This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

What's most important to you?

79%
7%
11%
4%

#36128 by philbymon
Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:10 pm
For me, it's always been the music 1st. Caused a lot of trouble in my relationships over the yrs, but I stuck by it.

Partying has come along with it, but I've never been one to overdo it all the time, as I'm just a dabbler when it comes to the mind-altering stuff, & I suppose I have too much respect for both myself & the substances.

Women have come along with it, but again, I was just a dabbler there, too.

Being idolized always seemed above & beyond me. Never took that stuff seriously.

#36129 by FastFret
Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:11 pm
Ummm... Ummm... Ummm...

A little of all of the answers really pertains.

I LOVE music and it boils down to that. But...

C'mon, You would all be lying of you didn't love the audience, the girls, the partying is not really important to me but you know what they say..

Sex, Drugs and Rock & Roll!!

I love being on stage so I guess I like being idolized a little too. 8)

#36185 by gtZip
Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:28 am
jw123 wrote:Kramer, I guess you are right. The biggest buzz I get is when I make up a new song and record it. I think listening back is like an after sex cigarette and I dont smoke anymore. I may kid about women some, but I really enjoy creating music and bringing it to life.

I spent a couple of hours last night bringing a new one to life. Once I get it mixed I'll post it.

Creating is where it's at for me. I'm slowwww, but when something finally comes together that I think is good, and people respond to it... man, thats the good stuff.

#36388 by TheRevolutionite
Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:44 pm
PARTY ON!!!

#36501 by WayoftheSnakes
Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:04 pm
It's creating Music.All the rest is secondary.I'm married,I rarely drink.
Most imporatantly the music makes the person.I don't care what genre is played or the years of practise it's creating music that is the only reason I post here.

#36524 by Shredd6
Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:24 am
FastFret wrote:Ummm... Ummm... Ummm...

A little of all of the answers really pertains.

I LOVE music and it boils down to that. But...

C'mon, You would all be lying of you didn't love the audience, the girls, the partying is not really important to me but you know what they say..

Sex, Drugs and Rock & Roll!!

I love being on stage so I guess I like being idolized a little too. 8)

My thoughts exactly..

#36601 by Black57
Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:56 am
Well, I'm not into chicks but as for you guys, why do you think the chicks are screaming for you in the first place? Its your creativity. As musicians we rule the crowd. We own them no matter what their social status is. I have stepped up on stage a poor black child and step off with guys of all ages, shapes and colors proposing marriage to me...seriously. Playing an instrument melds us into a class of icons.

I perform classical, jazz, rock, soul, celtic and I get the same rush from every style of music that I play. However, I find that the music I enjoy playing the most is my own. To perform something and really enjoy the chord progressions, tempo, styles. It just gets me :cry: right here. 8)
Simply put, musicians rock.

#36624 by RhythmMan
Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:08 pm
Black57,
I agree.
And I think the crowd's feelings towards a performer are a cumulation of several things.
> respect for anyone having the guts to appear in front of a crowd. A lot of people fall apart when more than 4-5 people are hanging on their words. Not everyone can do it.
> immediate idolation of you as a 'celbrity.' Hey, you must be a celebrity - there you are, up on stage).
> feelings for the way you act (id. est.: comport yourself) on stage.
> a reaction to your age, physical appearance, and instrument.
All that gets them to listen to you.
Then the music follows, and what we do for/to/with the audience - is up to us.
You say, "Playing an instrument melds us into a class of icons." You're right, of course.
About yourself; you said: "I perform classical, jazz, rock, soul, celtic and I get the same rush from every style of music that I play. However, I find that the music I enjoy playing the most is my own. To perform something and really enjoy the chord progressions, tempo, styles. It just gets me right here. Simply put, musicians rock.
Yeah . . . that's it.
I recently played a dozen songs locally, and I played about 12 different styles of music, all originals . . . dangerous thing for a performer to do. But it went over very well . . .
I didn't see any music on your profile, but I suspect we might mesh well as musicians.
But of course you're on the West coast, and I'm on the East.
. . .

#36626 by Black57
Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:21 pm
RhythmMan_BluesRockFolk wrote:Black57,
I agree.
And I think the crowd's feelings towards a performer are a cumulation of several things.
> respect for anyone having the guts to appear in front of a crowd. A lot of people fall apart when more than 4-5 people are hanging on their words. Not everyone can do it.
> immediate idolation of you as a 'celbrity.' Hey, you must be a celebrity - there you are, up on stage).
> feelings for the way you act (id. est.: comport yourself) on stage.
> a reaction to your age, physical appearance, and instrument.
All that gets them to listen to you.
Then the music follows, and what we do for/to/with the audience - is up to us.
You say, "Playing an instrument melds us into a class of icons." You're right, of course.
About yourself; you said: "I perform classical, jazz, rock, soul, celtic and I get the same rush from every style of music that I play. However, I find that the music I enjoy playing the most is my own. To perform something and really enjoy the chord progressions, tempo, styles. It just gets me right here. Simply put, musicians rock.
Yeah . . . that's it.
I recently played a dozen songs locally, and I played about 12 different styles of music, all originals . . . dangerous thing for a performer to do. But it went over very well . . .
I didn't see any music on your profile, but I suspect we might mesh well as musicians.
But of course you're on the West coast, and I'm on the East.
. . .

Yeah, I am getting ready to teach a few flute lessons, but I can't wait until I come back and post to your comments. Maybe , one day, east will meet west.

I don't have any music posted cuz I don't know how to do it. but, my son said that he would help me so I hope to have something up soon. I see we do live on complete opposite sides of the country. That figures. However, gotta appreciate the fact that I have a music connection way over there. Life changes so quickly. I am originally from Ohio, I would have never thought that I would end up in California. My husband and I discussed moving to the OC in October 1998 and by the new year, we were here. I truly enjoy my profession, it is fun. That is why I say I play for a living.

#36717 by Fender Guy
Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:12 pm
I voted, all about the music, all else pales in comparison.

In the world of mortgages, $4/gallon gas, Iraq war, kids, kids's activites, wife, wife's schedule, my job, etc......playing is for fun, keeps me sane.

Can't remember the last time I got paid more than some gas money and some free beverages. But watching an empty dance floor fill up, seeing some of you friends and strangers as well enjoying the music, that's an incomparably good feeling.

#36759 by gbheil
Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:10 pm
Rock on Fender Dude.

#36796 by Black57
Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:18 am
The reason I am here on this site was because of a wake-up call. I was beginning to just grow weary in this business. I became stagnant and all I was doing was teaching. Don't get me wrong,no matter how long I am in the business, teaching is my top priority. But I was ready to quit doing everything to stay at home and sell stuff on ebay.

Now flash back to the early 90s. This is when I went to a concert and heard a guitarist by the name of Billy Mclaughlin. He's from Minnesota and at the time he was playing the college circuit. I saw him at one of the Kent State branches when I lived in Ohio. I was not expecting to like him at all, but hey, at least I was getting out of the house and away from the kids. To my chagrin, he was excellent, to say the least, and I had hoped for the opportunity to sit in with him whenever he returned to the area. I introduced myself and asked if I could sit in with him the next time he was performing in the area.He graciously agreed to my request and everytime he gigged in the area, I got to play with him. It was a true blessing to be able to just play with someone who loves to play.

I moved to California and I lose all kinds of stuff when I move. One of those things lost were a bunch of tapes. I lost all of my Billy tapes so I had gone online trying to locate a dealer or his website and I found nothing. I thought that it was odd that there was nothing on him. Perhaps he was changing his musical direction or something. I checked several times online then I would give up my search.

Then in December, I saw that Bobby McFerrin was going to be in town, so I went to the Bobby McFerrin website. I wanted to see him in concert but I doubted that I would be seeing him. While looking up Bobby McFerrin's site and checking out his stuff on YouTube, I decided to see if Billy got hip and decided to use the internet to advertise his music and stuff. Finally, when I googled Billy McLaughlin I got all kinds of stuff so I clicked on one of the choices and it told of a malady that he developed and had been fighting for over 10 years. http://www.billymacmusic.com/ It is called focal Dystonia and can be devistating to musicians or any other specialties that rely on specific body parts to perform that function. Focal , meaning that the dystonia is focused on a particular body part and in his case, the 2 fingers on his left hand...I think. The pianist, Leon Fleischer has the same illness. This malady can be compared to Parkinsons disease...it is a movement disorder where the neurons go through a type of confusion and won't allow his fingers to function as needed. He was no longer able to play his music. If he did nothing, his career would be over. He refused to give up playing his music so he restrung his guitar and reversed the "normal" playing position. He is playing again even though the doctors have cautioned him that he could eventually experience the same thing in the other hand.He has been dealing with this for nearly 10 years and boy has this hit me hard. :( ..in a good way. I realized that I had the world of music right in the palm of my hand. There is no excuse for me to not do the music thang. Soon, I decided to do an arrangement of one of his pieces, for flute choir and we will be recording it in a week. I have been composing and arranging. I have been playing, teaching and doing exactly what I want to do in music. One of those things was playing on stage. I have been going to open mics, I joined this web site, and today I sat in with a band that plays at a local bar. I got to play Locomotive Breath, Moondance and Marshal Tucker Band's, Can't You See. I have very strong improv abilities and I was able to use them. I had a blast playing with the band and they had a blast playing with me and asked that I return for their next gig....This is what it is all about. Finishing up the evening, I pulled into the garage, with one of Billy Mclaughlin's CD playing, I grew very teary eyed. I stopped crying when my son, unexpectedly came into the garage.

Oh BTW, not only did I get to go to the Bobby McFerrin concert, I went to the concert...FOR FREE!!! :P and at the last minute.
Sorry that this is so long just had to express myself. Do your music and do it with all of your might.

BTW, PBS is doing a documentary on this, expected out in September...watch for it.

#76707 by RhythmMan
Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:22 am
To me, goal #1 is to enjoy playing the music.

#76714 by Chippy
Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:49 am
Enjoying it for sure. To become something like a drum pattern living off set stave and nothing in between would be hell given that we all pour everything into what we do whether it is great or not.

Great poll by the way.

#76723 by J-HALEY
Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:24 pm
It has always been just about the music for me. All the other stuff was just a fringe benefit! 8)