This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#105278 by Cretindilettante
Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:28 am
Anonymous wrote:I have been playing a loooong time. I have great equipment. Bandmix seems to be dominated by heavy metal and alt rock bands. I am an old fart who has played with the stars of yesteryear and only seek people who are willing to do something fun, interesting, and bluesy. Little rehearsing and a modicum of gigs to entice everyone.
Isn't there a place on bandmix that is equivalent to an elephant's burial ground for very experienced players? Can I get an amen?
Someone contact me and improve my look on life, music and the pursuit of normalcy.

Metal can be fun, interesting, and bluesy too, you know. Black Sabbath was basically blues music with darker lyrical themes.
#129231 by eparadiddle
Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:20 am
dpharris wrote:
Browneyes wrote:Good God, Y'all !! I can't find anybody down here in south Georgia to play some good old music with. Where are all the Old Timers in Georgia?

Still pluggin along, mostly, I think. I'm from Augusta and hooking up with some guys in Waynesboro Saturday to start putting together some blues and R&B type stuff. Midway is practically Florida, isn't it? ;o)

There are quite a few oldtimers around this area still playing.

Don
yall all sound like your going to get together and jump off a cliff. yall dont take it so serious

#129417 by Slingerman
Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:12 pm
Now I don't feel quite as bad, well maybe I still do. I have been away from performing for 12 years but last spring got a chance to do a gig with two pros from Nashville and 2 instructors at the mcNally College of Music in Minneapolis and a keyboard player from New York (doctorate in music who plays and directs on Broadway). I worked my butt off and did the show it was Outstanding. Now I want to get back into it and nopbody wants a 62 YO drummer who has been giging since he was 15 and is probably better now than he ever was. So if anyone needs a drummer who plays and sings, blues, country, classic rock in central Mn. hit me up. [email protected]

#136224 by tgel
Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:34 am
Hey, AMEN!
I'm an "old guy" from Tucson. We don't even have a country radio station here that plays any old time country music anymore and thae sad thing is that no one seems to care.
Thom Gelineau

#136629 by MikeTalbot
Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:56 pm
Guitaranatomy wrote:Gi, Three Days Grace has some good stuff... But um...Them and Breaking Benjamin first off are clones, and second off are studio bands. You put these guys on a stage and they are half assed and their music has no talent. I agree with you that some pieces sound good even if they are basic, but you know, I just am not impressed by those bands. The bands today just plain out suck, no talent left. Once in a while you catch a good song these days, but it takes a lot.

The only band today that has complex music is Incubus. I love playing "Drive," "Anna Molly," and "Megalomanic."

You know who I liked, Saliva. I loved that band, but their new album lacks any real ability. I do not think techinical playing is everything, I can't, because I love Metallica and their stuff is fairly easy to play. However, like I said, the bands today are just sellouts to their record labels with no talent. So thank God for people like Chris Cornell who dropped out of Audio-Slave as not to be controlled by a label company.

Note, I am just responding to you, I did not go over this thread. Sorry guys if I am off topic by any means, just replying to Gi.

Peace out, GuitarAnatomy.

I used to think that. In '96 I got drunk and burned my song book. I figured the scene was over and so was I.

But I got better.

I was checking out some Celtic stuff on Youtube and bumped into a Symphonic Metal band called Nightwish. It was one of the things that caused me to get back into it all.

And you know - I felt that I was a damn fool. I'd been complaining that it all sounded boring and blah but I hadn't done anything to fix that. While I was whining Nightwish and others were cranking it out - very creative and lots of technical skill. Which also led me to Lacuna Coil, Epica et al. There are folks doing some wild work - just not all Americans or Brits anymore.

My son introduced me to Megadeth and while I don't like 'growling' metal I do get a lot of guitar inspiration from maniacs like Dave Mustaine and even the ubiquitous Metallica.

And now I'm back in the game.

cheers
Talbot

#136668 by gbheil
Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:29 pm
MikeTalbot wrote:
Guitaranatomy wrote:Gi, Three Days Grace has some good stuff... But um...Them and Breaking Benjamin first off are clones, and second off are studio bands. You put these guys on a stage and they are half assed and their music has no talent. I agree with you that some pieces sound good even if they are basic, but you know, I just am not impressed by those bands. The bands today just plain out suck, no talent left. Once in a while you catch a good song these days, but it takes a lot.

The only band today that has complex music is Incubus. I love playing "Drive," "Anna Molly," and "Megalomanic."

You know who I liked, Saliva. I loved that band, but their new album lacks any real ability. I do not think techinical playing is everything, I can't, because I love Metallica and their stuff is fairly easy to play. However, like I said, the bands today are just sellouts to their record labels with no talent. So thank God for people like Chris Cornell who dropped out of Audio-Slave as not to be controlled by a label company.

Note, I am just responding to you, I did not go over this thread. Sorry guys if I am off topic by any means, just replying to Gi.

Peace out, GuitarAnatomy.

I used to think that. In '96 I got drunk and burned my song book. I figured the scene was over and so was I.

But I got better.

I was checking out some Celtic stuff on Youtube and bumped into a Symphonic Metal band called Nightwish. It was one of the things that caused me to get back into it all.

And you know - I felt that I was a damn fool. I'd been complaining that it all sounded boring and blah but I hadn't done anything to fix that. While I was whining Nightwish and others were cranking it out - very creative and lots of technical skill. Which also led me to Lacuna Coil, Epica et al. There are folks doing some wild work - just not all Americans or Brits anymore.

My son introduced me to Megadeth and while I don't like 'growling' metal I do get a lot of guitar inspiration from maniacs like Dave Mustaine and even the ubiquitous Metallica.

And now I'm back in the game.

cheers
Talbot

And that is what really matters.
#167725 by Mike McCoy
Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:24 am
I'm a 51 year old guy in Augusta GA that would like to get together with some one or some people and just jam or get serious about a band. Black Sabbath, Deep Purple kind of material, or symphonic metal what we call goth, darkwave here in the usa kind of material. Just about anything EXCEPT disco, rap, hip-hop, country, death metal and that stuff where they scream all the time. [email protected]

#167730 by RGMixProject
Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:43 am

Do you know who this is?

#167731 by JCP61
Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:53 am
sly stone

#167762 by GuitarMikeB
Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:21 pm
JCP61 wrote:sly stone

Nope, he definitely squandered his money on drugs! :roll:

#167765 by JCP61
Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:05 pm
well that's all the guess's i had :roll:

#167889 by Slacker G
Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:15 pm
TGEL wrote:Hey, AMEN!
I'm an "old guy" from Tucson. We don't even have a country radio station here that plays any old time country music anymore and thae sad thing is that no one seems to care.
Thom Gelineau

I care. But it doesn't make any difference. The white strips toothpaste people killed country music. Who would have thought that would ever happen? Diane Warwick and the physic network folks perhaps? Funny that with all the interviews she has been on in the last month, no one ever asked her why she didn't warn Whitney.

#167915 by RGMixProject
Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:35 am
Checking out at the store, the young cashier suggested to the older woman that she should bring her own shopping bags because plastic bags weren't good for the environment. The woman apologized and explained, "We didn't have this green thing back in my earlier days."

The cashier responded, "That's our problem today. Your generation did not care enough to save our environment for future generations."

She was right -- our generation didn't have the green thing in its day. Back then, we returned milk bottles, pop bottles and beer bottles to the store. The store sent them back to the plant to be washed and sterilized and refilled, so it could use the same bottles over and over. So they really were recycled. We refilled writing pens with ink instead of buying a new pen, and we replaced the razor blades in a razor instead of throwing away the whole razor just because the blade got dull.
But we didn't have the green thing back in our day.

We walked up stairs, because we didn't have an escalator in every shop and office building. We walked to the grocery store and didn't climb into a 300-horsepower machine every time we had to go two blocks. But she was right. We didn't have the green thing in our day.

Back then, we washed the baby's nappies because we didn't have the throw-away kind. We dried clothes on a line, not in an energy gobbling machine burning up 220 volts -- wind and solar power really did dry our clothes back in our early days. Kids got hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters, not always brand-new clothing. But that young lady is right. We didn't have the green thing back in our day.

Back then, we had one TV, or radio, in the house -- not a TV in every room. And the TV had a small screen the size of a handkerchief (remember them?), not a screen the size of the county of Yorkshire . In the kitchen, we blended and stirred by hand because we didn't have electric machines to do everything for us. When we packaged a fragile item to send in the post, we used wadded up old newspapers to cushion it, not Styrofoam or plastic bubble wrap. Back then, we didn't fire up an engine and burn petrol just to cut the lawn. We used a push mower that ran on human power. We exercised by working so we didn't need to go to a health club to run on treadmills that operate on electricity. But she's right. We didn't have the green thing back then.

We drank water from a fountain or a tap when we were thirsty instead of demanding a plastic bottle flown in from another country. We accepted that a lot of food was seasonal and didn?t expect that to be bucked by flying it thousands of air miles around the world. We actually cooked food that didn?t come out of a packet, tin or plastic wrap and we could even wash our own vegetables and chop our own salad. But we didn't have the green thing back then.

Back then, people took the tram or a bus, and kids rode their bikes to school or walked instead of turning their mothers into a 24-hour taxi service. We had one electrical outlet in a room, not an entire bank of sockets to power a dozen appliances.

And we didn't need a computerized gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellites 2,000 miles out in space in order to find the nearest pizza joint.

But isn't it sad that the current generation laments how wasteful we old folks were just because we didn't have the green thing back then?

Remember: Don't make old people mad ya smart-ass young person. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off.

As for your young-ass music... You call that music! :D

#167940 by GuitarMikeB
Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:53 pm
You forget having to walk to school barefoot, 10 miles uphill in both directions!

Should have told that smartass store clerk that it was HER STORE that decided to start using plastic bags instead of recyclable paper ones (which also functioned as book covers and halloween costumes!)