This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#7043 by Tessa
Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:01 am
AND, I would like to add , AGE IS AN ILLUSION, too!

#7049 by Vocals & Bass
Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:43 am
tessa wrote:AND, I would like to add , AGE IS AN ILLUSION, too!
"And I wil not be deprived of my Delusions of grandeur" :D

#7052 by Tessa
Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:22 am
Hey, B&V, you guys crack me up! I love your pictures! I'll have to try and post some more pictures of me with my band, THE FOSSILS! You'll love it! Here's to the Grandeur, may it continue till we die!

#7054 by Vocals & Bass
Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:12 am
tessa wrote:Hey, B&V, you guys crack me up! I love your pictures! I'll have to try and post some more pictures of me with my band, THE FOSSILS! You'll love it! Here's to the Grandeur, may it continue till we die!
Thank you sister! I have a cousin that lives in New Jersey. The Great North East. I will check out your websites. Our band has a site at, http://www.myspace.com/vocalsbass See ya' Sis,.....Peace.

#7073 by KRB
Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:17 pm
Alternative rock? I guess some people couldn't play music from their soul so they found an alternative. ALTERNATIVE ROCK IS AN ILLUSION.....
#7074 by sac48
Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:55 pm
Never heard so much whining!

I'm 58...played for many years, drafted, Vietnam, family, career...laid off music for 35 years. Got the bug about a year ago...looked for old farts just to jam with too...the problem is that most of the old farts were too rusty or didn't know any songs or wouldn't show up or whatever....just wasn't any fun.

The answer...get your chops in shape, learn (or re-learn some music) and join a band....what a novel idea. Worked for me....I now turn down more invites to play with groups than you can imagine. If you really want to play, then you gotta go out and play. If you're good enough....age doesn't matter.... just thinking your good won't cut it....the youngsters will hear it on your first audition (yes they will audition you these days!)

Unless you want to sit around your basement with $10K worth of music equipment (because you can afford it now!) accompanying your CD's with your brand new instrument...then commit you time, energy and talent to a real working band. Commitment is the keyword here....that's problably why I hear most of this whining on sites like this....everybody wants things to be easy and effortless....this businesss has never been easy, and still isn't.

If all you want to do is jam occassionally....join your church's band or get an 80 gig ipod.

#7075 by kevspain
Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:35 pm
To me music is a gift to the soul. I can't say that the alternative scene is
void of talent, lets face it they are doing what we as "old farts" did when we started out. I'm sure that my parents and their friends thought that SMOKE ON THE WATER, IRON MAN, and other classic tunes that my peers and I banged out in the garage were direcly delivered to us from the Devil and totally devoid of any thing called talent.

I really like some of the newer stuff. The young tattooed ones that go and support this music sure do not want a grey haired pot bellied old fart like me hanging around. But support is the key. If we as the more experanced are not able to find venues to express our musical gifts will this music pass away? Most people that grew up with classic rock and blues rock will not come out and support the local acts that still rock the house. At least thats the case in my area. I Have played infront of huge crowds back in the day and now I feel lucky to get a couple of dozen folks out to hear us.

If you want to be heard and find people to play with support the folks that are still out there doing their thing. Grab the wife and head down to the local bar or roadhouse. Show the classic rockers out there that they are still enjoyed.

#7077 by Vocals & Bass
Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:54 pm
Great post brother! Versatality is an aspect of a good musician. To be opened minded to different styles & cateagories of music. I am 46yrs. old, And the 90s Seattle era is one of my favorites. But just because someone doesnt like that style, doesnt mean they arent good musicians. Sounds a little contradictive. But hey. Everyone has their own personal likes & dislikes of the different styles of music. Yeah, in our day, everyone that played guitar knew Smoke On The Water. Man In The Box-Alice In Chains is a popular one from the 90s era these days. Keep It Rockin Guys!...Peace.
kevspain wrote:To me music is a gift to the soul. I can't say that the alternative scene is
void of talent, lets face it they are doing what we as "old farts" did when we started out. I'm sure that my parents and their friends thought that SMOKE ON THE WATER, IRON MAN, and other classic tunes that my peers and I banged out in the garage were direcly delivered to us from the Devil and totally devoid of any thing called talent.

I really like some of the newer stuff. The young tattooed ones that go and support this music sure do not want a grey haired pot bellied old fart like me hanging around. But support is the key. If we as the more experanced are not able to find venues to express our musical gifts will this music pass away? Most people that grew up with classic rock and blues rock will not come out and support the local acts that still rock the house. At least thats the case in my area. I Have played infront of huge crowds back in the day and now I feel lucky to get a couple of dozen folks out to hear us.

If you want to be heard and find people to play with support the folks that are still out there doing their thing. Grab the wife and head down to the local bar or roadhouse. Show the classic rockers out there that they are still enjoyed.

#7096 by Tessa
Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:22 am
V&B. I went to your my space site, nice! I really should do that myself. Actually, this Bandmix site is the first place I've ever really set up and I'm told that MY SPACE is really a good place to be. I didn't have time to really check it all out today, but I'll go back to it again. I did put up a couple of pictures at Bandmix although they are not as cool as that one picture of the three of you, LOL! Where's your cousin in NJ? I'm about an hour north of Atlantic City. I use to go out to Ohio back in the early 80's to play music at some different venues cos I was doing a lot of Christian contemporary stuff back then as well. Salem, Ohio, and got to meet Charlie Daniels cos he was staying at the same motel! PEACE, GUYS!

#7102 by Vocals & Bass
Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:16 pm
Hey tessa, You are to kind. We are just three old men still rocking. Ive been playing music with the drummer in the middle since I was 17yrs. old. Guy on the left is my brother. The drummer is really outstanding, He has me spoiled as a bass player. Its not everyday you find a drummer who's talent is so far above everyone else in the band. Dont think I would even look for a replacement if he quit playing music, To hard to find a drummer as good as he is. Cant remember what part of NJ. my Cuz lives in, Been so long since Ive seen or talked to her. Could find out. I should get in touch with her! Salem is not that far from me. I am located right on the Ohio River. [A river rat] By the way!, Your picture is of a beautiful woman! {I can flirt if I want to] I cant believe that you are 53yrs. old! Let me know when you get your myspace account up & running. Cant beat it. Its all free. Download pics, vidios, music, & so much more. [Have you ever heard the phrase, "The myspace Generation"] Well...Look forward at seeing the pics of you & your band. Keep in touch Sis. VB.

#7104 by Tessa
Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:44 pm
VB, thanks for the encouragement and basically that's what this forum is all about. You said you are just three old men still rockin', but that's the point right there! No need to ever stop! Everyone in my band is in their 50's and we have some great laughs at times, you know, who can't see what, or who can't remember something, or who's back hurts more after setting up all that damn equipment for a gig! We are all going to set a standard for the younger musicians coming around and I hope they see that age is not an issue for any reason. I think passion for what you do is what keeps a lot of people going and you can't ignore the fact that the Beatles, Stones , Aerosmith, etc. , are still at it, in their 50's and 60's. True, they started when they were younger, but so did we, only they were at the right place at the right time, I think. I love that they are still making music and that's what people think of us too! So, see you at MY Space, real soon! GO PLAY! LOL! Tessa

#7105 by Tessa
Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:50 pm
VB, I forgot to mention a funny thing. Where I live, in TOMS RIVER, the township itself is DOVER township! How did you come up with that name?

#7107 by Vocals & Bass
Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:14 pm
tessa wrote:VB, I forgot to mention a funny thing. Where I live, in TOMS RIVER, the township itself is DOVER township! How did you come up with that name?
My son is at "Dover" Air Force Base in Delaware. Seen your pics, On your profile! WOW! :shock:
#7301 by Pocket drummer
Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:36 pm
when I was in portland I played with all age groups my problem was not enough time ... now in MPLS have the time and no replys to my post !! OH well I guess that's how it goes to bad though my heart say's I'm 20 but the kids say your old .... true pofessionals play with all ages and sizes
take for example journy and the stones the young ones that play with k-richards outside of his core goup are not complaining !!! the bass player in journy is older than the goup age avrage, Sting has played and toured with alot of old profetionals "check out who play's on the track if you love sobody set them free" why ??? BECAUS THEY CAN PLAY MORE THAN THREE CORDS !!!! many true [PROFETIONALS] collaborate together on album's both share stake in the music and in effect are true pro's not because of age but they have learned early on that "age is not a prewcqusit to sucsess" the content of the music is".... most pro's are older than the people who listen to there song's and buy from them anyway.....one more thought.... many of the new sounds that people are listening too are infact due to what the kid's "US".. have contributed in the past <to>.... some day someone will think of a brilliant thought and make a chair out of wood in the future....

#8757 by ortegapp
Sun May 20, 2007 7:03 pm
Hi. I'm 46 and played bass since 20. I live in Owasso.Where do you guys meet? [email protected]
Jose