This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#2106 by Irminsul
Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:59 pm
Bluesguitargrl wrote:Drum circles are the only place around here you'll see them also, until I started jamming with a player, and with the 2 instruments they sound really cool... we might end up writing some music together... Hey BTW I didn't know you had drum circles out in Utah, I thought it was all Mormons, do they even believe in dancing? My college professor of percussion was mormon, he didn't even drink soda, due to his religous beliefs, and he was considered liberal among his fellow church goers.

Hahahahaa! Yeah believe it or not, Utah has a thriving musical underground. I've lived in five major cities in the US and I am amazed at how diverse it is here when you get past the layers of the usual stuff (cover bands, rock/metal, etc). We have a drum circle that happens in downtown Salt Lake City, at Liberty Park, that has been going on weekly now for over ten years. And HUNDREDS of people show up at it, religiously (no pun intended). Its so popular now that vendors started pitching their tents at it and selling their wares.

Oh, and I was raised a Mormon kid myself....and look what it did to me! (...hold up....I'm having a vision.....)

#2115 by Guest
Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:50 pm
The Diggeridoo is a wood or bamboo instrument, the best are made with eucalyptus wood. They are like a wooden tube...some are flared at the end and some are kinked (like some of us) ....you definately blow into a mouth-piece to play them. :D :D

#2130 by Auburn Diva
Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:57 pm
Hmmm. Then I wonder what the hell is the thing I was talking about???
This is the first place I've even heard the term "drum circle" so I'm obviously out of at least one loop!

#2131 by Irminsul
Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:14 pm
Drum circles are more or less spontaneous gatherings of people with a variety of percussion instruments (mostly bongos, African djimbes and tablas) that just start pounding away. They are often accompanied by people who like to dance to them, play the dijeredoo or just watch and sway. I've been to some really good ones but also to some horrid ones, where almost no one in the group had any real sense of rhythm (those are very hard on the ears and nerves). But generally they are just good time gatherings of a sort of hippy-ish nature.

#2133 by Guest
Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:26 pm
Auburn: Glad you ate the Gator....love that gator jerky....I know that in the movie CDI...Mick did have something with a string....i will try to find out what it is...and let ya know...

#2134 by Guest
Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:40 pm
Auburn: Ok that thing mick swung around over his head on a string, is also an austrialian aboriginal instrument/communicator called a bull roarer.

#2143 by Bluesguitargrl
Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:28 am
Irminsul, you are right... when they are bad they are really bad, but this area's blessed with some really good drummers, many belly dancers, and there's a secret spot where the best circles happen, but you have to be invited to that one. The best sircles happen there... sat I was thee till 1 am playing, singing, drumming, and dancing around a bonfire. What a charge... We did so much more than drumming though... people just started making random noises that equated wonderfull music, without instruments.

#2147 by RhythmMan
Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:02 am
Up here in New England, we have fife & drum corps meets.
The Deep River Mister attracts drum corps world-wide.
After each corps plays a few songs (and, there's up to 80 corps), they all join together in the middle of a field and play snare drums, bass drums, and fifes, for hours and hours and hours.
It never stops - when a song nears the end, it morphs into another.
It's really a pretty cool event, even if it's not your preferred style of music.
Alan

#2150 by Auburn Diva
Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:09 pm
Thanks for the correction.
Bluesgrl, one of these days I'll do a road trip to Venice & you can show me a drum circle. Sounds very intriguing.

#2153 by Bluesguitargrl
Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:47 pm
you got it.....

#2158 by Irminsul
Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:26 pm
Bluesguitargrl wrote:Irminsul, you are right... when they are bad they are really bad, but this area's blessed with some really good drummers, many belly dancers, and there's a secret spot where the best circles happen, but you have to be invited to that one. The best sircles happen there... sat I was thee till 1 am playing, singing, drumming, and dancing around a bonfire. What a charge... We did so much more than drumming though... people just started making random noises that equated wonderfull music, without instruments.

That is awesome. Those are the best kind! Not to mention, these things are often used for "energy raising" as well. Being a Pagan most of my life, I've been around those plenty :)

#2161 by Guest
Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:58 pm
So.....that explians the crop circle thing....

#2166 by Irminsul
Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:21 am
No no, the crop circles were made via a galactic conspiracy involving the DuPonts, Bilderbergers and the UFO overlords of Tau Ceti....I thought everyone knew that!

#2179 by Bluesguitargrl
Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:15 pm
You hit the nail on the head about the energy raising... last Saturday, I took pictures.. and there were all kinds of forms and white globes popping up in the pictures that were not visible to the naked eye. All centered around the circles I went to. And BTW nice to see a fellow pagan here. :lol:

#2180 by Guest
Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:31 pm
Of course....silly me....i stand corrected :lol: