This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#4226 by treejackson
Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:00 pm
Old School musicians and singers have paved the way , I got 21 songs on the market, 31 years of paying dues, and aint got tired yet, you are right on the money, and you are not by yourself in this thing, gimme a shout

#4235 by RhythmMan
Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:57 pm
Yeah, maybe we've got some aches and pains, and a few wrinkles, but I'll tell you, man - when it comes to music - it's GOOD to be an old timer.

#4554 by kinatra59
Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:16 am
tea i am old timer myself,,,,,,67 just bought a new set of sonar;;;have a vintage set of geatsh,,,,,,,selled wrong...looking to get with guys myself,,,i live ct... good luck
#4935 by Vocals & Bass
Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:15 am
Old man take a look at my life, Im alot like, You were.... So keep on Rockin in the Free World. Im still younger than Neil Young. "Over 44 and theres so much more.

#5008 by RhythmMan
Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:34 pm
It seems that the general trend lately (last few years) is that it's more important in what you LOOK like than what you SOUND like.

#5032 by Roadhousegtr
Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:53 pm
I guess I'm in the "Old Fart" boat, too. I'm 57 and still playing hard rocking R&B and Blues. Just lost my drummer to diabetis and it's hard to find another one in Roanoke, Virginia who knows who Johnny Winter,Luther Allison, Coco Montoya, Michael Burks, Lil Ed & The Blues Imperials are. Still doing Blues festivals and bigger clubs. Most players don't want to travel more than 15 miles to play.

#5257 by Kelly marshall
Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:28 pm
Hey everybody, Who cares how old a musician is. I have had the pleasure of singing with "classic musicians" and I happen to know that they are the best! The egos are gone, and the playing is much easier and relaxed and they just love what they do! They don't get mad or upset they just roll with it! Besides they can usually pick right up on the music and I am amazed and admire that! With as many musicians that are here and looking to get together, maybe we should try to get a central meeting place and unite and have a big jam session! Probably would be one of the best things that could happen.

flaxenblonde,
[email protected]
#5646 by splinters
Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:32 pm
Anonymous wrote:Hey Oldsters,
I'm sitting on an indian reservation in western New York and to my amazement right in the middle of classic rock territory.My classic rock band,EXIT 20,consists of me(Jon)-drummer,54 yrs old,Mark-lead guitar/vocals,53 yrs.old,Tim-bass/vocals,50 yrs.old and John(the baby)rhythm/vocals,mid-30's.Our band slogan is:We don't just play it,we lived it!We are sponsored by our local classic rock radio station which is also the only radio station so for now I'm in my element........check are website at www.exit20.altpro.net and see how us oldsters are holding up :lol:

Now that's Rock and Roll. Thanks for the link.

#5725 by dbbluesman58
Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:17 pm
hey all, yeah pretty much the same problem here in southern jersey, i've been playing for 35 years, music is my lifes blood, do you remember when you were young, and not as wise,? nobody could tell you anything , we thought we knew it all , we had all the answers, we thought everything we did sounded great, well its the same thing now i guess .one thing i find that holds true ,is that with age comes a better ear for music ,a more focussed mind set on dynamics, and good sound quality, not just turn it up and wail. older musicians have so much more to offer, experience is one of the most valuable commodities in a musician.also egos , and rock star dreams , and selfish look at me only attitudes , have dissapated with the years. most importantly older musicians realize more that you must serve the music, playing with others is about whats best for the music your playing.whats gonna make it sound as good as it can, of course there are exceptions , i'm sure there are many younger musicians with mature attitudes, and gifted wisdom. its a shame so many people dont realize that there is no age limit on musicianship, its not about how pretty you look, or the length of your hair, or the lack of your hair. its just aqbout good music . if anyone wants to talk, or can relate, and just wants to get it off there chest please feel free to email me Dave

#5731 by RhythmMan
Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:23 pm
Dave, you're right on the money with that answer.
There is something to be said about maturity . . .
And, you're right: with age and experience DOES come a better ear for music.
And - when playing - the only thing that counts is the music.
When I play with others, and someone changes a part of one of my original songs . . . well - if it sounds BETTER - then: good!
Yeah I could play macho-man jerk; but if someone wants to put themselves into the music with me - welcome.
I don't care WHO came up with the improvement. I'm just listening to / experiencing us play, and if they want to take the song into a cool direction - well, then, 'thank you for that music insight, my friend.'
I'm not looking to play with robots or serfs or admirers . . . .
I'm looking to play with musicians . . . .
I wonder how long it takes the average musician to discover the value of this atitude . . . .

#5768 by Tessa
Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:23 pm
Hi Kids! It's how YOU see it. I'm not sure how important looks are although if you went by American Idol standards, it seems it's very important. I'm 53, and I'm in a band with four other guys , all in our 50's, and we are all better at what we do. None of us obviously intend to quit playing any time soon since the band is relatively new. It's kind of like the Beatles or Stones, Aerosmith, there are bands that live and last and there are the one hit wonders. It's a combination of passion and talent. How many of the young bands will last? It's like someone said earlier, there's some very mature and talented younger musicians out there and guess what? They will be US, someday! Whether they see more success, well, that depends on what you call success, but I think if you play all your life, like myself, it's a good thing. I also think that as an older musician, still at it, we set a new standard. We can break the norm. As a woman, I think it's even more difficult because of that whole looks thing but I don't look my age, so that helps me only for now. I intend to keep playing till I die, but who knows how things "play out" , no pun intended! I think this whole age thing is seen in the work place as well. That's why they are letting 50 something executives go after years in the company, blah , blah, and I bartended for years and it's so hard to find a bartending job now as an older woman. I really think you just gotta storm the gates and do this. Set a new standard, no matter what it is you want to continue to do. Hey, not to be corny or is it lame, now, but remember from grade school, "Give me liberty or give me death" ? Well, I want to be free to do what I want, for as long as I want. Especially, cos I'm doing it better than I ever have! AND, We will!

#5772 by RhythmMan
Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:40 pm
Tessa,
Yeah, there's a whole growing sub-culture of people more interested in admiring 'rock stars,' than in admiring the actual music.
Yeah there are also a lot of very talented youger musicians . . .
But, when they get older, they'll be even more talented, and more experienced.
The older musicians have an opportunity to expose others to some really great music . . . .
#6965 by The Nabokovs
Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:10 am
May I quote Roger Daltrey, a bona-fide old timer:

Long Live Rock! I Need It Every Night!

#7024 by Irminsul
Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:47 pm
I saw a great performance of JS Bach's 2nd Brandenbrug Concerto the other night. I don't think a single one of the players was over 22 years old. Now I'd say that's pretty good for an old timer, that grouchly old German, dead for centuries now, to put such fire and desire into the bellies of such young performers.

Time is an illusion.