This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#28267 by gbheil
Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:46 pm
Christmas? Now I know who got into those shrooms :D Sounds like your just searchin for an excuse. Might I refer you to the Equipment Acuasition Addiction post. You need some therapy my man.

#28290 by Paleopete
Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:17 am
Morels...I'm jealous. Around here it's rainy off and on, pretty nice the past 2 days, and the "Meadow Mushroom" Agaricus Campestris will be here, as well as some softball sized brown puffballs that are pretty tasty. Don't have my book handy and I can't pull the name right off the top of my head.

Also have the occasional Boletus, but I'm wary of them since only one or two are easy to get a positive ID.

Lately though I've been looking up mostly. The last of the ducks have moved out except for the regulars that stay year round, Wood Ducks and maybe a couple of Blue Wing Teal. Beaver are out doing beaver stuff the past couple of weeks, and I've spotted a Bald Eagle nest as well as watched one kill and eat a fish about 3 or 4 weeks ago. Hoping to see them again, I think I spotted an immature one too, but couldn't get a good enough look.

And of course the usual woodpeckers, jays, cardinals and so forth, and have heard reports of a hummer or two. First two roses just started to open up today.

#28346 by philbymon
Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:46 pm
Damn, Pete! I sure could use a hummer around here...

The robins have landed, of course, & the hyacinths are up & smelly...can't wait for me lillies & moonflowers to bloom.

I'm tired of pine being the only green...thank heavens it's over!

Still, all in all I'm really glad I live in a place with 4 distinct seasons, & the mood swings that accompany them. Keeps the music fresh, doncha think?

#28361 by gbheil
Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:13 pm
We' got four seasons : Spring - F,n Hot - Fall - & Deer.

#28449 by FastFret
Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:08 pm
philbymon wrote:Only 'shrooms I'll eat around here are the morels & parasols...they can't be confused with anything else in my area.

There are a couple out here that will build up toxins in your body that stay there for years, until they eventually build up to the point that they kill you.

There are others that you can only eat safely at a single point in the growing/maturing process.

Too twitchy for me. I'll stick to what I KNOW is safe.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And JONLYKINS...I tried that kentucky jelly once. It tastes TERRIBLE!!!

(Well, that's what it said on the tube - "KY Jelly")

Actually Parasols are often confused with a Green Spored Lepiota that will churn your guts t0 hell :)

#28451 by philbymon
Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:14 pm
Yeah, but with my trusty field guide in hand, I got to know the dif

Good point, though...forgot about that...hope I didn't influence anyone to eat the wrong ones

#28493 by gbheil
Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:43 pm
Oh wow man its like the walls are breathing n stuff. Pretty colors Toooo!

#28545 by Paleopete
Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:20 pm
Psilocybe Cubensis...I wish I knew how many of those went through my party jar many years ago. My nickname at one time was "El Shroomo"...back when I was in central Texas, Bryan area. Dried them and kept a pint jar of dried ones behind the truck seat, Wed. and Sat. nites the party was always on...Gave 'em up after two hellacious nights a week for around 3 years, but it was sure plenty fun...especially when I was able to go a hunting just before the party and bring fresh ones.

No way I'll touch those things again, had enough in my younger days. Was that really 20 years ago????

These days the shrooms are for dinner only, all I bring to a party any more is a left handed one. Don't even drink any more...

Oh, the Meadow Mushroom I mentioned is much more common in fall, but a few should show up in spring too. The puffballs are excellent, if you've never tried them it's really simple to identify the right ones. If a puffball is white inside and does not stink, it's edible. And that's straight out of my field guide. The huge soccer ball sized off-white ones are excellent, brown softball size excellent, white and off-white golf ball size ones very good. I think there are two that are inedible, but non-poisonous, one is purple inside and stinks and another one green inside and stinks. the tiny white ones you see, about marble size, are edible, but usually by the time you spot them they are too old to fool with, the spores inside are ripening and turning green, plus they're too small. My favorites are the brown and light brown softball size puffballs, those are really good. Peel off the outer skin, slice 1/4" or so, saute in butter...I usually peel after slicing, makes it easier. Unfortunately morels are almost nonexistent around here, way too far south, so I've never been able to try any.

Here's a good link Puffballs
And a humorous excursion Fun With Puffballs And The Urge to Kick Puffballs might be a fun and informative read...
But spring is officially sprung around here, I have nearly a dozen roses open or in progress, some irises are opening up next door, Paper White Narcissus bloomed 3 or 4 weeks ago (usually the first blooms), Pecan trees have buds (last ones to bud out, always), and bass boats are commonly seen both on the road (fortunately attached to trucks) and in the yards being cleaned up for the year...

Tree rats? Don't care for 'em any more, not enough there to fool with and saw way too many on the table when I was a kid. These days the only shooting I do is with a camera. I do have a couple of guns and target practice now and then, but don't care a thing about freezing my butt off in a deer stand. I get cold much easier than most people, blood pressure has always been too low, along with no tolerance for cold temps. What sucks is since I was hit with a minor heat stroke in about 81 or so, I can't take the heat any more either...

But yeah, we have the same seasons here, spring, fall, damn it's hot and deer...

#28548 by philbymon
Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:36 pm
LOL...Last deer I shot was when I opened my kitchen window, propped the ol' 30/30 on the sugar canister, & fired one shot. It was about 5 AM, & I woke up the whole house! PISSED, they was, until they saw I had food (thank goodness I didn't miss!).

I hate the deer. They eat my hostas & day lillies.

I'll hafta look up those puffballs, Pete. Bet they aren't as good as the morels, though. DAMN I love those things!

#28562 by FastFret
Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:36 pm
Puffballs are good, especially the small softball sized ones. I don't care much for the giants..

There is some small puffballs called Earth Stars that ARE poisonous, but easily distinguished from a true puffball..

There are also some aminatas (deadly) that start off as an egg and resemble a small puffball, so if you ever cut a puffball and find gills n sh*t inside it don't eat!

#28567 by philbymon
Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:13 pm
Well...there IS one amanita..."muscaria" I think it's called...it's quite the hallucinogen, evidently...never tried it myself. But if you ever see the old movie called "The Bear," there's a scene where the cub eats one, & has all these Jim Henson visions...it's funny.

Those were eaten by the leaders of the Mongolian tribes. After they had eaten them, they would step to the door of thier yurt & pee into bowls held by the less elite. The peasants would drink it, & get higher than the ones who actually took the 'shrooms...is that where we get the expression "drunker than a lord?" J/K

Amanita Muscaria is red or yellow, with raised squarish or triangular whiter spots on 'em.

Ever read about them FastFret? I've read a bunch on psychotropic entheogens.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anyway, the redbuds are starting to bloom!!

YAY SPRING!

Of course, today is s'posed to be around 80 degrees...ugh! IT'S TOO SOON FOR THAT!!!

I dread summer.

I'll be wearing shorts this afternoon, though, you can bet on it.

#28573 by FastFret
Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:56 pm
Ya they are aka` Fly Agarics and they grow thick around here..

I would'nt eat them though I like my liver :) I abuse it enough with alcohol...

They call them fly agarics because the old timers used to put them in a bowl of milk and flies eat it and of course...die!

#28606 by HowlinJ
Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:01 am
Twenty whitetail in our woods yesterday! :shock: (Venison, smothered with mushrooms, mmmmmmmmm) :)

#28626 by Paleopete
Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:51 am
Amanita Muscaria, the one you usually see painted in fairy tale books. Wonder why???

Go ahead, pull out your copy of Grimm's and see...or just about any other fairy tale book. It's also all over a book I have on gnomes, you'll see it occasionally in animated movies, Alice in Wonderland...I don't know if it's in Wizard of Oz though...

I've read about the same tribal ritual, couldn't have remembered it was Mongolian though. Also used by American Indians I think, along with Psilocybe Cubensis and Peyote. Not all at the same time I hope...it's gonna git weird tonight boys, fasten your seatbelts...

I think the Amanita is also what Robert Plant munched on in the Song Remains the Same movie.