This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#3645 by RhythmMan
Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:55 pm
I'm pretty sure that if I was 20 years younger that I'd get a LOT more responses,
also, if I was 20 years younger I would play with 20 years less experience.
Maybe kids in their 20's & 30's think that if someone with a lot more experience joined them, that they'd 'take over' something?
They're maybe afraid of being shown up?
Or - maybe they just want to party, and don't want to have a bunch of old guys scaring the chicks away . . . . :)

#3648 by Keys Guy
Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:01 pm
I to am 52. Keyboards Rock for me. The media is influenced by the people supporting it. The younger generation is out at the clubs and that is what club owners book. Plain and simple. We are older and wiser this is true and if you can hook up with a group or start one keep calm and let the crap that seperates us (business) do what it will. I am finding a resurgence here in NE Wisconsin with some older players but older players have other priorities with family and such that should take your no 1 attention. Thats called responsibility. I notice when I go to concerts the younger crowd sucks. It's I me Mine for them. They have little respect for older cats and when you listen to them play you can hear it in there chops. Hang in there people and let the music flow. Do not get rid of your gear and make some contacts to record files over distance if nothing else. Mabey set up a MP3 national studio or something.

#3672 by rocket88
Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:36 pm
I live in NW Ohio and play keyboards. I have been in rock and blues bands since I was a teen, now 53 (haven't played out in the last 3 years) and I can't seem to find a group of people to just jam with much less form a band. I've jammed with the younger generation and while it was fun it just didn't trip my trigger. I'd be happy just to get together once a month for 3 hours just to jam for fun. I know there are a lot of really good older players in my area, always seems to be some sort of drama... I would think by now that would have gone away but it seems worse! So I bought Pro Tools 5 and went to putting together my own little studio as I already had all the instruments I needed. It's fun but just not the same as interacting with other players. Lugging a keyboard and amp to "open jams" just isn't practical either. :?

#3693 by Irminsul
Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:39 am
I think you folks shouldn't write off the youngins yet.

Many of them DO like and respect the old timers. For instance, Trent Reznor from Nine Inch Nails was a good friend and music collaborator with the late great Johnny Cash. Trent LOVES that guy's music and Mr. Cash really got into what Trent was doing. He even did a cover of Reznor's "Hurt" which was a fantastic piece of music. Johnny also did some Depeche Mode songs like "Personal Jesus".

The point is that the youngins like cool people, with some sass and depth to them no matter how old they are. I went to a KoKo Taylor concert last summer, and you should have seen the huge number of 20-somethings who came out to hear this 70 something year old woman belt it out. Phenomenal.

So just for thought - what if we're making a mistake blaming our woes on the younger generation, when we should be turning the question around and ask "am *I* still interesting?". Playing and collaborating with younger musicians keeps me on my toes and even gives me an epiphany now and again.

#3781 by Keys Guy
Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:34 am
Yes, you are right. but I was refering to the audience at concerts witch I am not used to sitting or standing in. I am uasualy playing. It just seemed to me and my wife we were being pushed and shoved by much younger people to get a good viewing of the show. I mean running full scale into a crowded room straight thru the crowd to the front. Mabey just general admission sucks. It was a gig in Milwaukee at the Rave for Bob Marleys old band. Musicians usually have more respect for other musicians it seams. Young or older. Older guys usually get rid of the ego thing after awhile cause you have been there done that and it gets you nowhere.

#4076 by bluedemon
Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:54 pm
One more old timer(56)..playing off and on since the 60's ..off at the moment but think about a rockin' blues band here in finger lakes NY Ithaca to be exact...I am a keyboard player with gear to spare...only want to play once a month ..otherwise to much like work..I have lots of great old stories bout the old days..

#4091 by Nick BIG HEAD FRED
Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:25 am
HEY BROTHER! I know exactly what your talkin about. I would be great Iif we, all could find the right people and live within an hour from us, ya, that sure would be nice. I hoe to retire within the next 3 years and hope to find and play with people just like you! I wish you lots of luck and Merry Xmas to you and yours.

#4092 by Chemical Residue
Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:02 pm
Hey now I have no problem jammin w/ the older folk...I've picked up my guitar and played Bluegrass several times w/ other older 50's plus...now as far as rock goes it's hard to be taken seriously by the OLDER members b/c a lot of them look down upon the youngsters Detuned guitars, strumming technigues, and finger picking. It might be b/c the majority of youngsters out there are self taught and set in their ways but I'd like to think that the Old timers would give feedback more then ignore their playing styles. BTW some 70's/80's groups are in their late 40s 50-60s and still performing and youngins still go to their shows. Kiss, Blondie, aerosmith, Pat Benetar, Cyndai Lauper.....If it's good music I'm there.

#4109 by RhythmMan
Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:12 pm
I notice a new trend in Bandmix - they're now accepting 13 and 15 year olds.
The minimum age used to be 18, and for good reason; it helped to attract mature adults with lots of experienec to the site.
I'm glad these kids want to learn to play instruments. :)
But there's not much chance that any band will accept a 13 year old to join their group (and play in lounges . . .)
There are a lot of music sites for the younger crowd, but not many sites just for adults.
And, then there's the experience question . . . I've been looking for musicians with 10 - 20 years experience. That's more time playing an instrument than these kids have been alive.
I guess that makes me an old fart.
Ah well - what can you do? I just hope the adults keep up their interest in this site . . .
:)
I'm on Christmas siesta, anyway.
Are any of the other old-timers (those in their 40's. 50's and 60's) taking a Christmas break, like me?
I think I've been playing an average of only 1/2 hour a day.
I'm going to have to get back to practicing, before senility sets in, and I start forgetting my songs, and start repeating myself. I'm going to have to get back to practicing, before senility sets in, and I start forgetting my songs, and start repeating myself.
:)

#4112 by Tessa
Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:33 am
Where have all the flowers gone? If you've been playing any length of time, you remember that song. Well, it was one of the first songs I ever put down on a reel to reel recorder. Point? I am just as passionate now as I was then about music. I'm 53, AND female and talk about finding a band! I read most of this chatter and I think the majority is male species as an ol' friend of mine would say, but the good news is that when it comes to making good music, I don't think the true musician cares about gender nor age. At least that is true for me. The "Industry" may want to sell music packaged in a tight a#!s, but I say good music will distribute itself! I write and perform better than ever, still passionate , and I intend to play till I die. BTW, I wonder why so many songs from the Baby Boomers era, have been covered again? Yeah, that's right, cos we made some damn good music! And we ain't finished! Ciao, I mean PEACE !

#4114 by RhythmMan
Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:36 pm
That's a good song.
Yeah. I'm the same age, and I agree with everything you say.
I LOVE music, and each year I've got more and more of it in my memory. And - it just wants to ooze out of my fingertips onto the fretboard . . . :)
You're right - it doesn't matter where good music comes from, and it can come from ANYone.
Yeah, the industry seems to be mostly looking for models who can also sing or play; looks & attitude first . . . more marketable . . .
And - I guess it helps the fans connect to the music better . . .
You're right on about covers, too.
I think that some of the most creative music in the history of the human race was written in the 60's . . . it seems more new directions came from the 60's than any other era.
Thanks for saying it so succinctly.

#4124 by Chemical Residue
Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:43 pm
One of the older members in our group in his thirties listens to nothing but 60s and 70s music in his MP3 player.....shocked me so much b/c we are hip/hop......He even says that 60s 70s music was some of the best music ever and its no wonder why so many ppl cover it.

#4130 by Tessa
Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:43 am
So, I happen to think that all music is spiritual and has the ability to bring all kinds of people together. I agree with Karl that if it's good music, I'm there! I think that if we only hang with people our own age, we cheat ourselves cos we can teach one another. I'm a strong advocate for change cos we grow and get better that way. It's being eclectic and mixing old and new that I find exciting. We can all bring something to the table and have a feast, or is that a festival? Anyway, everybody gets old someday but the good news is you get better too, if you stick with it. Me, I try to learn from every point. AND, it should be fun, you gotta have fun!
#4141 by Tim keys
Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:21 pm
boliver dragnut wrote:well here in michigan- home of rock and roll- plenty of venues and folks
to jam with here - should try it some time - PEACE

I am in kalamazoo. I have started the search to get a band going. Its tough to network all the guys that have been just hanging out at home playing for years. I am sure that there is alot of talent... finding it is a problem floatrat@ charter.net
#4173 by tenor1n2
Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:36 am
Hello, seeing that I'm the same age as everyone in this chat. I guess I'm in the same predicament as far as ppl to gig with. That is why I'm gonna move to Vegas sometime in 07 and try my luck. Now if I was to find something now to do I wouldn't mind. I kind of play most styles of music I really really like playing music, and I am a bass player that can also sing most styles, not all lol. Have equipment out of the yin yang and can travel for the right opportunities. and happy holidays to one and all.[/b]