay in K.C. and internet radio play (Jango). Maybe buy some new, lighter equipment, you should see where I have to bring my heavy PA and bass amps at 2:00 in the morning BY MYSELF. Sometimes I wish I played the flute, much easier to haul one of those!

#94199 by Chippy
Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:41 pm
Realism for me takes away boundaries that we make for ourselves in a maner of speaking RM. So long as you know where the perimeter is you can set lines according to and away from it as needs be?

Right now I cannot do that much in respects of what I need in terms of kit etc. But it doesn't stop the creativity at all, in fact it sometimes helps it because I'm not shackled by the next thing that is in the shop window. After all.... If you cannot make do with the simplest things then you'll fall down when it comes to having all of the toys.

Just my personal perspective of course.
Keep well RM/Mark.

#94203 by gbheil
Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:32 pm
Goal one:
More skill at my guitar, in the lead and rhythm aspects.
Goal two:
More equipment so we can pull off outdoor and larger venue gigs without being dependent on someone else for sound.
Goal three:
Studio recordings for at least one CD worth of our originals.
Goal four:
A promotional package including said CD
Goal five:
To personally promote the band to a new venue, Church or civic organization at the rate of one every two weeks.

Those are big steps for a bunch of working stiffs to accomplish in one year.
But we've had some pledges of financial support along the way so ......
Carpi Diem !!

#94206 by HowlinJ
Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:39 pm
HowlinJ wrote:After hearing The Animals' "House Of The Rising Sun" on the radio, I decided that I wanted to play organ like Alen Price.
My mom bough me a Sears Silvertone organ for Christmas (I was 14 at the time). We were poor so I felt compelled to learn to plat it!
I got pretty good at playing keyboard solos, and when the old kids who had a garage band down the street heard me play, they asked me to jam with them, since their organ player was headed for Vietnam.
I got the gig, saved up for a Farfisa Combo Compact organ, and have been playin' (off and on) ever since. :)

I never had a burning desire to sing, but, it turned out that I was the best vocalist in the band, so I ended up a lead singer, after our front man left.

I didn't start composing songs seriously until the early 80's.

Picked up harmonica, sax, recorder, theremin, balalaika, piano, synthesizer, and a little guitar along the way.

Been busy building my new house, day-jobbin' and yackin' on this damn forum a lot lately, so I havent been giggin' in a couple of years. I enjoy hearing about you folks that are out playing, so I'm content for the moment.

Ther ya go! That's about me. (hope I did'nt bore yas too much :wink: )

Howlin'

Ha Ha!
My history hasn't changed much since this post last January!
'cept that I'm a year closer to getting our new house to a point where we can move in.
Then, if I'm still standin', I'll be out giggin!
It's good to know that many Bandmixerinos are getting back in the grove, like Philby,Greenie, Josph, JW Crip and a bunch of folks .
Locally, I recently spoke to a few 'ol rocker pals who are returning to the gig circuit. Some are not getting the income from other sources, and luckily are finding gigs available!
God bless people still willin' to support live entertainment! :D
Gotta go shovel the 'ol truck out for work tomorrow.
If I don't get back at ya's....
HAPPY HOLIDAYS! :wink:
Howlin'