This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#1904 by Guest
Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:11 pm
Remember the Beatles comment (John in particular) that stated they were as popular as God?Take a look at a local band, in my backyard,that WAS a rival to EXIT 20.Go to www.salbevco.com and then go into their link to see the local talents they support.The one in particular,Zephyr,is the group I'd like feed back on concerning the message they have on a church sign..............Needless to say,my reaction led me to boycott our local beer distibutor,and tell them I didn't need their support.

Jon
EXIT 20

#1907 by Guest
Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:42 pm
Belle,
I know that it was done in poor taste just as the Beatles did it.What sickens me is that the church was willing to put it up on their sign.I can overlook stupidity from the band itself but it's the church.I'll get off my soapbox now :)

Jon

#1910 by Auburn Diva
Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:44 pm
I can't imagine a church allowing their sign to be used like that. Somebody must've gotten busy with their photoshop. The rest, while in slightly poor taste, was not anywhere near as offensive as some sites I've seen.
#1929 by Irminsul
Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:53 am
God(dess) invented beer too. Oh, and humor as well! And before you get ready to type a flame response, you should know I was raised a Mormon kid, so I know all about the alcohol no-no thing. I just didn't stay with it. It drummed the pleasure and passion out of everything.

#1937 by flameman
Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:35 pm
When Lennon made the statement about the Beatle's being more popular than Jesus Christ, it was debatable, but very well could've been fact. He did not mean that they were better, just that they had more exposure. The sign is in a bit of bad taste, but meant to be a spoof. I'm a little surprised that Miller would approve it.

#1938 by Guest
Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:28 pm
Although I appreciate your responses,I feel you miss where I'm coming from....It's not the beer promotion,ITS the comparison to God and by no means were the Beatles or ANYONE ever close to comparison to God or more exposure................
#1941 by Irminsul
Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:50 pm
I have to agree with flameman on this one. Lennon's statement has been systematically misunderstood or purposely mischaracterized since he first made it. It was clear to me that he meant the Beatle's popularity had at one time outstripped the media popularity of Jesus Christ; and that was indeed true at the time. Lennon was a very spiritual man on many levels, I have a hard time believing he was out to besmirch or degrade anyone's Gods or beliefs.

Christian fundamentalists, some of whom I know personally and are very fine people, have an unfortunate stereotype of going apeshit ballistic over anything that is not in line with their particular beliefs. When one overracts to spoofs or parodies of the nature indicated on this thread, it plays into that stereotype. I don't think that's a real good idea, especially since prejudice is a practice our dear culture loves to participate in, with relish.

#1942 by Guest
Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:51 pm
Jon: kudos to you for the boycot, the sign is not appropriate. Jon

#1977 by Guest
Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:57 pm
The statement that John Lennon made in that famous interview, though in poor taste, was probably pretty accurate. The Beatles are, and always will be, the greatest rock & roll band ever, period. What John meant at the time was, that you could travel to the deepest jungle in the amazon, find a pigmie with a bone in his nose, and a dish in his bottom lip, ask him who Jesus Christ was, and he probably wouldn't know. But he probably had a copy of "Love Me Do" in his mud hut. Lets face it. If we all followed the rules and regulations of Christianity. No one would be able to leave the house. This is coming from an ex-alter boy, and president of his conformation class. So I know a little about church. The sign is in poor taste. But don't over think it. It's just a sign, It's just a band, It's just a beer................. :wink: My 2 cents (sorry Jon)

#1986 by Guest
Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:39 pm
No need for apologies....Everyone has an opinion and a right to speak it.Needless to say,I voiced mine and now Zephyr is on the attack against EXIT 20,printing off my opinion and sending it to ALL the local bands for their support and demolition of our band.Regrets????None whatsoever...

#1987 by Irminsul
Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:28 pm
Well now if that's what they did, then Zephyr has clearly gone over the line. In trying to hurt your band and their prospects I'd say their actions are petty and vindictive.

Honorable people can honorably disagree. It's pretty pathetic when they decide to let it devolve to a mudfight.

#1989 by Guest
Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:44 pm
I have to say they are drawing more attention to themselves by sending out these fliers.Its not like I took out a front page ad or a letter to the editor or even brought it up to the other bands in the area.I think they are about to do more damage to themselves and actually bring EXIT 20 more publicity.It is very petty but I don't lose any sleep over it.I don't have any ill feelings towards anyone in this post that has basically condoned their behavior( except Jonny).Keep on rockin the free world...we just added that to our list :D