This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#6830 by mistermikev
Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:40 pm
mrmattzito... don't be silly... you have 500k pots... I can tell just looking at you.(jk) but really, 59's are humbuckers no? humbucker would not turn off all the way with a 250k(yeah, made it rhime too!). I know, I know, way too much time on my hands.

#6832 by gexclamationpoint
Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:18 pm
shelbysixstringer wrote:
Vocals & Bass wrote:{BASS} Have a vintage Kramer 4-string, Dont play it much. [Too Heavy] I love my Ibenez 5-string, Active pickups. But I still would like to have an "Alembic".

I know a guy in Pa. that has an Alembic he will probably let you have for 12 grand. It has L.E.D. position markers. :D
i just fell out of my seat

#6840 by Vocals & Bass
Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:45 pm
Had a guy offer 200.00 for the Kramer. He got the add off this forum. I told him that it wasnt the USA, etc. [For the older Kramers to be worth much. They have to have [Made In USA] Good thing to know if you ever run into an older Kramer Guitar. This guy e-mailed me back & said he would give 700.00 & pay shipping. What nerve! I guess theres nothing wrong with trying. If he wouldve made 700.00 offer at first, I would atleast thought about selling it to him.

#6844 by mistermikev
Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:13 pm
you are reminding me of once upon a time...
I worked for a local music store... (LMS from now on).
one day an old beat up ibanez les paul copy came in. it wasn't a lawsuit... you can tell by the headstock... anyway, it had a huge ugly on the front, all the metal was rusted and what once was white paint now was "smokers tooth yellow". We had a rule that no employee could take there employee discount until an item went 60days... so when my boss priced it at $125 I told him I'd take it right now. I had had one of these a long time ago and loved it (for anyone whos played one -they rock -all the paul with none of the price). I used to bring the thing to work to play while I taught gtr lessons and one day a guy saw it on the wall in my studio and flipped out. I told him it wasn't a real lawsuit... and he still offered me $500 cash for it. I didn't want my boss thinkin' I took advantage of him so I offered to split the winnings with him if he let me sell it... he said no way.
Good thing he didn't let me sell...
ten years later and that thing has been refretted 2x... comes off my wall more than anything else, and you can't find em anywhere.
IMO, better than a paul -it is hollowed out so it's lighter... still has the growl(replaced the old microphonic dimarzios in it)... plays way better... 1/16 action. looks like kraaaaaaaaaaap. I LOVE IT!
side note... kramer aluminum neck... don't want to gig with that in winter around here!!!

#6846 by Vocals & Bass
Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:01 pm
The kramer is great for gigs. When you have it straped on, If you let go of the neck. It will do a full 360 on its own :o Well....A nice 45 strait into the floor anyway. :roll: I know! cold weather. Have to let the thing warm up a half hour or so before you play it......Lol.

#6850 by MattZito
Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:28 am
MrMikeV wrote:mrmattzito... don't be silly... you have 500k pots... I can tell just looking at you.(jk) but really, 59's are humbuckers no? humbucker would not turn off all the way with a 250k(yeah, made it rhime too!). I know, I know, way too much time on my hands.

Howdy Mike,

Yes the SD 59 double screw are humbuckers and I do have 250k pots not 500k in those guitars. It warms them up imo. Try it some time.

I know some incredible players that also do this for the same reason.

Check out some of my sounds on my myspace page and you'll see what kind of tones I go for. You might just hate it. heehee.

Cheers,
Matt
btw - When you say turn off I take you mean wide open? I never run my volume or tone pots on my guitars wide open. I backoff for tone.

#6853 by CollectiveAge
Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:28 am
side note... kramer aluminum neck... don't want to gig with that in winter around here!!!

Been there, done that, had one, dumped it. :lol:

Traded it for a Guild S-300 that I don't have anymore either.

#6862 by mistermikev
Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:09 pm
250k on a humbucker? Unless they are going to a final 500k pot they wont ever turn off all the way. I know, I've made the mistake of wiring one in b4. Now I've heard of all the tricks(dummy single coil under the pickgaurd covered in tape, flip switch for a change in capacitor on tone pot, phase pot) and I'm not saying it wouldn't work, but that's def a new one on me. If it works for ya, nock yerself out... it would give a greater contol over a smaller volume.
ps, have a carvin myself... used to visit the store on sunset quite a bit... tom anderson guitars right next door, esp on the other side... gtr center across the street... man it was like heavon.

#6867 by mistermikev
Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:31 pm
oh yea, def roll off the top 10-20% of vol pot... just like eddie on hot for teacher. I actually wired my lp up so that it has one tone, and two vols with a master vol so I can keep the two vols as trim and use the main vol as my volume. Could just put a tiny trim pot inside and adjust it where ya want the top to be. Now ya got me thinkin': dbl throw dbl pull switch choosing between a 500k or 250k pot... might be worth a try some day when I'm bored.
don't know if carvin still uses them, but they used to use these cheap chinese pots that were crap... I swapped all mine out for ernie ball pots... huge diff. takes a while to get em worn in tho... so there loose.
cheers

#6885 by MattZito
Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:29 pm
MrMikeV wrote:250k on a humbucker? Unless they are going to a final 500k pot they wont ever turn off all the way. I know, I've made the mistake of wiring one in b4. Now I've heard of all the tricks(dummy single coil under the pickgaurd covered in tape, flip switch for a change in capacitor on tone pot, phase pot) and I'm not saying it wouldn't work, but that's def a new one on me. If it works for ya, nock yerself out... it would give a greater contol over a smaller volume.
ps, have a carvin myself... used to visit the store on sunset quite a bit... tom anderson guitars right next door, esp on the other side... gtr center across the street... man it was like heavon.

Yeah I've been to that Carvin store. I think there was also a Mesa Boogie store right around there.

Btw - Allan Holdsworth does the 250k pot with humbuckers.

#6886 by mistermikev
Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:59 pm
hmm holdworth... he did a seminar at mit, but he was always one of those guys that was a little too 'far out' there for me, def respect his ability tho... mad skillz. I like the outside players but they gotta remind me where home is once in a while... he just takes it to mars!
figures you like him... don't you play his carvin signiture model? Does it come with the pots like that? cool idea.
yeah, the mesa boogie store is where they have the tom anderson stuff... they also have a store on the rock block there that has all ibanez jems... crazy. Gtr center was my fav tho... so want one of those original musicman wolfgangs, or a thumb bass, or vai's flame guitar, or the gene simmons battle axe, or... now I'm gettin caried away!

#6889 by MattZito
Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:21 pm
MrMikeV wrote:hmm holdworth... he did a seminar at mit, but he was always one of those guys that was a little too 'far out' there for me, def respect his ability tho... mad skillz. I like the outside players but they gotta remind me where home is once in a while... he just takes it to mars!

I love his playing myself. As far as guitarists I like -

Adam Rogers - If you haven't heard this guy. Check him out. INCREDIBLE player.

Scott Henderson
John Scofield
Pat Metheny
Jimmy Haun - A friend and ex Las Vegan and great player/composer. Done quite well in the bizz. Currently playing in the band "Circa" with Billy Sherwood, Alan White and Tony Kaye. All the guitar that you think is Steve Howe on "Yes Union" is Jimmy Haun. "Shock To The System" is an example.

Scott Learner
Robben Ford
Eric Johnson - I opened up for Eric once. Fun gig.

MrMikeV wrote:figures you like him... don't you play his carvin signiture model? Does it come with the pots like that? cool idea.

Yeah I do play his Carvin models. No they come with 500k pots.

MrMikeV wrote:yeah, the mesa boogie store is where they have the tom anderson stuff... they also have a store on the rock block there that has all ibanez jems... crazy. Gtr center was my fav tho... so want one of those original musicman wolfgangs, or a thumb bass, or vai's flame guitar, or the gene simmons battle axe, or... now I'm gettin caried away!

Yeah That is a nice Guitar Center.

My favorite place in the 70's was 48th St near Broadway in NYC. There was a store named on "We Buy Guitars". They had their front window FULL OF PRE CBS STRATS. That's back when you could buy a 64 Strat for 500 to 700. The good old days.

Cheers,
Matt

#6893 by mistermikev
Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:57 pm
yeah I noticed you listed scofield... and i'm like: finally someone else knows who this guy is! gets so behind the beat... makes me feel lazy just thinking about 'boozer'.
love eric johnson. one of my favs. now that is staying 'inside'! you opened for him huh? must be pretty good to open for him!(and not get booed off the stage!)
henderson was a teacher while i was at mi... didn't like him at first... but he grew on me. kitchen sink player but damn good.
have to give a listen to those other guys.
yeah, old strats... cloth wrapped wire... gotta love that.
I know there not worth as much but I love the 3bolts. that exagerated 70's headstock too. I am a child of the 70s so... surprise.
pre cbs would be nice for a collection tho... and retirement nestegg.

#6902 by MattZito
Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:13 pm
MrMikeV wrote:yeah I noticed you listed scofield... and i'm like: finally someone else knows who this guy is! gets so behind the beat... makes me feel lazy just thinking about 'boozer'.

Yeah I love Scofield. What's funny is is he actully to me has alot in
common with AH. At times he even sounds a little similar. I have Uncle that used to play with him.

MrMikeV wrote:love eric johnson. one of my favs. now that is staying 'inside'! you opened for him huh? must be pretty good to open for him!(and not get booed off the stage!)

One of my favs also. I was working with some great players in a band named "Threshold". We were a prog-rock band that also did some select covers like "Heart of the Sunrise" and Magnum Opus. It was I'd say 1991 or 1992. His "Ah Via Music tour". I couldn't believe how young Eric looked. He wrote a really cool inscription in a guitar player mag I brought to the gig. When we showed up at sound check one of the guys in my band said do "Emerald Eyes" and they did it. Too cool. Eric was very cool and even came out and watched us play a few of our tunes.
I loved his rig.

I remember asking him about "Shawn Lane" and he had nothing but admiration for him.

MrMikeV wrote:lhenderson was a teacher while i was at mi... didn't like him at first... but he grew on me. kitchen sink player but damn good.

I've been a fan of Scotts since his Ponty days. I saw him at The Beverly Theater when he was playing with Jeff Berlins band "Vox Humana". Great band. They opened for the Steve Morse Band.

MrMikeV wrote:have to give a listen to those other guys.

I know Adam Rogers has been playing with Brad Meldau. Adam is a more straight ahead jazzer but he takes it to new places. He's a phonomenal player.

MrMikeV wrote:yeah, old strats... cloth wrapped wire... gotta love that.
I know there not worth as much but I love the 3bolts. that exagerated 70's headstock too. I am a child of the 70s so... surprise.
pre cbs would be nice for a collection tho... and retirement nestegg.

Yeah they were known for mistreating strats. I always liked V necks. I wish I would've bought back then. Would be worth many times the original investment.

Cheers,
Matt

#6905 by mistermikev
Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:44 pm
"Yeah I love Scofield. What's funny is is he actully to me has alot in
common with AH. At times he even sounds a little similar. "
-really? I guess I should give him another listen... I listened to his music back when I was at mi(early 90s) and it seemed a lot like gambale... jazz meets speedmetal. May have been what was hip at the time.
Don't get me wrong... I love jazz, but more like joe pass jazz... where you always get the exact chord he's on... no dought there.
Even scott gets a little too outside for my taste sometimes.
I'm trying to stay a step ahead on collecting... I have talked at length to many people on "what will be the next collectors item". I figure... an 89 ibanez jem floral print might be a good start... its made in japan but it is def what my gen is looking for. I'd love to find a kramer sustainer(eddie endorsed). I would bet a prs dove would be a good one too. I still would love to get a 70's strat but yer right, even those are getting pricy. who am i kidding trying to narrow it down from one of everything!