This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#39535 by ghost 62
Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:47 pm
what song are you most ,proud of yourself that you learned how to play,other than an original

#39536 by stillkicken
Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:53 pm
Shortin bread on the piano when I was 10, it had a syncopated rythym, nobody would show me how it was supposed to be played, only tell me, thats not it, it drove me nuts.

#39539 by Franny
Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:11 pm
Haha, i never thought i'd hear anyone else say that; 8) i still love to play the melody to "Shortning Bread" foolin' around on Bass.

Alittle outside the lines of the topic, i still love to practice the theme to the "Pink Panther" whats so cool about that particular song is you can't hit a wrong note anywhere in it (misplacing a note(s) is possible) without a good sounding escape route. Try it somtime just for laughs and you'll see what i mean.
Theres one other song i know thats just as mistake proof, i just can't remember what it is. :oops:

#39541 by HowlinJ
Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:31 pm
First it was "House of the Rising Sun".
Then it was "Innagaddadavida"
After that, working out songs seemed routine, with the exception of Keith Emerson's version of Aron Copland's "Hoedown" from the E.L.P. album Trilogy.. I still can't play it good enough to let any one hear it! :evil:

#39543 by Greeniemagic
Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:43 pm
Can only do really basic stuff on guitar and have only ever used it for my own stuff, but I've just learnt Jonny Cash's version of "Hurt" so happy about that..

#39544 by Kramerguy
Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:46 pm
hmm tough one.

I was especially proud a few years ago that I learned the proper way to play dust in the wind.... and I thought I was sick of the song before I learned it!

Hmm. I dunno... Maybe shien on you crazy diamond by floyd, not because it's that difficult, but so moody. On the side of technical difficulty, I guess One by metallica was really hard to get the chops down precisely, I did that back in the 80's. I've concluded I will never learn the Yngwie, Satriani type blazing solos, but I never really aspired to be that type of player anyways, although I do enjoy listening to them occasionally.

#39546 by Hayden King
Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:53 pm
Jonny Cash's version of "Hurt" so happy about that..
that's the only cover I do, and one o my friends says it's my best song...boy what an ass eh! lol
I guess it would be wish you were here; it was the first song I learned and I didn't even know what an E string was. I used a record player (yup, a record player) and found each note, then which notes made up the chords....yeah I wanted it that bad! then for a while over the hills and far away was my best learned one. now I'm happy just to play my own without butchering em!

[email protected]
www.myspace.com/blunderingeye
[email protected]
blunderingeye on yahoo mess

#39552 by ghost 62
Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:08 pm
for myself it would have to be time in a bottle by croce or teslas love song. I must have practiced time in a bottle every day straight for a month before I got it sounding good

#39562 by gbheil
Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:52 pm
I guess it would have to be Bread's Freedom on the bass as a teen.
Been lots of H2o under the bridge.

#39575 by gtZip
Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:29 am
Red House I think.
My dad liked (or, 'still' likes) Hendrix.
So you know... I had that moment were I got good enough to learn it and struggle through it. Played it along with the record on my 'practice amp' for him.

Just don't ask me to play it now though without brushing up! :lol:

#39577 by philbymon
Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:48 am
I learned "American Pie" off the radio when it was popular when I was just learning to play. They played it so much it only took me a day to get it all down, words & all.

I was proud to learn "Theme From The Bottom" by Phish, cuz I had to play both the bass & guitar parts at the same time while the guitar player did the keyboard part, as we never had a keyboard player. That was a toughie, cuz I was just learning the bass. There was lots of stuff like that in that band, & it was cool beans fun.

The most difficult stuff I ever learned, though, was stuff I wrote. That was the stuff I was always most proud of.

#39593 by jw123
Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:35 am
Thunderbird, ZZ TOp

You know come to think of it? I never really learned that song, time to get busy!

#39601 by ghost 62
Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:57 am
not to get off the subject but when I was teenager .when anyone would say they knew how to play a guitar the first thing they would pull out of their hat was smoke on the water,but nobody could really play it :lol:

#39605 by jimmydanger
Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:02 pm
"Mood for a Day" by Yes.

#39608 by Kramerguy
Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:17 pm
ghost 62 wrote:not to get off the subject but when I was teenager .when anyone would say they knew how to play a guitar the first thing they would pull out of their hat was smoke on the water,but nobody could really play it :lol:

HAHAHA, this thread on another forum should provide you great entertainment. I laughed my a@@ off all day.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/for ... ?t=2072428