This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#6909 by MattZito
Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:18 pm
As far as Scofield I would say "Still Warm" displays some of what I mean as far as some simularities to Allan. Don't me worng John Scofield has totally his own thing but I thing there might be a little Allan influence creeping in sometimes.

Scott Hendersom too. If you listen to his early recordings Like Jeff Berlins "Champion" or Jean Luc Ponty "Fables or Tribal Tech "Spears or Dr Hee even Chick Corea Electrik Band he shows some serious Holdsworth incluence. Not really much anymore though.

Allan was also a major influence on EVH. UK and Van Halen toured together in 78 I think.

Yeah Joe Pass was great. I also dig Grant Green and Wes Montgomery.

I would say about Allan that he's really created his own musical/guitar genre. Which is pretty rare.

Do you mean the Gems that were like Greenish with hot pink accents? I knew two brothers that had a couple of those.

I wish I still had alot of the guitars I've sold. I used to have a nice Jackson soloist. I bought that in 86 at The Guitar Center in Hollywood.

#6949 by mistermikev
Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:01 pm
i hear ya with drhee... hate that song! my motto (as it relates to this) is just because you can doesn't mean you should! if you haven't allready guessed... not crazy about speed... even less crazy about dissonence(spelling). the scott I like would be rep by stuff like guitar school, dog walk, etc. yeah some of that stuff is technically great, but my computer is technically great and I def don't want to listen to it. ok bad analogy there.
now that I've ripped on yer hero... sorry. I know some consider him a god... I guess he's just not commercially viable enough for me. perhaps you have to dumb/slow it down for me...
love benson, metheny, dimeolas ok. have heard some chick corea and I feel much the sm way.

btw: yeah the jem is the gawdy-as-hell green guy! pink pus, green vine inlay... flowers everywhere! but hey: the paisly strat is one of the most expensive vintage ones you can find(orig) -smell what I'm steppin in?

#6960 by MattZito
Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:36 pm
MrMikeV wrote:i hear ya with drhee... hate that song! my motto (as it relates to this) is just because you can doesn't mean you should! if you haven't allready guessed... not crazy about speed... even less crazy about dissonence(spelling). the scott I like would be rep by stuff like guitar school, dog walk, etc. yeah some of that stuff is technically great, but my computer is technically great and I def don't want to listen to it. ok bad analogy there.
now that I've ripped on yer hero... sorry.

He's not my hero but he was your teacher right? You think Scott Henderson plays like a computer?

Do you even like jazz at all?

Who are your Fav guitarist/composers?

MrMikeV wrote:I know some consider him a god... I guess he's just not commercially viable enough for me. perhaps you have to dumb/slow it down for me...
love benson, metheny, dimeolas ok. have heard some chick corea and I feel much the sm way.

Have you heard Metheny's last two or three cds?

Do you think Pat Metheny, George Benson and Elegant Al all play slow all the time? Pat Metheny, George Benson are great players sometimes Pat reminds a little of Holdsworth too.

You mentioned in a prior post about liking Eric Johnson. He certainly uses speed for effect.

btw - I'm not saying that something or someone is or isn't good because they can or can't play fast.

MrMikeV wrote:btw: yeah the jem is the gawdy-as-hell green guy! pink pus, green vine inlay... flowers everywhere! but hey: the paisly strat is one of the most expensive vintage ones you can find(orig) -smell what I'm steppin in?

You make some blanket statements that I don't get.

"doesn't mean you should! if you haven't allready guessed... not crazy about speed... even less crazy about dissonence(spelling)."

Do you drink coffee with 10 tablespoons of sugar? Do you pour maple syrup on steak?

Cheers,
Matt

#6989 by mistermikev
Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:17 pm
might have been lost in translation there. pink pickups(pink pus - saw that and thought-hmm that could come off weird). that should explain a little.
listened to dr hee last night... wasn't the song i thought it was... although it is still a song that is more 'out there' than I like.
didn't mean hero(AH) in a derogatory sense at all. listened to some gambale and henderson last night too... not for me.
no, no, no... speed it ok. dissonence is ok too... both in small tastes. don't like it when players go outside for the sake of seeing how outside they can get. or play fast for the sake of being fast. love jazz... all blues, dolphins on green street, autumn leaves... the versions i love all have one thing in common... they can be appreciated on a complex AND simple level. I dought the average listener can relate to most guitar-gods... but I show a song like boozer to a 'non-musician' and they are like: who is this guy - great groove. show them 'formula-one' and there like: yea that's nice.(insincere)
finally, note that I mean no offence. this is me wrestling with my own dislike of things... and conviction towards others. I used to hate zappa, till one day someone explained to me why he wrote such stupid lyrics... now I wrather like the guy!
Last edited by mistermikev on Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#6990 by mistermikev
Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:28 pm
ps... how did you know about the coffee?
scott does sound so perfect and obscure that one might get the impression that only a computer could be more exacting. The begingin of dr hee is a good example. such a strange feel. that is great that the guy is so good he can play with a 7/13 feel... but just because you can doesn't mean you should! It's too weird for me. Just my humble opinion. most cannot relate to that kind of thing. I sure can't. but I love the odd time he adds to songs like toredownhouse. again, just me trying to put my finger on what I like and why.

#6997 by AustinTatious
Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:06 pm
Right now my fave guitar I play is my IbanezGAX70. It's so funny, for a "cheapy" ($200) it's an amazing guitar, great tone, great neck, can't find a damn thing wrong with it and it makes playing rock and mellow and metal sound amazing. I've wanted to get new pick-ups just because I'm sure there are better ones than the stock ones, but with how great this tone is I have I'm afraid to switch them out! THis is the only guitar that's made me throw away my opinion of "good music equipment has to be pricey". I also have a Stagg Les Paul ($400) and dont get me wrong, it's a great guitar, but if I have to rip out some awesome grinding riffs at a show, I strap on the IbanezGAX70 :)

*****/***** (aka 5 stars!)

#7004 by LemonTea
Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:02 pm
I love how Fender amps sound sweet. I bet a Gibson guitar and a Fender amp would be a dream, kind of poppy. But my Ibanez bass sounds really good on it, just a little too mild for my taste. Not enough bite.

#7076 by gexclamationpoint
Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:44 pm
MattZito wrote: Do you pour maple syrup on steak?

WHAT IF I DO
#7487 by TJGardner
Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:38 pm
Hi my name is TJ Gardner from Keyser West Virginia, I play instrumental Rock. In the past I have played Ibanez, but I recently two years ago switched to Jackson. Ibanez had crystal clear sound, but I was looking for something with a little more crunch. I have a Jackson Dinky which I use for lead / rhythm. My guitarist Lou uses Fernandes to do rhythm. My bassist Alex uses a Ibanez bass still. We are in the middle of having a drummer at this time, although I have a Peavey drum set, using Zildjian cymbals. I run everything into a Yamaha mixing board, With Crate amplifiers, and Digitech pedals. Finally going in to a Fostex 24 track digital recorder.

#7490 by MattZito
Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:51 pm
LemonTea wrote:I love how Fender amps sound sweet. I bet a Gibson guitar and a Fender amp would be a dream, kind of poppy. But my Ibanez bass sounds really good on it, just a little too mild for my taste. Not enough bite.

I can plug my ES 135 straight into one of my 65 RI Twins and it sounds great. I can get that beautiful Jazz tone that Fenders do so well. Lot's of amps get good cleans but imo there's nothing for cleans that match Fenders.

The only other amps that I think could do as well or better would be Dumbles or Fuchs.

Cheers,
Matt

#7491 by MattZito
Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:04 pm
g! wrote:
MattZito wrote: Do you pour maple syrup on steak?

WHAT IF I DO

I guess the analogy I was making was a poor one.

I was just trying to point out that there's dissonance and consonance. You can't have one without the other. Certain intervals want to resolve.

Tension release.

Cheers,
Matt

#7492 by mistermikev
Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:12 pm
love the fenders dont get me wrong...
but would have to say a gibson, boogie, matchless, orange, or any other hand wired class a tube amp would sound just as nice... the thing about the fenders is that reverb. Ya just don't get that with any old amp. having played on everthing from a tweed champ to a 68 bandmaster to a blues deluxe to a soldano combo to a sivertone... I'll take one of everthing please!

#7494 by MattZito
Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:57 pm
MrMikeV wrote:love the fenders dont get me wrong...
but would have to say a gibson, boogie, matchless, orange, or any other hand wired class a tube amp would sound just as nice... the thing about the fenders is that reverb. Ya just don't get that with any old amp. having played on everthing from a tweed champ to a 68 bandmaster to a blues deluxe to a soldano combo to a sivertone... I'll take one of everthing please!

I've owned a couple Boogies. I used to have a Mark II which I ordered I think in 81. The clean sound did not sound as good as these Fender 65 reissues imo. There's a softness or sponginess with the Fenders that I don't hear with the clean Boogies. The Boogies best thing to me is their distortion.

I also used to use a 290 or 295(dont remember) Simlclass in my rack 15 years ago when I used to drag around a big guitar rig.

I'd like to pickup a Mark IV or 50 Caliber.

I couldn't spaek from personal experence with the gibson, matchless or orange.

Cheers,
Matt

#7497 by mistermikev
Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:05 pm
you know what, now that you mention it... I think your right on. that boogie clean tone is ok, but not quite all that the fenders are... that may have a bit to do with the reverb tho too... boogie reverb blows IMO.
I forget the amp manufacturer's name, but there's a solid state amp that is considered the shiznit by many jazz players... goofed around with one of those for a while...
you'd think the jazz chorus would be up there but those things always felt like a knife to the ear for me. whay too much high... but I could see it with the tone rolled off on a 135 or something sim.
One of these days I'm gonna pick up a early 70 bassman(only one I can afford)... to go with my blue label 15 I have sitting around. then again, you need a house out in the country to get the right sound out of one of those... if ya know what I mean!

#7828 by trev_rags_1100
Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:35 pm
:lol: HEY WHATS HAPPENING EVERYBODY ,MY NAME IS TREVOR ,I'M IN A NEWLY FORMED BAND ,AND WE NEED A VERSITAL GUITAR / BASS PLAYER , THERS A BASS PLAYER THAT ALSO PLAYS GUITAR ,AND A KICK ASS AGGRESSIVE DRUMMER ,AND THEN THERE'S ME ,I'M THE SINGER,WE ARE LOOKING TO PLAY MUSIC FROM KORN TO STATIC - X,TO CREED AND SEETHER .AND MUCH MUCH MORE (WE ARE LOCATED IN AKRON OHIO ,SO IF YOUR INTRESTED E-MAIL ME AT [email protected] OR [email protected] :D